Author Topic: I'm missing something here...  (Read 2680 times)

Offline RobearGWJ (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
I'm missing something here...
« on: January 17, 2010, 09:30:25 AM »
I have installed the 4.75 version, run the updater (two files replaced) and used the 4.8 and 4.82 updates.  No problems there as far as I can tell.

Now I see some strange things when I try to actually start a game.  I have followed the tutorial directions, but I turned on the option to have the game create ship types and systems.

However, I can't produce any ships.  The pulldown for ship type in the shipyard production menu is blank.  Likewise, when I don't have the system create ship types, the pulldown in the ship class creator is blank.  

I also can't assign civilian administrators.  I have 8 of them.  I can click on a level 6 admin, but I can't assign him to be the governor of Earth, which requires a level 3 admin.  There is no commit button and when I click the option to only show eligible posts, the governorship disappears.

Any ideas?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: I'm missing something here...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 03:19:04 PM »
Quote from: "RobearGWJ"
I have installed the 4.75 version, run the updater (two files replaced) and used the 4.8 and 4.82 updates.  No problems there as far as I can tell.

Now I see some strange things when I try to actually start a game.  I have followed the tutorial directions, but I turned on the option to have the game create ship types and systems.

However, I can't produce any ships.  The pulldown for ship type in the shipyard production menu is blank.  Likewise, when I don't have the system create ship types, the pulldown in the ship class creator is blank.  
Did you hit the "new" button in the lower left corner of the F5 screen?  You have to create a class record before you start editting it.  After that, most people simply hit "copy" on an existing design, then change and rename it.
I also can't assign civilian administrators.  I have 8 of them.  I can click on a level 6 admin, but I can't assign him to be the governor of Earth, which requires a level 3 admin.  There is no commit button and when I click the option to only show eligible posts, the governorship disappears.
Any ideas?

Look in the lower-right corner of the Leaders (F4) screen.  There should be a cluster of 4 buttons: "Save" "Assign", "Reset" (greyed out), and "Close".  "Assign" is the one you want - select your admin and click on governor of Earth (both should be highlighted), then hit "Assign".

John

PS - Please post new user questions in "The Academy" in the new-users section.

Offline RobearGWJ (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:44:25 AM »
Apparently the screen requires more than 1440x900 resolution, which is a problem for me.  What is the recommended screen resolution to display all screens on both axes?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 03:14:18 PM »
Apparently the screen requires more than 1440x900 resolution, which is a problem for me.  What is the recommended screen resolution to display all screens on both axes?
1280x1024

Steve

Offline RobearGWJ (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 06:23:39 AM »
In that case, there's an issue, because I'm at 1440x900 native on the desktop and all the large screens have their bottom sections cut off.  Any advice?

Offline RobearGWJ (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 06:34:17 AM »
My font size is normal.

Offline Frank

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • F
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 01:04:08 PM »
Use the program ResizeEnableRunner. With this Aurora work on my 1680 x 945 notebook.

Offline RobearGWJ (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 02:51:26 PM »
I need a scroll bar within the window, as it's already the height of the screen, but the bottom part does not show up - it's past the bottom of the window.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 05:06:28 PM »
In that case, there's an issue, because I'm at 1440x900 native on the desktop and all the large screens have their bottom sections cut off.  Any advice?
As I said, the required resolution is 1280x1024. That means that while your resolution is wide enough, it isn't tall enough

Steve

Offline RobearGWJ (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 07:27:35 AM »
Steve, thanks.  Somehow that just went over my head with a faint whooshing sound...

So I've reset the desktop to use panning at 1600x1050 (I think that's it.)  Anyway, I can see the bottoms of the screen now.  However, I still can't assign a CA as Governor of Earth.  I have reinstalled once.  I have 6 CA's, ranging from level 2 to level 8.  I click on a leader, then I click on the governorship, then I click on Assign.  At that point, the history of the leader pops into the summary box, and the governorship remains unassigned.  The game is paused through this operation.

I'm at a loss.

Offline Rathos

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 10:45:16 AM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Quote from: "Rathos"
Alright, I hate that my first post is going to probably be a stupid one, but I need a bit o' help...

I'm trying to assign a gov'ner to my planets you see. Now, I know who I want to put in charge, but there is a little problem of execution. I've tried clicking them then assign...yes. I've tried just about everything I can think of from drag and dropping to clicking a million times on assign in a futile attempt to get the man in place. I've even gotten so desperate that i've tried ALL of the people I got on my list. Not luck at all, can't get it to go.

I hate to be daft, but could some kind soul explain EXACTLY what the process is to assign them? It'd be nice if you include pictures cause apparently I'm to stupid to figure it out...though I swear I've tried every single combination possible...well obviously not since I haven't figured it out. An hours worth of trying then.

Cheers...

I'll take this from the start:
1.  Hit F4 to open the officers window;
2.  Select Civilian Administrators in the Leader Type selection area in the upper left hand corner of the display.  
3.  A list of civilian leaders will appear in the box below, ranked from highest to lowest.
4.  Next to the leaders will be a list of eligible commands (directly to the right of the leaders).  Unoocuppied commands will be grey, occuppied commands will be white.  
5.  Select the leader you want to assign to a command by clicking on them (left click);
6.  Select the command you want to assign the leader to by left clicking on it;
7.  Click the "assign" button in the lower left hand corner of the screen.
8.  If the officer doesn't have enough rank to occupy the command slot then Aurora will generate a popup box to tell you so, otherwise the leader will be assigned to the command you selected.  
9.  Both the leader and the command should now be displayed with a white background to indicate they are assigned.  

Try not to get too frustrated.  Some things in aurora are a little difficult to figure out, and almost everyone here, with the exception of Steve, has had to go through something like this at one time or another.  

Kurt

http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1944

:wink:

Note: My assign button is in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

Offline RobearGWJ (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 08:04:54 PM »
I appreciate the patience.  After doing this, the role is still unassigned.  If I click the "eligible only" button, the governorship disappears, even though I have leaders of AC2-8 and the position is AC3.  Possibly some kind of DB error?  I've already reinstalled once.

Offline engy

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • e
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 08:39:54 PM »
Click one line above the empty line you are currently clicking.

Then go 'Ohhhhhh'.

:)  I did it like 10x myself before I figured it out.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 08:54:20 PM »
I appreciate the patience.  After doing this, the role is still unassigned.  If I click the "eligible only" button, the governorship disappears, even though I have leaders of AC2-8 and the position is AC3.  Possibly some kind of DB error?  I've already reinstalled once.

I haven't weighed in because what you describe is the correct procedure.  So either there's a bug, or you're doing something wrong that all of us automatically do correctly without even realizing we're doing it.

I would do some experimenting.  First, copy your database (Stevefire.mdb) to another directory - that way you can make changes without worrying about trashing your game.  (When you're done, simply copy it back into the Aurora directory.)

Can you assign other officers using the procedure you use?  For example assigning a colonel to command a ground unit, or a naval officer to command a ship.

Is it just Earth?  Hit the "create colony" button on another world, e.g. Mars (select world in F9 screen, and hit button).  You should see the governorship of that world show up as a level-0 post.  Try assigning one of your civilian administrators to the world using the same procedure.  No matter whether or not it works, you'll either have an "aha" moment when you realize what you're doing wrong, or you won't :-)  If not, you should probably post the issue as a bug in the bugs thread.  Make sure to save a copy of the DB in case Steve wants it.

John

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 10:26:01 PM »
The only other thing that pops to mind is you may be assigning a sector govenor.  when you start a game the sector has the same name as the planet, just one grade higher administration is required.  If that is the case, then the planetary govenor slot would still be vacant.  On the Pop & Production Summary tab there are two lines for the Govenor, and the Sector Govenor and thier respective bonuses.  See if they are both filled or not.

Brian