Author Topic: How do you use sub-fleets?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Eretzu (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
How do you use sub-fleets?
« on: April 26, 2020, 12:42:27 PM »
What it says in title.

What are you using sub-fleets for? (= how can I use them better :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:07:26 PM by Eretzu »

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
Re: How do you use sub-fleets?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 01:18:34 PM »
What it says in title.

What are you using sub-fleets for? (= how can I use them better :)

Any group of ships that I know I will be detaching to a single fleet at some point.
For example, fighter groups.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 02:28:52 PM »
It is also a way to organise fleets and task-forces. You can have a huge fleet with several hierarchies of sub-fleets that you may later detach.

So you might have say 1st Fleet, then that have TF11, TF24, TF26 as sub-fleets. In TF11 you might have TF11.1 (Carrier Group), TF11.2 (Cruiser Group), TF11.3 (Support Group). Under each one of those there can be more Sub-fleets if you have parasites attached to the ships in each group. So you might have say TF11.2 Victory 1.Scout-craft and TF11.2 Victory 2.Scout-craft... this is the Cruiser Victroy and its two onboard scout crafts.

If you numbers or word the sub fleets in a good way it also will be quite easy to detach and reform the groups as they need to.

The following users thanked this post: Eretzu

Offline Ri0Rdian

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: Ri0Rdian#3639
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 03:34:46 PM »
I was also not so sure about their purpose. So, essentially, Sub-Fleets are more or less administrative thing, all ships in subfleets and part of the same fleet are still at the same place (right?).

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 04:00:15 PM »
Yes... all Sub-fleets are in the same "Fleet" a fleet is a "Unit" on the system map. Sub-fleets are just a way to organise the ships and you can later detach and reattach them in any way you want. There are specific orders for doing just that. You target a fleet and you can select to join either the fleet directly (creating the Sub-fleet under the fleet) or you can select to attach to a specific Sub-fleet that is in that fleet again.

So If your fleet is made of or TF11, TF24, TF26 and you want your TF11.2 to join TF11 and the a new Sub-fleet named TF11.2 will be created with the same ships under the Sub-fleet TF11 in that fleet.

It is very useful to keep you sane when you have allot of ships.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:09:51 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: Ri0Rdian, Eretzu

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 04:41:40 PM »
One thing I do is under my Logistics command have a single 'Transport Fleet'. Within this I have several Cargo Groups, a Colonization Group, one or two Tug Groups, a Deployment group, a Tanker Group, etc. When I have need of their services I detach one of the groups, send it on its work, and then order it to rejoin the Transport fleet as a subgroup. This saves me the headache of having all of those as fleets visible on the tactical map atop earth, without having to fiddle with detaching individual ships and recombining them.

The following users thanked this post: Napier, Eretzu

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 04:49:22 PM »
One thing I do is under my Logistics command have a single 'Transport Fleet'. Within this I have several Cargo Groups, a Colonization Group, one or two Tug Groups, a Deployment group, a Tanker Group, etc. When I have need of their services I detach one of the groups, send it on its work, and then order it to rejoin the Transport fleet as a subgroup. This saves me the headache of having all of those as fleets visible on the tactical map atop earth, without having to fiddle with detaching individual ships and recombining them.

Yes... I do something similar... I usually have fleets like that and call them things like "Earth Commercial Anchorage Zone", "Earth Military Anchorage Zone" or something like it.