Author Topic: 2.5 Suggestions  (Read 8858 times)

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
Bouys and mines
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2008, 06:40:48 PM »
After reading Haegen's latest post (about using bouys as decoys) it got me thinking about a new technology to create mines/bouys.

We've got missiles that can mount active sensors, and so can detect their own targets or act as recon missiles. However, their endurance is limited (as in it is measured in minutes - not days or months).

What might be an idea, is that if you strip out the engines, you can put in a long-term power source (i.e. a mini reactor) used to power the bouy/mine for a LONG time.

In this manner, you can convert a recon missile to a sensor bouy, and convert a missile to a contact mine (although I would recommend leaving the ability to have a small engine and fuel supply to allow the mine to be semi-mobile - similar to a Captor mine).

Comments?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by MWadwell »
Later,
Matt

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Shipyard reassign
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2008, 05:17:00 AM »
Quote from: "vergeraiders"
Its way to easy to mistakenly reassing a shipyard form re-tool to add slipway/increase size.

This can wipe out months of progress in a single click. Even with the warning its easy to click through the warning.

Could there be a SM function that could do a single level undo on the last shipyard task assignment?

Unfortunately that's quite tricky. I will add an "Are you really, really sure?" second warning box.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2008, 05:21:43 AM »
It doesn't help restore a retooling that was due to be finished in less than a month :(

And the set Start Class button is always grayed out.

The Set Start class button is enabled if you choose a shipyard that has no class set and you select the class to which you want to retool it. In v2.6, the Set Start class button is not required because if you use the set activity button for retooling on an empty shipyard, it happens instantly.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Bouys and mines
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2008, 05:24:55 AM »
Quote from: "MWadwell"
After reading Haegen's latest post (about using bouys as decoys) it got me thinking about a new technology to create mines/bouys.

We've got missiles that can mount active sensors, and so can detect their own targets or act as recon missiles. However, their endurance is limited (as in it is measured in minutes - not days or months).

What might be an idea, is that if you strip out the engines, you can put in a long-term power source (i.e. a mini reactor) used to power the bouy/mine for a LONG time.

In this manner, you can convert a recon missile to a sensor bouy, and convert a missile to a contact mine (although I would recommend leaving the ability to have a small engine and fuel supply to allow the mine to be semi-mobile - similar to a Captor mine).

That's a really good idea. I need to give some thought to how I would implement it but perhaps a reactor could use fuel at the normal rate, instead of the 10,000x rate of a missile engine. There would still be a question of the mechanics involved in terms of how the missile actually attacked the target. As you suggest, perhaps an engine that only activates once a target is detected. I'll give it some thought.

Steve

Offline vergeraiders

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2008, 10:24:38 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Unfortunately that's quite tricky. I will add an "Are you really, really sure?" second warning box.

Steve

I think what i would find more useful is more info in the warning box.

Something like

"You are trying to reassign the Imperial Starworks shipyard to retool to build Imperial Class Stardestoyers. It is currently 98.5% done retooling to build Super Class Stardestroyers. Are you sure you want to continue?"

At least for me the trick is telling me the SY selected (cause it has a habit of unselecteng the 'current' one after you complete the previous operation) and letting me know the current project.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by vergeraiders »

Offline Randy

• Sub-Lieutenant
(No subject)
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2008, 10:43:01 AM »
Steve Walmsley wrote:

Steve

How about adding a check box to allow/disallow early termination of retooling?

Have it by default unselected so that you can't order retooling of a SY that is currently retooling...

(You could also do somethng similar for the option to assign to a new Task force :) )
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Randy »

Offline vergeraiders

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
(No subject)
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2008, 01:30:28 PM »
Could you look at the criteria for assigning minimum officer grade to ships.

Specifically armed ships 1000 tons and under.

My 1000 ton fast attack craft with 1 10 cm laser have the same officer requirements as my 10,000 ton battleships with 3 tripple 20cm laser turrets!

Maybe a -1 (or R2 whichever is lower) minumum grade for any ship that does not require a bridge?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by vergeraiders »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2008, 10:35:09 AM »
Could you look at the criteria for assigning minimum officer grade to ships.

Specifically armed ships 1000 tons and under.

My 1000 ton fast attack craft with 1 10 cm laser have the same officer requirements as my 10,000 ton battleships with 3 tripple 20cm laser turrets!

Maybe a -1 (or R2 whichever is lower) minumum grade for any ship that does not require a bridge?

I'll take a look at this but in the meantime you can assign your own minimum grade for each class on the class window.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2008, 10:36:03 AM »

Something like

"You are trying to reassign the Imperial Starworks shipyard to retool to build Imperial Class Stardestoyers. It is currently 98.5% done retooling to build Super Class Stardestroyers. Are you sure you want to continue?"

At least for me the trick is telling me the SY selected (cause it has a habit of unselecteng the 'current' one after you complete the previous operation) and letting me know the current project.

I have changed the message as you suggested above.

Steve

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2008, 04:48:41 PM »
On the Ship design screen, add filters for the class drop down for warships, freighters, pdc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Randy

• Sub-Lieutenant
(No subject)
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2008, 08:43:47 AM »
How about adding a check box to allow/disallow early termination of retooling?  I'd _much_ rather have this than a long message  - this way no extra click is needed for the normal state.

Have it by default unselected so that you can't order retooling of a SY that is currently retooling...

(You could also do something similar for the option to assign to a new Task force  )

vergeraiders wrote:

Something like

Steve replied:
I have changed the message as you suggested above.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Randy »

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)