Author Topic: A pile of noob questions  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
A pile of noob questions
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »
Hey folks-

I'm a few years into my first game.   I'm generally managing, but I've got a few questions:

- Geology teams: how can I tell where they are at the moment?  Is there a way to judge their progress on their current survey?

- Can I put colonists on an asteroid?

- Where can I see how many of a given installation I have on a planet?

- One of my ships suffered a maintenance failure.  Is there somewhere in the ship screen where I can see that there is a failed system?

- It took 30 days to load ~100 MSP onto one of my ships.   Is that normal?

- My homeworld had 20,000 duranium at 0. 8.   That's a bit low, isn't it?

Offline icecoldblood

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: A pile of noob questions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »
1.You can go to the leaders screen, select one of the officers in the geo team and their location should be shown in the current location box. You cannot see their progress since its mainly random.

2.You cannot place infastructure-based colony on asteriods because of the low gravity. You can however place orbital habitats and house your colonists there.

3.Colony summary screen in population and production.

4. Ships requiring repair screen. Cant remember the shortcut though.

5. AFAIK it's instant.

6. Assuming you did NOT use the standard sol start, you should have gone into the system info screen and use SM mode to generate homeworld minerals. Duranium is normally found in double quantities than others.

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 01:49:23 AM »
It's an icon with a wrench at the top of the system map screen.

It should be done instantly, like when you refuel.  Maybe you don't have enough MSP.  Check your maintenance supply status at the colony summary screen.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 04:36:53 AM »
4.When a "maintenance failure" occurs a check is made to see whether you have sufficient maintenance supply points. If you do, no damage is actually applied to the ship you only loose some maintenance supply points. Damage is only applied when you have insufficient MSP on the ship in question.

Hence it might be that none of your ships is actually damaged at all.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 07:40:53 AM »
4. To expand on this a little.  The event log should tell you which ship had a maintenance failure and if it was repaired with onboard msp and how many msp remain.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 11:36:51 AM »
2.You cannot place infastructure-based colony on asteriods because of the low gravity. You can however place orbital habitats and house your colonists there.

This actually depends on the gravity of the asteroid and the lower edge of the grav range of your race (which can be as low as 0.1G).  Admittedly asteroids with gravity>0.1G are going to be rare (or non-existent), but AFAIK it shouldn't make a difference for placing a population if the colony is on a world or asteroid.

John

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 07:17:04 AM »
Thank you gentlemen.   A couple follow-ups:

- So I'm not sure what to do when I drop a geology team somewhere and I just don't hear from them for a while.   Is it because they're still working, or because they didn't find anything and are now hanging out?

- If I put an orbital habitat around an asteroid, can the population on the habitat run mines and factories on the asteroid?

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:47:07 AM »
- They 'll tell you when they're done. If in doubt, you can check the first page of the economy window. Right under Tectonics, it says either Geo Survey Completed or not completed. That's the Team survey, not the orbital survey.

- Yes

Offline Konisforce

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »
- So I'm not sure what to do when I drop a geology team somewhere and I just don't hear from them for a while.   Is it because they're still working, or because they didn't find anything and are now hanging out?

Also, don't worry too much about them just 'hanging out'.  If you have the default message settings, they'll send you a notice every 5-day saying "Hey jackass, we told you we're done looking, now get us off this forsaken rock".  But, y'know, politer.
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR