Author Topic: System generation algorithm needs update  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Haji (OP)

• Captain
System generation algorithm needs update
« on: May 06, 2013, 07:27:58 PM »
One of the things every astronomer will tell you is that Sol is an average star. Average size, average age, average everything. However, after 6.0 patch, Sol is pretty much the single biggest star system in the game. It is very hard if not impossible, to create a system with more objects. You may create a system with, say, more planets or more moons, but a system with more planets, moons and asteroids at once? I don't think I have seen one yet.

Which is why I think the system generation algorithm needs to be updated so that very large systems, sometimes with 20 or more planets, are generated in some numbers.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re: System generation algorithm needs update
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:18:25 PM »
Are you seeing this on new system creation where you directly create a system or in the systems automatically generated after entering an unexplored jump point?

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:45:42 AM »
Id like this change, it would give us a lot more opportunities to find strategic asteroids to build PDCs or DSTSs on near jump points.

It would also probably force everyone to play without asteroid movements enabled due to the large amounts of them.

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 05:23:45 PM »
One of the things every astronomer will tell you is that Sol is an average star. Average size, average age, average everything. However, after 6.0 patch, Sol is pretty much the single biggest star system in the game. It is very hard if not impossible, to create a system with more objects. You may create a system with, say, more planets or more moons, but a system with more planets, moons and asteroids at once? I don't think I have seen one yet.

Which is why I think the system generation algorithm needs to be updated so that very large systems, sometimes with 20 or more planets, are generated in some numbers.

Sol is actually very, very large for a star.  It's in the 90+ percentile among known stars by mass.  (Sorry, can't find the actual statistic.)

Averages can be deceiving.  The sun is "average" because there are a very small number of real whoppers out there and they skew the average upward.  But the vast majority of stars are smaller than our sun.

Offline iain

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • i
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 09:06:06 AM »
I would love bigger systems.

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 02:09:02 AM »
I would love bigger systems.

The thing with bigger systems is that they might sound nice but they will most definitely bring more than you can imagine. More resources and bigger systems = much faster advances which result in either boredom or chaos. Players need a push to advance and colonize new places, otherwise they will get bored.
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "

Offline Cocyte

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 10:04:29 AM »
I'm in favor of an update of the system generation algorithm, but a... different one.

I'ld like a "realistic" (or "boring") system generation option, taking into account Roche limit and Hill sphere, avoiding the weird "crossing orbit" systems.