Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 266235 times)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #300 on: June 22, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »
I just realized that one of my GEO survey squadrons has been on task force training for 5 years. Isnt that a bit much?

Why train your Geo/Grav squadrons?

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #301 on: June 22, 2012, 03:37:20 PM »
Better question is why you are task force training a non-combat ship?

oooo, sniped!

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #302 on: June 22, 2012, 04:07:31 PM »
Yeah, but they'll look real good flying in formation  ;D
Living up to my username. . .

gamemonger56

« Reply #303 on: June 22, 2012, 04:51:42 PM »
i was curious because of the awaiting confirmation that bites us in the butt when we get attacked and orders to run \have to wait for that.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #304 on: June 22, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »
i was curious because of the awaiting confirmation that bites us in the butt when we get attacked and orders to run \have to wait for that.

Everyone knows the Survey Corps are expendable ;)

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #305 on: June 22, 2012, 11:09:04 PM »
Everyone knows the Survey Corps are expendable ;)

Seriously, that's the price you pay for playing Gagarin or Armstrong. Just keep the survey fleets cheap!  8)

gamemonger56

« Reply #306 on: June 23, 2012, 04:44:13 PM »
wow, working for you guys must be like working for Vader :)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #307 on: June 23, 2012, 06:01:54 PM »
wow, working for you guys must be like working for Vader :)

We need a force lightning and choke emoticon...

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #308 on: June 24, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
Just hit another system full of the hostile aliens I mentioned before. Multiple ships this time. Their FAC have a nasty bite. One wing of four took out a missile destroyer escourt with a single volley of missiles, then retreated... Only in range long enough for me to fire a volley of ASM from one of my missile destroyers. Sadly, it never impacted; they moved outside of its maximum range quickly. I called off the attack and retreated... but since one jump ship was destroyed, it lead to a nailbiting cliffhanger- having escourted one group of missile destroyers through the jump point, my one remaining jump ship had to go back and grab the other group. The whole time at 5 second intervals. I was awaiting a second volley of incoming missiles at any time, while the escourt's jump engines recovered to make the remaining jump...

They made it, no further attacks. I waited at the jump point for 60 days just in case they tried to follow. At point blank, while they were blinded, I could have probably done serious damage. They probably realized this, and didn't follow. I'll need to drop a buoy at that jump point so I can have advance warning if they come through again, though it's still several jumps away from my home system.

In the meantime, I've noticed their craft and missiles have incredible speed, but that's about it- they're overloaded on engines and warheads, and don't have room to pack ammo for a sustained assault. Therein lies the key. I'm researching better thermal sensors to give my AMM a chance to intercept, and ECM to force them to close to a range to where they can't escape my ASM counter-assault.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #309 on: June 24, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
In the meantime, I've noticed their craft and missiles have incredible speed, but that's about it- they're overloaded on engines and warheads, and don't have room to pack ammo for a sustained assault. Therein lies the key. I'm researching better thermal sensors to give my AMM a chance to intercept, and ECM to force them to close to a range to where they can't escape my ASM counter-assault.

Resolution-1 active sensors rather than thermal sensors are the key to detecting incoming ASM. Thermal will only detect them quite late whereas res-1 active will detect at them at several hundred thousand to several million kilometers, depending on size and tech.

Steve

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #310 on: June 24, 2012, 10:07:38 PM »
Thanks. Better redesign my racial tech then... :)

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #311 on: June 25, 2012, 10:06:24 AM »
A rather catastrophical battle, only one command cruiser escaped and even that was only because of it's thick armour and massive point defences.
The designs of my missiles, missile frigates, and other essential technologies need a complete overhaul. The hostiles used massive amounts of size 1 missiles in salvoes that consisted of 36 of those bastards.

Offline Shininglight

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #312 on: June 27, 2012, 09:56:17 AM »
...I did a conventional start and started my first SY pn cont cap Expansion...... 40 in game years ago.... it nows has over 2 million tonnes of capacity.... what should i do with it?..... I don't think ihave the minerals for a Ship that BIG!...... be fun if i wer to build one though, anyone for a two million ton orbital habitat armed with hundreds of missile launchers and lasers?
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #313 on: June 27, 2012, 04:00:01 PM »
...I did a conventional start and started my first SY pn cont cap Expansion...... 40 in game years ago.... it nows has over 2 million tonnes of capacity.... what should i do with it?..... I don't think ihave the minerals for a Ship that BIG!...... be fun if i wer to build one though, anyone for a two million ton orbital habitat armed with hundreds of missile launchers and lasers?

I think it's obvious what you should do with it; make it bigger!  ;D

I had a game that went almost 100 years where I wound up building a massive 4m+ ton shipyard. Used it to construct a couple enormous freighters and colony ships. Creating new colonies was never so easy as after that, it was awesome.

Oh, but for the record you don't need a shipyard for orbital habitats, they get built directly by industry.

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #314 on: June 27, 2012, 05:31:31 PM »
8th May
Empire of the Rising Sun - Promising New Officer - Tokyo - Chikanatsu Ai has joined your army officer corps.  Political Reliability 30%.  Promotion Score 900

She might be useless in a fight, but boy, is she cute!
=(

Perhaps I can find a replacement battalion to stick her in and use for parades. 

21st May
Empire of the Rising Sun - Production - Tokyo - Construction of Military Academy completed on Mizuho

Let's hope the new kids do better.