Author Topic: SM create conventional starting conditions?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline White Owl (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • W
SM create conventional starting conditions?
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:53:07 PM »
I find I really enjoy the conventional starts, since I like building up from the very beginning.  But this frequently leaves me badly handicapped vs.  most normally generated races.  I'm looking for ways to not exactly cheat. . .  just level the playing field a little bit at the start of a new game.

Is it possible to SM mode a scientist in, so I at least can start with one guy for each necessary field? If so, how?

How can I add a commercial shipyard at the start?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: SM create conventional starting conditions?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 12:17:09 AM »
With SM active, go to the Shipyard Management tab of the Economics screen. On the middle right, next to the shipyard tasks, is a button which allows you to toggle the box on the edge. Then you can add a new shipyard of the appropriate size and slips.

For a conventional start, don't generate any NPRs until a few years in. They start at your level, except in a pre-TN condition. Then you are severely handicapped for a while.

Offline White Owl (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • W
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 12:34:01 AM »
That's very helpful, thanks.   :)

Immediately after starting this thread, I discovered the "replace all" button on the Leaders screen.  With a little bit of experimentation, I see how to repeatedly generate new batches of scientists until I get a good starting mix.  Ain't no sense in starting out with three Biology/Genetics dudes and no Power/Propulsion.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 01:57:58 AM »
You can also start with, say 500 million people. The generated NPRs will be based on that. Then up your population/conventional industry to, perhaps 750 million. Also remember to up the mineral count on earth, to account for all those factories/mines/yards, you start out with in a TN start.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany