Fiction > Aurora

Poor Earth AAR

(1/11) > >>

CharonJr:
Hi,
the setting for this AAR is Earth in 1870 with the 8 major GDP nations as player nations and Germany the only power with TN tech researched. No ICBMs or shipyards. In addition I will edit resources on Earth to “fairly poor” and delete any minerals on Luna if there should be any. The AAR will be in a matter of fact style where I will try to explain at least some of my thought process for certain decisions. In addition I will try to replay this campaign once C# is out in order to get a better impression of the differences.

Setup
Top 8 (GDP) nations in 1870 (rounded numbers, hopefully not that far off from realistic numbers):
                                      Sector shares      
Country           Pop (m)   GDP (m)   Agri  Indu  Serv    Divisions Factories
UK (incl. India)   285      235        35%   30%   35%    19          765
China              370      190        80%   10%   10%     5          190
US                  40      100        30%   35%   35%     5          350
Russia              90       85        80%   10%   10%    30           85
Germany             40       70        40%   35%   25%    40          210
France              40       70        35%   35%   30%    30          195
Italy               30       40        50%   20%   30%    22          100
Japan               35       25        55%   15%   30%     2           55
Rest of World      360      290                           10          435

Each division represents 10k soldiers (low tech INF for everybody, only TN is allowed to build low tech ARM)

Initial POP (in order to get more commanders) = POP(m) + number of research labs * 10 + number of divisions

"Real" POP = POP(m) - I will use SM to lower the numbers before starting the first turn

Conventional factories = GDP * (Industry% + Service%) *5

1 Military Academy and 1 Training Facility per nation

Research labs based on tech tier (very simplified)
4 = UK & Germany (& Rest of the World which will be passive except for war participation)
3 = US, France, Italy
2 = Japan, Russia, China

The basic idea is to give NPRs a fairly long time to expand and build up while there is still stuff happening on Earth. Due to this I will try to follow the steps described below.

Only Germany will get the TN tech at game start, but the other nations will try to research it once they learn about it from their spies (once a espionage team of 5 members is established it will generate an “automatic success” after 1 year in existence – even if they should get killed earlier).

The UK will be the first target for Germany due to its fairly high research (with 4 labs and 5k for TN tech it should take less than 5 years to complete the research). Essentially the same time it will take Germany to research Mobile Infantry.

After this war it will be about 50 German divisions (most likely still largely low tech INF with some low tech ARM and a couple of Mobile INF minus whatever is still needed to control 350m+ pops from the UK by this time) vs. 100 divisions (all low tech INF) from the rest of the world when the second war starts. And the longer Germany waits to build up the more nations will get to TN and research either GAR or improved combat values. In addition each other "major" has a Training Facility and Germany either just 1 or maybe 2 if the one in the UK did not get destroyed or resources are diverted to building a new one (2:6 ratio seems most likely).

Without the UK's industry the rest of the world has about 1.4k conventional factories with Germany having about 110-120 converted ones and 760 from the UK (at occupied production).

Essentially Germany has a 6-7 year headstart and especially due to the difference in starting divisions and TF I am not sure if Germany will win. My fall-back option is that the rest of the world stays united after defeating Germany and heads for the stars. 

All of Earth has 27 labs at game start (minus whatever gets destroyed in the wars), so once Earth is unified research speed should actually be decent and pop numbers most likely around 1.5bn.

Father Tim:
I would suggest editing Human tolerances so that their lower grav limit is 0.20 or higher, to limit the effect of the Earth-Luna economic superhighway.

I assume you are playing all the empires here as player races, and that therefore you plan to do the same in C# Aurora -- or will you give Steve's new multi-faction AI a chance?

CharonJr:
Good idea and a good question. I think I will have to take a look at the AI first, because I am not sure if all would go into ("get TN fast and build up the military in the meantime" mode).

Garfunkel:
Will be interesting to see how this goes! Hopefully the game doesn't get ruined by NPR vs NPR war causing eternal 5sec increments.

Father Tim:

--- Quote from: CharonJr on July 17, 2019, 12:45:08 AM ---Good idea and a good question. I think I will have to take a look at the AI first, because I am not sure if all would go into ("get TN fast and build up the military in the meantime" mode).

--- End quote ---

The VB6 Aurora AI doesn't handle 'conventional to TN' AT ALL, so a pre-TN NPR will stay pre-TN forever.

Steve said he planned to change this for C# Aurora, but not for the v1.0 release (realistically, not until v2.0 at least).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version