Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 267316 times)

Iranon

Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1425 on: May 26, 2016, 06:20:09 AM »
Fair points, especially shipyard capacitry - the main cost of throwaway warships isn't resources but tying up shipyards that may have something better to do.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1426 on: May 26, 2016, 07:31:18 AM »
Fought Swarm Carrier and its host of FAC's with my Destroyer Fleet after rescuing those 42 guys at the last moment.

Emptied entire fleet magazine ( more than 1k missiles ) at those FAC's and haven't killed even one ( that is what you get when you have missiles with str-1 WH and 11% hit chance ) . Thankfully they had to close the range to fire their mesons so i could shred them with my railguns.

Final score :

20 FAC's dead, Swarm Carrier slightly damaged
FNS Tecumseh Sherman, FNS Charles De Gaulle and FNS Marshall Zhukov heavily damaged, FNS Patton had to be scuttled because op the critical damage.

And their is still a full blown 16k Thermal signature Swarm Matriarch in that system, one jump from Earth that has no active defenses beyond my fleet that has proven to be, how can we say it ?? Less than competent and effective :( ....

EDIT : Okay this is officialy strange.
See the pic - there is a swarm fleet duking it out with some alyums. I can detect meson cannons firing at 8 BN KM but i cant detect Swarm Matriarch and TWO Queens who are around the waypoint 1 and alien ships around survey point 18 ( i used SM mode to check this out ) ?? Viking has full em/thermal sensor suite, why the hell i cant see them but i can see energy impacts  ??
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:49:03 AM by Lossmar »
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #1427 on: May 27, 2016, 12:57:02 AM »
EDIT : Okay this is officialy strange.
See the pic - there is a swarm fleet duking it out with some alyums. I can detect meson cannons firing at 8 BN KM but i cant detect Swarm Matriarch and TWO Queens who are around the waypoint 1 and alien ships around survey point 18 ( i used SM mode to check this out ) ?? Viking has full em/thermal sensor suite, why the hell i cant see them but i can see energy impacts  ??

Because having anything in the system is enough to be shown Energy Weapon Impacts - Steve added them so he could see what was happening when he otherwise couldn't.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1428 on: May 27, 2016, 02:16:54 PM »
Because having anything in the system is enough to be shown Energy Weapon Impacts - Steve added them so he could see what was happening when he otherwise couldn't.

Really ?? Thats little unrealistic but i guess its a nice convinience.

They are flinging some serious ordnance there - i detect str 13-15 nuclear explosions every 5-10 seconds.
I even had a couple of ~~250 str secondary explosions so i guess either someone smashed some bugs or they blew up a magazine full of missiles on alien ship.
Meanwhile my survey craft stays low and hugs the JP like mad - i have no weapons on him, no defences and i cant transit back to Sol because its a dormant JP and there is no gate here and i have no jump drive and no jump ships in service ....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:46:20 PM by Lossmar »
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.

Iranon

« Reply #1429 on: May 27, 2016, 10:28:45 PM »
Really ?? Thats little unrealistic but i guess its a nice convinience.

Apparently, regular Newtonian things are no challenge for period sensors. Sending the tiniest of shuttles into a new system instantly gives us information about all bodies. Functioning ships are hard to detect, wrecks are visible. Visible weapon impacts seem consistent with this... and make the game more interesting too.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1430 on: May 28, 2016, 05:21:02 AM »
Apparently, regular Newtonian things are no challenge for period sensors. Sending the tiniest of shuttles into a new system instantly gives us information about all bodies. Functioning ships are hard to detect, wrecks are visible. Visible weapon impacts seem consistent with this... and make the game more interesting too.

As for planets - visual survey isn't that hard especially for TN spacecraft. I would support the feature where you have to orbit the planet before getting to know the atmo composition, gravity etc like with Tn minerals presence.
But there is a difference between visually detecting 12k diameter rocky planet and str 1 energy weapon impact from 8 Bn km.

And as for wrecks IIRC Steve told something about it being a technical issue because adding "wreck detection" would drastically drag out turns processing times.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1431 on: May 28, 2016, 05:47:11 AM »
Wrecks used to be detected with sensors, but it added processing time and not much in terms of game play. You had to mark the locations of wrecks before you moved out of sensor range and had to search systems for wrecks. That was tedious rather than interesting so I made them visible all the time.

The techno babble is that any TN ship is barely visible in our universe as it is moving mainly through the liquid-like dimension adjacent to ours (TN elements span that dimension and ours). Once a ship is wrecked it fully emerges into our dimension and it easy to detect (Just like planets, moons, etc.).

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1432 on: June 01, 2016, 02:01:20 PM »
Well my community game has gone into full crisis mode.  might have launches next turn. 
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #1433 on: June 02, 2016, 05:59:24 AM »
Hey, we didn't want you to be bored.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Drgong

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1434 on: June 02, 2016, 12:08:03 PM »
Hey, we didn't want you to be bored.  ;D

If the launches do happen, I should livefeed the game so everyone can see WW3 in action. 
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline Red Dot

• Registered
  • Commander
  • R
« Reply #1435 on: June 02, 2016, 04:43:21 PM »
It will not last very long....

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1436 on: June 05, 2016, 08:12:02 AM »
I hope its a Golden Throne, not some forgotten Warp Storm creating device ....
Emperor protects.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #1437 on: June 13, 2016, 02:13:30 PM »
My attempts at a Star Trek themed gamed are starting to fall apart.  I put in a load of self imposed restrictions to try and match the Trek vibe - all ships have to have warp engines (jump engines), phasers (ie lasers only), shields and science divisions (geological and gravitational sensors).  It seemed like a cool idea, but has just ended up with me having lots of large, expensive survey ships which still aren't any use in a fight against spoilers.

I think I'm going to need to change my sci-fi inspiration for the next game.  Maybe B5. . .  I rather like the idea of testing the new "Declare Independence" button on Mars, and fighters and space stations seem more militarily sustainable. 

Hello everyone, first post, but I've been playing the game for a while.  As you can see I tend to go for a RP style rather than a min/max approach.  I love the freedom Aurora gives you for that.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1438 on: June 13, 2016, 03:00:06 PM »
My attempts at a Star Trek themed gamed are starting to fall apart.  I put in a load of self imposed restrictions to try and match the Trek vibe - all ships have to have warp engines (jump engines), phasers (ie lasers only), shields and science divisions (geological and gravitational sensors).  It seemed like a cool idea, but has just ended up with me having lots of large, expensive survey ships which still aren't any use in a fight against spoilers.

I think I'm going to need to change my sci-fi inspiration for the next game.  Maybe B5. . .  I rather like the idea of testing the new "Declare Independence" button on Mars, and fighters and space stations seem more militarily sustainable. 

Hello everyone, first post, but I've been playing the game for a while.  As you can see I tend to go for a RP style rather than a min/max approach.  I love the freedom Aurora gives you for that.

And now you know why the Star Trek model is not viable. :)

Offline lennson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
« Reply #1439 on: June 13, 2016, 10:00:01 PM »
I am curious as to what you have tried in terms of your Star Trek themed ships.  I can see that a purely laser strategy would have issue but if we interpret "photon torpedoes" as large long range missiles it might be possible to make something battle worthy (i. e.  not get blown to pieces before firing).

I thought the theme of the Federation was really powerful sensor technology which would go well with large long range missiles.  This also happens to work well with ships that aren't particularly good at taking damage.

I think the main challenge with applying designs from science fiction to Aurora is how powerful missiles are in Aurora.