Author Topic: Refitting fighters?  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Re: Refitting fighters?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 08:47:38 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
It's supposed to be reached from the main menu bar (in the Empires group).
Well, yes, but all screens save for that one and (I think) Foreign Aid can be easily accessed through the System Map, which I consider the central window, or through other windows. That puts those two screens kind of out of the way.

If not through new icons on the System Map, I'd suggest Race Details be linked in the Population and Production window (there's some room at the bottom), and Foreign aid in the main Diplomacy screen.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 09:09:48 AM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
I actually had it only at 2, but seeing how I had around 1.2 billion people total fueling nearly 60 research labs, I couldn't afford any ship, so I could bump it up quite a bit without drawbacks. I rely on my again outdated spaceforce, and I'll soon have to refit those cruisers for around 300% their cost and 5x the time effort into the new destroyer design ;)
It seems 2000 grade points is the highest you can reach without combat.

If your refitting with those level of costs your better off just building new and training up new crews.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline MoonDragon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 10:30:04 AM »
If you have a highly qualified pool of crew, make sure that they are not wasted on unnecessary postings (e.g. civ ships, tankers/colliers, jump tenders, etc.). To avoid using highly trained crew on such ships, make sure you tick off the 'conscript only' checkbox in the top right of the class design. Otherwise your lesser pool of highly trained crew will get depleted really fast.
(@)

Offline Shadow (OP)

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 09:28:48 AM »
Another somewhat related question: how do you repair fighters?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 11:25:59 AM »
Quote from: "Shadow"

That functionality isn't currently available.   It is on the suggestions list.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 11:24:40 PM »
If a fighter (or any other ship) is in a hangar bay, you can repair it using the damage control rating and maintenance supplies of the mothership. Just set the systems to be repaired in the Damage Control tab of the Ship window for the fighter and the mothership DC/supplies will automatically be used if they are greater than the parasite/fighter. You can create a repair ship by designing a class with hangar bays, damage control and lots of maintenance supplies. If the hangar bay is 6000 tons for example, you could repair ships of up to 6000 tons using this method, or a lot of fighters at once. The only thing you can't repair in this way is armour.

Steve

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 06:42:59 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
If a fighter (or any other ship) is in a hangar bay, you can repair it using the damage control rating and maintenance supplies of the mothership. Just set the systems to be repaired in the Damage Control tab of the Ship window for the fighter and the mothership DC/supplies will automatically be used if they are greater than the parasite/fighter. You can create a repair ship by designing a class with hangar bays, damage control and lots of maintenance supplies. If the hangar bay is 6000 tons for example, you could repair ships of up to 6000 tons using this method, or a lot of fighters at once. The only thing you can't repair in this way is armour.

Steve

I did forget about this functionality.  

Steve, we do still need a means to repair fighter armor.  Either fighter factory function or shipyard.  I'm sure that this is already on your looong list of needful things.  :D

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 06:52:21 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

Steve

I did forget about this functionality.  

Steve, we do still need a means to repair fighter armor.  Either fighter factory function or shipyard.  I'm sure that this is already on your looong list of needful things.  :D