Author Topic: Civilian Contracts  (Read 4773 times)

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: Civilian Contracts
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »
Poor Steve...:D

Am fear can't enjoy himself in a simple play-session.Everytime r caught at upgrade work:D..

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 07:50:19 PM »
When you set up a supply does the supply have to be constructed by player or would the civvies be handling everything?

I actually still haven't played, in the middle of getting an emulator working to play it since the game is not suppose to have a dire cpu requirement.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 08:06:23 PM »
Quote from: "mrwigggles"
When you set up a supply does the supply have to be constructed by player or would the civvies be handling everything?

I actually still haven't played, in the middle of getting an emulator working to play it since the game is not suppose to have a dire cpu requirement.

To my knowledge, the Civs will construct everything they ship. Of course, this may not be what you WANT there. ;)

Offline Hegemon2

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • H
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »
Tried the Contracts:

I set up Supply (Earth) and Demand (Mars) for 3 Terraforming Installations. My only civilian shipping line has 3 small freighters (5k cargo) which would each transport 0.04 TIs a trip. So it should take them 75 trips.

Guess what, they only did one trip with three ships and the contract disappeared.

Love the feature, but the implementation needs work.

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 01:58:22 PM »
Do the civvies only look for supply matching demands within four jumps?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 01:27:58 PM »
Quote from: "Hegemon2"
Tried the Contracts:

I set up Supply (Earth) and Demand (Mars) for 3 Terraforming Installations. My only civilian shipping line has 3 small freighters (5k cargo) which would each transport 0.04 TIs a trip. So it should take them 75 trips.

Guess what, they only did one trip with three ships and the contract disappeared.

Love the feature, but the implementation needs work.
Fixed for the next version.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 01:28:55 PM »
Do the civvies only look for supply matching demands within four jumps?
Yes, but you can set up a chain of contracts to move items more than four jumps

Steve

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 07:58:41 PM »
I think I am having an issue with civvie shipping.

In the event log, it says

FT Alaska Humphrises 002 has failed to Load Installation at Earth. Please reschedule the orders this fleet.

I have a supply order on Earth for 150 infrastructure and a demand order on mars for 150 infrastructure. Their both down to 138, so something has been happening. Is this due to the fact that the supply is higher then what the civvie fleet can carry in one go?

Their both using my 25k freighter.

---
EDIT: They've been sitting their for about a month now. 8/ I wish they would deliver the mass driver to venus and rhea.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »

FT Alaska Humphrises 002 has failed to Load Installation at Earth. Please reschedule the orders this fleet.

I have a supply order on Earth for 150 infrastructure and a demand order on mars for 150 infrastructure. Their both down to 138, so something has been happening. Is this due to the fact that the supply is higher then what the civvie fleet can carry in one go?

Ah, all the questions this brings up.... :-) ).
2)  Do the same as 1, except with 150 infrastructure.  This might or might not satisfy the "Load 150" (again, I suspect it won't).
3)  Instead of waiting for builds in 1 and 2, you can simply go to the SM mods screen (Open F2 in SM mode and hit the SM mods button at the bottom) and give Earth the appropriate infrastructure.
4)  Try selecting the civie freighter in question, and hitting the "cancel orders" button.  This will kill the Load 150 order, but will leave the freighter sitting there with 138 infrastructure that it has no orders for.  If you're lucky, it will notice that Mars needs infrastructure (not a contract -through the normal trade mechanism) and sell the infrastructure at Mars.  If you're unlucky, then the 138 infrastructure will just sit there in the hold, causing problems, with no way to get rid of it without Steve's help.

Don't forget to delete the infrastructure contracts so other ships don't get sucked into the same trap :-)

John

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

Ah, all the questions this brings up.... :-) ).
2)  Do the same as 1, except with 150 infrastructure.  This might or might not satisfy the "Load 150" (again, I suspect it won't).
3)  Instead of waiting for builds in 1 and 2, you can simply go to the SM mods screen (Open F2 in SM mode and hit the SM mods button at the bottom) and give Earth the appropriate infrastructure.
4)  Try selecting the civie freighter in question, and hitting the "cancel orders" button.  This will kill the Load 150 order, but will leave the freighter sitting there with 138 infrastructure that it has no orders for.  If you're lucky, it will notice that Mars needs infrastructure (not a contract -through the normal trade mechanism) and sell the infrastructure at Mars.  If you're unlucky, then the 138 infrastructure will just sit there in the hold, causing problems, with no way to get rid of it without Steve's help.

Don't forget to delete the infrastructure contracts so other ships don't get sucked into the same trap :-)

John

I asked earlier if I needed to construct the widgets myself or if the civvies build and ship it, and the answer I believe I got was, that the civvies take care of everything.

Yes, the built infrastructure on earth is at a zero, Mars is capable of supporting 11m colonist  with a population of 3 million and rising.

I made the supply and demand from the civvie screen.

So I have to construct the widgets for the civvie to move? Boo.

So whats this safety margin for infrastructure for planets?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 10:30:06 PM »
I asked earlier if I needed to construct the widgets myself or if the civvies build and ship it, and the answer I believe I got was, that the civvies take care of everything.
They do - that's why I said "DO NOTHING" above. 8) is the ability to advertise contracts to get the civies to move this player-owned stuff.

The tricky part is that infrastructure is special - it can either be a trade good or player-owned.  If you make it in a factory, then it's player-owned from the start and civie lines won't pick it up as a trade good.  The infrastructure in the "available for export" field, however, is a trade good that's created magically by the civie sector, and will be picked up as such.  Once it's dropped on a planet, then it becomes player-owned, and civies won't treat it as a trade good any more.  By putting out a contract to pick up 150 infrastructure at Earth, you were actually saying "pick up 150 player-owned infrastructure at Earth".  But since you hadn't built any, you didn't have it to pick up.

From what you've said, I'd just SM in 150 infrastructure on Earth - that will probably make the cargo ship happy and it'll go on its way.

So whats this safety margin for infrastructure for planets?
If Mars has a population of 2,000,000, and has a colonization cost of such that it requires 1000 infrastructure to support that 2,000,000 pop (this is almost certainly not the right number - I made it up), then the civilian economy (the wealth/trade) tab will still show a shortfall in infrastructure until there's enough to support slightly more (e.g. 10%) than the current population.  So assuming fixed population, Mars would still show up as a sink of infrastructure on the trade tab until e.g. the infrastructure was at 1100.  I just made up the word safety margin - it's not something you need to worry about in terms of game mechanics.

John

PS - Since the contract stuff is so new, there are likely to be bugs.  You've hit one of them: "The civie sector should be able to handle the situation where there aren't enough goods present to fill up a 'supply' contract".  I'd say you should post this on the bugs thread.