Author Topic: Why ever research Active Sensor Strength?  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Xenogenic (OP)

• Leading Rate
Why ever research Active Sensor Strength?
« on: May 24, 2012, 10:47:49 AM »
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could help me out. 

I'm trying to upgrade my sensors, and I've been wondering what tech to research.   I pulled up an Excel sheet, and something doesn't seem to add up: Increasing your Active Sensor Strength doesn't seem to increase range.   Only EM Detection seems to do anything due to the "Sensitivity Modifier.  "

As an example:
The formula for sensor range is: Sensor Range = Sensor Strength x Size x SQRT(Resolution) x EM Sensitivity x 10000 km

My calculations are in the attachment.

I'm getting the same range on a same size same resolution sensor regardless of active sensor strength 10 or 12.

Can it be that EM Sensitivity alone determines range? If so, why are the active sensor techs available for research?

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
Re: Why ever research Active Sensor Strength?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 11:06:20 AM »
I think you have answered that for yourself, the sensor strength is the first multiple on your spreadsheet.

Rather than try and work it out out of the game just build two sensors in the game with the same size, EM sensitivity and resolution but with two different sensor strengths, you will see that it directly increases range.

Offline Xenogenic (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 11:23:39 AM »
 :-\ Alright I'll give it a shot.  The calculation shows that it wouldn't increase range however. . .  Maybe I'm missing something here.

Offline wedgebert

• Ace Wiki Contributor
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • w
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
Looking at your calculations, why is your sensitivity modifier different for the Str 12 sensors than the Str 10?

You've got an EM Sensitiviy of 5 giving a modifer of 0.5 for Str 10 (which is correct), but 0.42 for Str 12 (whic is incorrect).

If you correct that column, you'll get
Str   Size  Sens
10 * 10 * 0.5 * 10000 = 500,000 KM
12 * 10 * 0.5 * 10000 = 600,000 KM