Author Topic: Using SM to add a new race  (Read 1303 times)

Offline mllange (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • m
Using SM to add a new race
« on: April 06, 2010, 05:55:36 PM »
I'd like to create a new race in the Sol system and provide them with a fleet to do some combat testing.  How do I use the SM to add a new race?

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: Using SM to add a new race
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 06:24:27 PM »
Activate the SM Mode, by pressing Ctrl+S.
Open the System Creation Window,  F9.  At least I think it's F9.
Pick a suitable planet, Titan is a good one (It's a Moon of Saturn).
Click on it and click "Create Empire" in the SM functions menu in the lower right.
Don't bother with the other SM functions for now.
It will ask you if you want that race to be a methanebreathing race. Answer "Yes".
Set smeg up.
Finished.
Press F2, see if things are alright.
You can switch  between different empires in most windows.
If you want to test at a specific test level, go to research and pick them, or click the "All research" Button in the lower task bar in the Economics window and choose up to which price you want to grant them free tech.

You should be pretty much set.

Keep in mind you can of course also create a race on a Planet that at first is uninhabitable.
To do that, create a colony on that planet with you main race or the SM Race, open Economics (F2), go to Environment, set the atmosphere up the way you need it using SM functions, then abbandon the colony and proceed to create an Empire on it like above.

Hope this helps.

Offline mllange (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • m
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »
Much appreciated!  On to the experiment...

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 06:54:50 PM »
If you want the new race to be able to build stuff on its own, you'll probably want to press the "HW Minerals" button on their planet, too, to make sure they have minerals.

Offline Mikeck

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:36:33 PM »
Ok, a follow up question: I created an sm race and used it to create a npr race on a planet. I didn't know about the colony thing so I didn't think I could change the atmosphere. End result is that the npr inhabits a cold planet with a 2 colony cost. Can I either:
1. Go back, set up a colony and change the atmosphere without destroying the npr in the process.

Or

2.  Will the npr terrafor their own planet?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:01:23 PM »
Quote from: "Mikeck"
Ok, a follow up question: I created an sm race and used it to create a npr race on a planet. I didn't know about the colony thing so I didn't think I could change the atmosphere. End result is that the npr inhabits a cold planet with a 2 colony cost. Can I either:
1. Go back, set up a colony and change the atmosphere without destroying the npr in the process.

Or

2.  Will the npr terrafor their own planet?
As long as the planet has either methane or oxygen the npr will consider the planet to be perfect for them.  Their atmospheric density limits and gas concentrations will be based on THEIR home planet, not yours.

Brian