Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 267353 times)

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #465 on: March 06, 2013, 06:22:53 PM »
holy crap, coolest scenario ever...definitely doing some fiction about this this weekend. This whole situation happened without any planning on my part:

100+ years game here, a 2 year project I began at the outset of graduate school.

My fleets are in their third generation now, but there are some second generation ships around from before the advent of the fusion age....the oldest one being the *name withheld* survey cruiser (the name is the coolest part). These ships have plasma engines, I kept them around mostly to do surveys of peaceful alliance space, tracking down stray jump points and conducting comprehensive surveys of backwater systems....they've lived past their glory years.

Between UN Space and the territory of the aloof Sculptor Star Empire, there lies a black hole, designated Cthulhu. It's class III, so I never bothered to survey it. War has always been a looming possibility with the Sculptor, and black holes are really cool, so it seemed like a good idea to eventually survey it...I recently decided to send two of these survey cruisers to scout the black hole for possible hidden entrances into the heartland of the Sculptor empire. This was a tedious assignment, but both ships were in good condition, and moved at 5000 kps, a good enough clip that there was no chance of an accident.

...there was an accident. On their way home from the survey (I kid you not, they completed the survey and began moving home) one ship, the ship the class was named for, had a terrible accident...one of the plasma engines flared out. Simultaneously, its companion ship suffered a failure of its primary sensor suite. The odds of this happening, with two ships with a maintenance life of just over 1 year, is very low. I'm interpreting this as a catastrophic failure...the plasma engine exploded and shorted out the sensors of the relatively nearby companion ship, likely by billowing plasma over a 10,000 kilometer area.

Now there were enough maintenance supplies to fix everything just fine, of course, but we never appreciate how damn heroic this is: the event horizon of a collapsed star less than 10 light-minutes away....engines flaring plasma wildlely into space, transformers exploding, spacewalk crews scrambling to shut everything down, patch everything up, and restart everything again, before the ship falls onto a trajectory that will bring it close enough to the black hole to get wrenched into spaghetti....

So, a heroic repair in deep space, 10 light minutes away from the raging core of a collapsed star.

And the name of the survey cruiser? Well, they're named for explorers, the companion ship, the second in the production line, was called the Armstrong

The first...why the Shackleton of course. Shackleton Class Survey ships were the most famous ships during the second era of exploration.

So the Shackleton endures a disaster, and a total crew survival, very similar to the one shackleton went through.

But this time....IN SPAAAAAAACCCCCEEEEEEEE
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline MehMuffin

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #466 on: March 06, 2013, 08:03:40 PM »
I kind of like the idea of an optional 'exceed recommended maximum power' option for the engines.  Semi-similar to something I read in Steve's Starfire fiction.  You can run the engines like that for short duration but failure potential goes through the roof and when it would fail in an over-driven state the chance to catastrophically fail is increased.
Reminds me of the weapons used by soldiers planetside in Evan Curry's Warrior's Wings military space opera series, with the "up to 11" option only known to the special ops soldiers.

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #467 on: March 08, 2013, 09:32:29 AM »
R.I.P. Grand Admiral Shiroyama
On the 6th February, at the age of 71, Grand Admiral Kiku Shiroyama passed away peacefully in her bed. Just a month prior the Grand Admiral had completed her 50th year in service of the Imperial Navy, and her death leaves the command position in the Fleet Headquarters on Salay vacant - A position she held for almost 25 years. This marks the end of increasing health problems of the elderly but mentally fit Grand Admiral. Furthermore, she was the last officer still alive that had enlisted prior to the advent of trans-newtonian technologies and the first person to transit a jump point.

:'(

Offline Maharava

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #468 on: March 09, 2013, 07:36:54 PM »
The first Deep Space Survey Cruiser, the Flinders Class Sonic is under construction. Sporting the most advanced technology known to the Australian Empire, including a quad-meson cannon and an array of point-defense lasers, the Sonic is designed for long deployment (over six years) and comes equipped with a Geo Survey, a Grav Survey and a Sorium Scoop to help it expand known territory while it's low-signature drives and high-powered passive sensors should enable it to survey alien systems with little attention drawn
Australia, home of the over-paid minion

I play Eve! Message Suzanne Winters for a friend :D

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #469 on: March 09, 2013, 08:16:38 PM »
The Australian Empire?

Please, I must hear this back story!

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #470 on: March 09, 2013, 08:44:26 PM »
The Kangaroos took over, using the lethal wildlife to subdue humanity, and went for the stars  :D

Offline Maharava

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #471 on: March 09, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »
The Kangaroos took over, using the lethal wildlife to subdue humanity, and went for the stars  :D
Close

It was an alliance of gentically-enhanced Blue-ringed Octopi and the Drop Bears, Began by subduing outback towns in the Northern Territory and Tasmania and, naturally, everyone ignored it because nobody likes those ares (lol). By the time we knew what was coming, the Kangaroos were intelligent and riding giant Frill-necked Lizards and the Platypi had become ninjas. The rest is pretty predictable: total world domination and the colonisation of Mars by the new breed of Martian Koala

EDIT

I wonder how many non-aussies will get the place and animal references...

Offline Shininglight

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #472 on: March 10, 2013, 07:14:33 PM »
I get it.
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #473 on: March 11, 2013, 07:05:36 AM »
I get it as well.  Must say that it sounds like the back story to an anime series though!!   :o
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Maharava

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #474 on: March 12, 2013, 04:39:23 AM »
Dear god it does...right! Rewriting history <runs away muttering and scribbling>

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #475 on: March 15, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »
Started my first multi-faction game. I'm feeling a sudden surge of respect for people who did the same ... All those windows and events x_X

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #476 on: March 18, 2013, 06:04:18 AM »
Use the new production overview window - it allows you to track multiple races at once

Steve

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #477 on: March 23, 2013, 02:25:34 PM »
Come on Steve, now your just teasing us! ;)

Offline Maharava

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #478 on: March 25, 2013, 12:16:05 AM »
Just launched the first of my new Carriers, the River-class Adelaide.
Then realised I forgot engines

/facepalm

Offline Jikor

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #479 on: March 27, 2013, 09:03:39 AM »
Now It's an orbital Starbase!