Author Topic: Fleet populations: making space habitats more useful  (Read 1587 times)

Offline doomsought (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • d
Fleet populations: making space habitats more useful
« on: June 21, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
Space habitats don't seem to be that useful at their current cost.  While I can use them to colonize a moon, it is better to just plop down some auto-mines and send by my cargo ships every few years.

Realistically speaking, habitats should be an easier method of colonizing space than terraforming.

I'd like to see a series of research unlocked modules that let a fleet of habitats do anything a planet can, starting with having a population(game mechanic).  We have maybe half the module necessary already in the logistics research section, and a tug ship can already carry any shipyards you want in the fleet.

I wouldn't even mind if many of the modules had a fraction of the construction ability of planetary versions.  The hardest part would be linking the Population mechanic to the fleet, but a population command module could probably do it.

Offline Karma Chip

• Leading Rate
  • K
Re: Fleet populations: making space habitats more useful
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 06:18:40 PM »
Yes, I got the same impression.  When I first saw space habitats, I got a bit excited because I love 4x space games which allow you to essentially create "something from nothing", as in, deep space space station based colonies.  I'd also love to be able to make a nomadic race that never really settles down on any one planet.

(PS - first post.  Been playing for a couple weeks now.  Love this game!)

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 10:54:30 AM »
I think that one of the problems with building a "space station" is the need to haul it back to a planet for maintenance and upgrading.  It might be an interesting feature if you could sort of permanently fix it in space, thus allowing other things like infrastructure, PDCs, shipyards, or maintenance facilities to be dropped on it as if it were a celestial body.  Give it a constant requirement for fuel, maintenance, and/or money, based on the population, so that it doesn't become overpowered.

Offline iain

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • i
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:57:59 AM »
if this as to happen.  it whould be considered a civillian ship, sothat the material ussage wouldnt be to high.  and since it will be considered a civillian entity, no weapons will be on.  civilians also have a size limit to their sensors, 50 tons.

But since its civilian you get money from it, or not depending if the civilians build it or you do.

You will always have to have military ships defending it.

but it whould be awsome if it was possible. 

Offline Saibot

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:20:30 PM »
Don't think it should necessarily have to be civilian. A station could be civilian or military depending on its components I think, with upkeep costs and production based on the distinction. They could hold fuel, maintenance supplies and facilities, magazines, fighter bays, but no industrial facilities or mass drivers, needing to be stocked by freighters and tankers(to help this civilian freighters should be enabled to transport resources, but only from planets to starbases. If a planet is over reserve, and a starbase under, civilians generate orders to move the minerals).