Author Topic: Missile Series  (Read 6742 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Missile Series
« on: November 01, 2009, 12:41:54 AM »
On at least a couple of occasions, John has suggested that missiles should be organised into missile series so that intelligent substitions of ordnance can automatically be made when reloading. I have added this for the next version, which will be v4.5 as there are database changes.

The missile design window has a few additions, which can be seen on the screenshot below (click it to see full size). The first one is that using the dropdown list under the Empire name, you can recall the MSP allocation of previous designs. This may not produce the exact same stats as the original missile because technology may have moved on since you designed it but you will be able to see how you allocated the MSP for the original design.  When you select a missile from this list, which includes missiles you have designed but not yet researched, the MSP boxes will be set to their values at the point when you pressed the Create button for that design. The object of this new functionality is both to allow you to see what you did in previous designs and to make it much easier to create more advanced missiles based on the same principles as in the past, which you might want to do if creating missile series.

The second change is the addition of the Missile Series section in the centre right. When you select a missile series from the list, all the missiles in that series will be displayed.

The third change is the addition of several buttons along the bottom of the window, as well as the Close button moving from top right to bottom right. Clear Design simply sets everything to zero. Create Series prompts you for a series name and then creates a new missile series. Delete Series, as you may suspect, deletes a missile series. it does NOT delete missiles associated with that series. Edit Series will set the currently selected Previous Design (from the dropdown under the Empire Name) to the currently selected missile series.

When you create a new missile design by pressing the Create button, the new missile will be assigned whatever missile series is selected in the Missile Series section dropdown. This dropdown can be set to 'no series'. To ensure you don't accidently set a series for a missile, if a series is selected when you press Create, you are prompted to confirm that series. Pressing No at that point will create the missile without linking it to a missile series. In that case, you can still edit it later.

[attachment=0:35uvzs6f]MissileDesign2.JPG[/attachment:35uvzs6f]
In v4.5, when you order a fleet to reload, it will attempt to load its assigned ordnance just as before. However, if that ordnance is not available or only partially available, it will attempt to load missiles from the same series in descending order of cost. For example, assume you had created an anti-ship missile called the Rapier at the start of a game. Over time your technology advances and you create a more capable Rapier-B and eventully an even more advanced Rapier-C. Lets also assume you link them all together in the same series (imaginatively called the Rapier series :)). If a ship that is assigned a class loadout of 100 Rapier-Cs attempts to reload and there are insufficient Rapier-Cs available, the program will check for Rapier-Bs and Rapier-As at the same population and substitute those for the missing Rapier-Cs.

This will work for more compelx loadouts. Assume a ship with 100x Rapier-C, 300x Sentinel-C (an anti-missile missile) and 8x Raven-D (recon drone). If each of those missiles is in a missile series, then each of the different missiles will be checked separately. For the Sentinels, lets assume that 220 are available. The program will check for other missiles in the series to fill in the missing 80 Sentinel-Cs. That won't affect similar checks for the Rapiers and Ravens as they will take place independently.

Just in case anyone is wondering, you don't need to give missiles in the same series similar names. I was just doing that for ease of explanation. You might create the Devastator, the Annihilator and Obilterator and put them all in the same missile series. That would work just as well as giving them the same name with a different suffix. As always, naming schemes are down to personal preference.

Steve

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: Missile Series
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 01:08:17 AM »
Cool
:D

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 03:22:34 PM »
Looks good Steve; as I was a vocal supporter of John when he proposed this all I can say is thanks!  :D
Welchbloke

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:47:21 PM »
Oooh!!  Shiney new toys!! :-) ) - how hard would it be to hook the reload process on the fire control screen to missile series?  In other words, if you've got a launcher that's firing Rapier-Cs, and you run out of Rapier-C in your magazine, it will automatically shift down to Rapier-B (assuming they appear in the loadout)?

Thanks,
John

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 10:19:03 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Oooh!!  Shiney new toys!! :-) ) - how hard would it be to hook the reload process on the fire control screen to missile series?  In other words, if you've got a launcher that's firing Rapier-Cs, and you run out of Rapier-C in your magazine, it will automatically shift down to Rapier-B (assuming they appear in the loadout)?
I have added the above for v4.5. When you attempt to fire a missile and the selected missile for the launcher is not in the magazine, the program will instead select the most recently developed missile from the same missile series (assuming one is in the magazine) and fire that instead. I just tested it using a DD with magazines full of my new Falchion-Bs but still set up to fire the older Falchion-A, which is in the same series. It realised there were no Falchion-As in the magazines so it fired the newer missiles instead. I've set this up for automated anti-missile fire as well as anti-ship fire.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 12:30:28 AM »
Double-Cool!!

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 11:01:47 PM »
I just realized another tweak that would make this even better: the standard loadout of a class (defined on the Ordnance/Fighters tab of the F5 screen) should be able to define the loadout in terms of missile series, rather than missile models.

I've got a missile defence base design "Jason" whose loadout was 372 "Sparrow Mk 2".  I just researched "Sparrow Mk 3".  At present, I've got to go into the Jason loadout screen and switch the loadout from Mk 2 to Mk 3 (and do this for all other missile combatants that fire sparrows and do it for obsolete classes as well, which I just realized I forgot to do).  None of this would be necessary if I could have specified the loadout of Jasons as 372 Sparrow - when Mk 3 is researched, Aurora would just automagically upgrade the loadout.

While typing the first paragraph above, I realized that you might want to define fighter series too, one could have standard loadouts for carriers.  Hmmm that means you should probably have GB series too, since they can be carried by carriers.  Hmmm that means all class designs should probably have a series associated with them.  This would actually be nice, because it would make refits a bit easier - the default choice for what to refit from could be the earliest class in the series that's present in orbit.  It would probably also help you with NPR AI - it would be easy for the NPR to define rules for when to upgrade ships/PDC to the next class in the series, and if your classes were designed with fixed tonnages for each system then they'd just keep getting better as the NPR tech improved.

John

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 08:59:23 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
I just realized another tweak that would make this even better: the standard loadout of a class (defined on the Ordnance/Fighters tab of the F5 screen) should be able to define the loadout in terms of missile series, rather than missile models.

I've got a missile defence base design "Jason" whose loadout was 372 "Sparrow Mk 2".  I just researched "Sparrow Mk 3".  At present, I've got to go into the Jason loadout screen and switch the loadout from Mk 2 to Mk 3 (and do this for all other missile combatants that fire sparrows and do it for obsolete classes as well, which I just realized I forgot to do).  None of this would be necessary if I could have specified the loadout of Jasons as 372 Sparrow - when Mk 3 is researched, Aurora would just automagically upgrade the loadout.
It's a good idea, although I am concerned the implementation might be a little messy. Not everyone uses missile series and you may want to assign an older missile to certain classes if you only have a limited amount of the latest version, which means that specifying loadout by series would be an option only. That means two sets of loadout information and it also means I would have to change a lot of ordnance-related code to deal with both options. So it is possible but it would probably be a lot of work. What might be a possibility is a general "replace all" option where you specify that all Sparrow Mk 2s in class loadouts should be replaced by "Sparrow Mk 3". That would be much easier to setup.

While typing the first paragraph above, I realized that you might want to define fighter series too, one could have standard loadouts for carriers.  Hmmm that means you should probably have GB series too, since they can be carried by carriers.  Hmmm that means all class designs should probably have a series associated with them.  This would actually be nice, because it would make refits a bit easier - the default choice for what to refit from could be the earliest class in the series that's present in orbit.  It would probably also help you with NPR AI - it would be easy for the NPR to define rules for when to upgrade ships/PDC to the next class in the series, and if your classes were designed with fixed tonnages for each system then they'd just keep getting better as the NPR tech improved.
I definitely need to look at the whole area of fighters, squadrons, etc. as it is not very user-friendly at all. When I finally tackle it, that would probably be a good time to implement the above, although the same concerns apply as those related to missiles.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 09:52:42 AM »
I have added a Replace All button to the Missile Design window for v4.8. If you select a missile series and a specific missile from that series and press Replace All, then all missiles of that series in class loadouts are replaced by the selected specific missile.

Steve

The following users thanked this post: Happerry

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 10:22:21 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
I have added a Replace All button to the Missile Design window for v4.8. If you select a missile series and a specific missile from that series and press Replace All, then all missiles of that series in class loadouts are replaced by the selected specific missile.

Steve

Cool.  It would be nice if there were a way for this to happen automatically when a new missile in a series was researched, but that would probably entail adding a button to the research interface that would only be used for missiles (so that the behavior could be switched if undesired).  On the other hand, people don't have to use series, and if they are using series I expect that only rarely would they want to turn the behavior off.

++++++++++++++++++++

One other thing I realized after I posted - it would be nice to have a global way to tell your fleet (or possibly just a particular TG) "The next time you're at an ammo source and your loadout is 'non-standard', perform a 'load ordnance' command".  It would also be nice to either have a "load ordnance from population" button or command for PDC TG.

The reason:  After I changed the default loadouts for my classes, I had to change the actual magazine loads for my ships.  For the GB this wasn't difficult - I only had one TG, and it was in Earth orbit (GB training time being expensive in terms of fuel :-) ) so I simply gave it a "reload ordance" command at earth.  For my PDC (of which I had some on Earth and some on Mars) it was more difficult - PDC fleets don't allow any orders to be issued.  I had to go to each PDC individually had hit the replenish-from-population button.  It would be nice to have a way to do this similar to TG with ships.

+++++++++++++++++++++

A last idea that I just thought of while typing: Add an "equalize missiles" command for TG, similar to "equalize fuel".  I would be happy if this only examined ships of the same class (or class series) within a TG.  The idea would be to equalize the percentage of older versions within a series in the various ships magazines.  As a concrete example, I've got 4 Jason PDCs on Earth, each with 12 launchers, and each with magazine space for 13 salvos.  Right now they're all loaded with Sparrow Mk 2.  I'm building Sparrow Mk3 in batches of 48 (i.e. one salvo).  After building 4 salvo's worth of Mk3, I'd like to be able to reload my ordnance from the planet, and end up with 4 Mk3 salvos and 9 Mk2 salvos in each PDC's magazine.  At present, if I reload them one at a time I'll get one PDC with only M3 (13 salvos), one with 3 Mk3 and 10 Mk2, and the others with only Mk2.  Note that if you implement this idea, then it's probably best to allow PDC to schedule ordnance-managment orders (reload and equilize) in the F12 screen as suggested above.

Thanks,
John