Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 362516 times)

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2865 on: August 17, 2022, 11:54:03 AM »
I started a 2.1 game (TN start) and the only troop transport tech I have is "Troop Transport bay - Conventional".  What is the prerequisite tech for researching standard troop transport bays?

It should be under the Ground Combat research tab, as Troop Transport Bay - Standard. It'll research all of the different sized ones as well, and allow the research of the boarding bays and drop bays.

I missed it because I didn't scroll down to see the last few Ground Combat techs.  Thanks!

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2866 on: August 17, 2022, 12:00:00 PM »
Does anyone use their industry to make ship components in advance of constructing a ship to reduce build time ? Or is it better to utilize the industry for larger items and delay the time taken to build a ship . Which should be the way to go ?

DavidR

Using industry to build ship components is a nice option to have when you really need to build a ship as quickly as possible.

You don't want to do it too much, though.
Your long-term economic health requires industrial expansion.
If too much of your industrial capacity is allocated to ship components, your industrial expansion falls behind.

I like to use secondary colonies to produce ship components after they get over 10M pop or so and finally have more than enough industrial capacity to build the infrastructure and installations needed to house and employ their own pop growth.

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #2867 on: August 17, 2022, 05:09:45 PM »
I ask this also here, as suggested.
I am playing with 2.0.3.
I don't succeed in refuelling the ships at zero fuel.
I send the tankers to them, remove every Standing Orders and set to zero the speed of all fleets, and let 1 day of time step pass to have these settings in effect.
Then, I order to the fleet at zero fuel to refuel from stationary tankers. But 2 hours pass (whatever longer time step I choose), the order is said executed, but nothing happens.
Or, I order to the tanker fleet to join & refuel the target fleet; the fleets join, but the refuelling doesn't happen, even if several time steps are spent. The tanker is marked with "Refuel Own Fleet", but this doesn't happen.
The tanker alone or also the ships in the target fleet can have a refuelling system installed, but it is no use.
Increasing the refuel priority is also no use.
This situation is destroying my match, as I cannot recover several ships around.
What else can I try?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2868 on: August 17, 2022, 06:56:06 PM »
Double check the reserve amount for your tankers. It should be 10% by default but it might be higher, in which case they cannot give fuel to other ships as they are reserving it for themselves.

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #2869 on: August 17, 2022, 07:00:44 PM »
Double check the reserve amount for your tankers. It should be 10% by default but it might be higher, in which case they cannot give fuel to other ships as they are reserving it for themselves.

The tankers are 95% full or more.  :-(

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2870 on: August 17, 2022, 07:03:04 PM »
Yes but if their reserve level is 95% or 100%, they can't give any fuel out.

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #2871 on: August 17, 2022, 07:13:02 PM »
Yes but if their reserve level is 95% or 100%, they can't give any fuel out.

Hit the mark!!!  :-D
Reserve was at 100% their capacity!!
Reduced, and the refuelling has gone!
Thank you really!!!!

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #2872 on: August 18, 2022, 10:25:56 AM »
To send workers/colonists to an empty colony, have I to use cryogenic transports or luxury accommodation?
I don't find other components to load colonists nor cargo ships allow me to do this.
I would like to send some people from Earth to Luna, and then on other places in Sol system, so cryogenic transport modules seem to me a bit excessive for the short distances/time of the travel.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #2873 on: August 18, 2022, 01:15:17 PM »
To send workers/colonists to an empty colony, have I to use cryogenic transports or luxury accommodation?
I don't find other components to load colonists nor cargo ships allow me to do this.
I would like to send some people from Earth to Luna, and then on other places in Sol system, so cryogenic transport modules seem to me a bit excessive for the short distances/time of the travel.

Cryogenic transport is best to move colonists to new planet. If you are unable to load colonists to ship equipped with cryogenic transport, check if you have cargo shuttles on your colony ships.

Luxury accommodation is mostly for roleplay but it can also transport colonists, but capacity is very limited. You need milions of people to operate facilities on planet so it would not be economical to use something like luxury accommodation.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 01:18:34 PM by Black »

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #2874 on: August 18, 2022, 02:04:14 PM »
Cryogenic transport is best to move colonists to new planet.

OK! Thank you.
I am designing the first colonists transport, so still not problems with loading and unloading.
Which is the difference between "Cryogenic Transport" and "Cryogenic Transport - Conventional", apart that second one is twice the mass of the first one? This is very strange indeed, as the materials required are the same, and their capacity too.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #2875 on: August 18, 2022, 02:09:59 PM »

OK! Thank you.
I am designing the first colonists transport, so still not problems with loading and unloading.
Which is the difference between "Cryogenic Transport" and "Cryogenic Transport - Conventional", apart that second one is twice the mass of the first one? This is very strange indeed, as the materials required are the same, and their capacity too.

Conventional version is usefull for games where you start without TN tech. In normal games it is basically useless. You always want to use Cryogenic Transport.

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #2876 on: August 18, 2022, 04:32:36 PM »

Conventional version is usefull for games where you start without TN tech. In normal games it is basically useless. You always want to use Cryogenic Transport.

There's also a button on the window labelled Obso Comp, once you no longer need this (or any other component), you can use it to hide the item.

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2877 on: August 19, 2022, 03:44:53 AM »
Apologies if this has been asked before , but is there any way to increase the length of service of Officers ( especially Naval ) . I am tired of seeing notification that an officer has retired at the age of 33 etc. I know that I only have employment opportunities for a few of them but even the employed ones seen to retire in their 40's meaning I have to constantly re-visit and re-stock the Admin Commands on a regular basis.

DavidR

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #2878 on: August 19, 2022, 04:34:45 AM »
I have to constantly re-visit and re-stock the Admin Commands on a regular basis.

DavidR

Admin commands now have auto-assign - you can set it up for each command in the Fleet window.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
« Reply #2879 on: August 19, 2022, 05:26:54 AM »
I am tired of seeing notification that an officer has retired at the age of 33 etc. I know that I only have employment opportunities for a few of them but even the employed ones seen to retire in their 40's meaning I have to constantly re-visit and re-stock the Admin Commands on a regular basis.

DavidR

I noticed this as well but in my case they are assigned officers as I am using fighters and have enough positions. But they still  retire around 33 in good health.