Author Topic: Ground based fighters  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Stardust (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
Ground based fighters
« on: November 21, 2012, 12:28:49 PM »
First, allow me to thank Steve for creating this beautiful, elegant simulator/game and for sharing it with us.

I'm currently into the 60th year of my first experiment.   My Empire consists of 15 populated colonies and growing, spread among numerous star systems.   I've got so much stuff going on, that it's sometimes hard to keep up; so much fun.

To this point I have not experienced combat other than ground based (by design), but have a military (~13333 km/s) and have now begun to add carriers and fighters (~25000 km/s) to my fleet.   My first carriers are still under construction, but I have many fighters in a comfy Earth based hangar awaiting deployment.

I mistakenly started building fighters before my hangars were ready and they suffered some maintenance failures.   However, I can not figure out how to repair my fighters that are armed with AS missiles and full of fuel.

Can this be done?

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
Re: Ground based fighters
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »
Fighters can only be repaired by placing them into a hangar. They will use the motherships maintainace supplies and damage control rating to conduct their repairs if they are better than the fighters own.

Offline Stardust (OP)

• S
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »
All of my fighters are based on a PDC on Earth with nothing but hangars.   Earth has abundant maintenance supplies, fuel and weapons.

I want to defend Earth with airfields housing these fighters armed with their badass weapons, but I can't figure out how to  repair these fighters if they come back with damage.

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 02:45:10 PM »
The maintenance supplies must actually be on-board the ship or PDC that the fighters are docked on.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »
Ah, I missed that you wanted to use a PDC hangar for them. I'm not entirely certain if you can perform repairs in a PDC as you cant place engineering spaces on one. However you can place 'damage control' and 'maintainance storage bay' onto PDC and that might be enough, have to test.

The alternative would be to build an orbital hangar big enough for a few fighters and rotate damaged fighters through it.

Offline vonduus

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »
I am having the same problem, my ground based fighters needed a repair, but didn't get one. I had to build a carrier with engineers and MSP, and now they are repaired. Ought to have been done on my ground base, though.

Offline Stardust (OP)

• S
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 09:10:50 PM »
My carriers are still under construction at the Patuxent River Naval Shipyard so a couple of my shiny new fighters remain in hangar while maintenance personnel complain of supply shortages.

I'll have to try adding 'damage control' and 'maintainance storage bay' to my installations.

vonduus -- Were they repaired just by placing them on your carrier?

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 09:36:02 PM »
They should automatically repair when you place them on a carrier, Stardust, although it will take a few in-game hours.

If you're in a rush to get them fixed you could always build a very small carrier with room for only a single fighter and some MSP - as long as your fighters you want to repair are under 250 tons. If you keep the baby carrier under 500 tons you can build it from your fighter factories and then cycle your other fighters through it in orbit to repair them. For example:

Code: [Select]
Daring class Carrier    495 tons     13 Crew     72 BP      TCS 9.9  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-5     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 136    AFR 1%    IFR 0%    1YR 0    5YR 0    Max Repair 25 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 300 months    Flight Crew Berths 3   
Hangar Deck Capacity 250 tons     

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes

Also useful if you want to station a bunch of fighters at a jump point for defense, just remember to make another tiny base that carries sensors!

Offline Stardust (OP)

• S
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 10:08:16 PM »
That's a neat idea, HaliRyan.

I'm in no rush to get them repaired.   It just bothers me that I'm unable to repair my ground based fighters without a ship containing a hangar bay.   Adding 'Damage control' and a 'Maintenance storage bay' to my PDC was not fruitful.

Thanks all.   Maybe Steve will tell us where the secret button is.

Offline Rabid_Cog

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 12:18:50 AM »
Perhaps you need to repair your fighters at a shipyard like any other ships? Should be fairly easy, just build a new shipyard and never upgrade its size. Instead, just make more slipways.
I have my own subforum now!
Shameless plug for my own Aurora story game:
5.6 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4988.0.html
6.2 part: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5906.0.html

Feel free to post comments!
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,5452.0.html

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 07:13:35 AM »
Perhaps you need to repair your fighters at a shipyard like any other ships? Should be fairly easy, just build a new shipyard and never upgrade its size. Instead, just make more slipways.

Shipyards don't see fighters, so that is not an option.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 09:54:05 AM »
I've noticed this problem as well, I use PDC's to store older fighters in expansion systems and as a temporary holding area while carriers are being built....they never seem to repair in PDC's, so I just use SM mode and fix them.   Turn on SM mode, and in the upper menu bar on the system screen there's a wrench Icon I think.  It will show you damaged ships/fighters.   Click on the ship and there should be a repair all SM/cheater button.

Offline Stardust (OP)

• S
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
That did the trick.   I've left one fighter in disrepair as my very 1st carriers ever are scheduled to be launched in 5 months or so.   Exciting times.

Thank you SteelChicken!

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 04:54:37 PM »
That's a neat idea, HaliRyan.

I'm in no rush to get them repaired.   It just bothers me that I'm unable to repair my ground based fighters without a ship containing a hangar bay.   Adding 'Damage control' and a 'Maintenance storage bay' to my PDC was not fruitful.

Thanks all.   Maybe Steve will tell us where the secret button is.
For some reason, PDCs don't see MSPs.  I'm not sure why.  The PDC code is being worked on at the moment.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman