Author Topic: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 173584 times)

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #540 on: November 16, 2016, 12:20:17 PM »
Engines have to have an external element to generate thrust however, meaning that it would work by the missiles going behind the ship, then powering as close to the engine as they can before going boom.
Not necessarily. There are plenty of Sci-Fi that I've read that describes types of internal engines that are basically mass chambers, energy drives, or gravity drives. Just because they produce enough heat to be visible from long range via sensors doesn't mean they are external. Also you could have the main bulk of engines tucked away in your armoring while having only the exhaust ports sticking out the back (if you want to think of the engines as advanced forms of traditional rockets).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #541 on: November 16, 2016, 12:45:04 PM »
Not necessarily. There are plenty of Sci-Fi that I've read that describes types of internal engines that are basically mass chambers, energy drives, or gravity drives.
But Aurora engine names are fusion rocket engine names.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:47:27 PM by serger »

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #542 on: November 16, 2016, 12:47:11 PM »
But Aurora engine names are fission-fragment rocket engine names.
Could be the types of reactors used to produce the energy for said internal drives.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #543 on: November 16, 2016, 12:52:01 PM »
But Aurora engines are not the same, as reactors.

P.S. I made a term mistake at previous post - fusion engines, not fission. But it's all engines with external jet part.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #544 on: November 29, 2016, 12:51:49 PM »
Would it be possible to add filter to System Generation and Display window for C# Aurora? Something like display only systems with colonies. As the number of discovered systems increases there are lot of systems that are not really useful, and I have to scroll through a long list to find systems with my colonies.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #545 on: November 29, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »
Would it be possible to add filter to System Generation and Display window for C# Aurora? Something like display only systems with colonies. As the number of discovered systems increases there are lot of systems that are not really useful, and I have to scroll through a long list to find systems with my colonies.
What do you need to search the System Information window for? I look at it when I'm surveying a new system, but after that I very rarely scroll through it from one system to the next. I might go to a specific system for info on minerals there, or something like that, but that's about it.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #546 on: November 29, 2016, 02:59:54 PM »
You dont really need to scroll throug it that much as you can do most of the things like setting up colonies and checking minerals form specific windows. It just crossed my mind when I was scrolling through it to look for planets with hydrosphere (I RP in my current game that you can have 0 cost colonies only on worlds with water), that it would be nice to be able to filter the list of star systems.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #547 on: November 29, 2016, 04:08:43 PM »
Ah, the RP angle makes more sense. The potential colonies screen is a bit lacking in detail for that kind of thing, would be nice if it clicked through to the system view containing the relevant body.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #548 on: November 29, 2016, 04:15:14 PM »
Yeah exactly, there is info about atmosphere and minerals, but from RP standpoint, maybe you are interested in hydrosphere or if the planet has magnetic field or if it is tidaly locked, and as far as I know this info is only in System Generation window.

Offline NihilRex

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #549 on: November 29, 2016, 07:33:21 PM »
Has there been any discussion of Force Directed Graphs for auto-arranging the interstellar maps?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #550 on: November 29, 2016, 07:43:36 PM »
Has there been any discussion of Force Directed Graphs for auto-arranging the interstellar maps?
A few times. But a lot of people prefer making their own maps. Plus, hidden connections and one-way points kind of defeat the coding to auto arrange the map.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:45:17 PM by 83athom »

Offline NihilRex

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #551 on: November 30, 2016, 10:46:25 AM »
Hidden connections can be given a negligible force, and one-way connections can be half-force...

I get frustrated trying to maintain my map, to be honest.

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #552 on: December 01, 2016, 07:05:51 PM »
I agree that having an auto range feature would be useful. It could just be a button that says "Arrange map" rather than something that happens every time you discover a system/open the map.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #553 on: December 05, 2016, 09:49:30 AM »
How about expanding the uses of PoWs. Maybe having an interrogation stance based on your government and/or racial stats. A hard stance would pull more info (better chance) but have a higher chance of killing the subject, and a softer one would have a lower chance of pulling information but probably would never kill a subject. The use on planets they would have; Dead: they could be researched giving a ground combat bonus (and boarding bonus) against the species in question (and the enemy could do that against your people to have the same effect). Alive: They could be studied and questioned, giving a bonus to diplomatic rolls (if your race preferred peace). Or you could return PoWs to an alien population to boost your political standing with them. Or you can store them on your worlds to eventually turn into forced labor units.

Offline Silvarelion

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #554 on: December 12, 2016, 07:50:00 PM »
I agree that a larger increment or a build-to option on commercial shipyards would be very helpful.  I wouldn't mind taking a productivity hit for the increased quality of life.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.
  ~The Mistake Not, Hydrogen Sonata, Iain Banks