Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 357635 times)

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2775 on: July 24, 2022, 03:04:06 AM »
Not sure whats going on. Having 2 groups of undamaged and fueled groups fighters/fighter-bombers that are at speed 1km/s even thou they ca get up to around 45000/29000 km/s, tried to set speed but nothing is happening, bug or not? Several other F/FB have worked as they should... Okay, now the FBs have started up to 29000 but Fighters is still at 1... Is there something wrong with the design?

Code: [Select]
FTR Spitfire - MkII  033  (Spitfire - MkII  class Fighter)      311 tons       11 Crew       398.1 BP       TCS 6    TH 34    EM 0
45037 km/s      Armour 1-4       Shields 0-0       HTK 3      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 1
Maint Life 3.47 Years     MSP 80    AFR 8%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 10    5YR 152    Max Repair 350 MSP
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 days    Morale Check Required   

Taira-Mitsuharu Heavy Fighter SCAM drive (1)    Power 280    Fuel Use 128.11%    Signature 33.60    Explosion 17%
Fuel Capacity 17 000 Litres    Range 7.68 billion km (47 hours at full power)

Schwarzkopf-Hertwig Gauss Cannon R600-17.00 (1x6)    Range 60 000km     TS: 45 037 km/s     Accuracy Modifier 17.00%     RM 60 000 km    ROF 5       
Jiang Weapon Systems Fighter FC (1)     Max Range: 60 000 km   TS: 16 000 km/s     83 67 50 33 17 0 0 0 0 0

Tang Ordnance Swordfish Search Sensor (1)     GPS 280     Range 16.4m km    Resolution 100

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction
This design is classed as a e for auto-assignment purposes

« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 03:12:24 AM by ExChairman »
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2776 on: July 24, 2022, 10:04:03 AM »
I've noticed this behavior sometimes with fighters. It seems to happen if you move a fighter subfleet from the carrier fleet into another fleet instead of detaching the fighters from the carrier fleet. The workaround is to only detach the fighters from the carrier fleet and then have the separated fighters join the other fleet via 5-second order.

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2777 on: July 25, 2022, 11:23:03 AM »
If I have a railgun with only 10kkm range, but I use it with a 72kkm BFC, would it have good accuracy at 10kkm? In other words, could I use baseline, zero research, un-upgraded railguns on PD fighters using the shortest possible range? I know they wouldn't be much use outside of attacking unarmed vessels in combat (having to get all the way to point-blank range to even fire), but would it work just for the PD role to cover other, longer range fighters/bombers?

And while I'm here, ECM only reduces the range of the BFC and wouldn't stop my 10kkm railgun from firing, correct?

(Is this a good idea?)

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2778 on: July 25, 2022, 12:26:19 PM »
If I have a railgun with only 10kkm range, but I use it with a 72kkm BFC, would it have good accuracy at 10kkm? In other words, could I use baseline, zero research, un-upgraded railguns on PD fighters using the shortest possible range? I know they wouldn't be much use outside of attacking unarmed vessels in combat (having to get all the way to point-blank range to even fire), but would it work just for the PD role to cover other, longer range fighters/bombers?

Yes.

And while I'm here, ECM only reduces the range of the BFC and wouldn't stop my 10kkm railgun from firing, correct?

Correct.

(Is this a good idea?)

Maybe. Try it and see!

I will suggest that perhaps a better approach to bombers is for them to never be fired at in the first place. You can design missiles and MFCs such that your bombers remain outside of the probable missile range of an enemy fleet, although of course you remain open to any surprises the enemy may have in store for you. The reason to do this is to get more missiles in a volley by not wasting BP/hangar space on non-bomber craft.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2779 on: July 26, 2022, 12:54:57 PM »
I will suggest that perhaps a better approach to bombers is for them to never be fired at in the first place. You can design missiles and MFCs such that your bombers remain outside of the probable missile range of an enemy fleet, although of course you remain open to any surprises the enemy may have in store for you. The reason to do this is to get more missiles in a volley by not wasting BP/hangar space on non-bomber craft.
For technicality I am going to add to add to this that since we are speaking of fighter craft, there is another way to not be fired at, which is simply to be too small and fly under their radar. There are numerous ways to divine how close you can actually get towards a target (I used support scout planes often), but generally you can get a fair deal closer than their actual maximum missile range due to their active sensor resolution being way too wide.
If you ever make a mistake in approaching and notice a launch, it also usually isn't an issue. You might be very deep inside their missile range, but since your bombers are likely much faster than their ships, you can simply turn around and leave their maximum detection range again, which will also cause their missiles to loose their lead.

Thus you can save on fire control size and make the missiles a fair deal smaller for your bombers, which is more fitting for their theme in many cases I think.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2780 on: July 26, 2022, 01:08:37 PM »
For technicality I am going to add to add to this that since we are speaking of fighter craft, there is another way to not be fired at, which is simply to be too small and fly under their radar. There are numerous ways to divine how close you can actually get towards a target (I used support scout planes often), but generally you can get a fair deal closer than their actual maximum missile range due to their active sensor resolution being way too wide.

For those curious, the way to do this is to estimate the enemy sensor tech levels (usually pretty easy to do with some experience and passive EM readings) and calculate their detection range for your fighter. So if you use 250-ton scouts for instance, and the enemy has Active Sensor Strength 21 and EM Sensitivity 11 techs, the detection range of a size-6 active sensor is:
Code: [Select]
R = sqrt(Strength * Size * Sensitivity * Resolution^(2/3) / PI) [m km]
R = sqrt(21 * 6 * 11 * 5^(2/3) / PI) = 36m km
Of course, you have to guess at the size (or use the maximum possible value of 50, but this is usually very excessive) but with some experience you can make a good guess. In this case, as long as your missiles and MFC have range over 36m km you can fire with impunity, although you will still need some way to get an active sensor lock on the targets from a scout or supporting ship.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #2781 on: August 01, 2022, 10:26:59 AM »
Is there a way to display survey locations after they were surveyed?

Yes.
On the Display tab on the left side of the tactical map is a checkbox for "Hide Surveyed Locations."
It is ticked by default.
Untick it, and you will see all the survey locations.

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #2782 on: August 02, 2022, 07:05:56 AM »
Compressed fuel tanks: Got 200 points of research towards these, but if I remember right you cant research them? If not why points, would have prefer ed the physical things, even in a limited number...
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #2783 on: August 02, 2022, 11:50:44 AM »
Quick question - when you start a new game and automatically fill in the starting RP points, does it always follow the same paths?

I’ve only done two today, but both times they went railgun/missiles with a complete lack of civilian tech, extra command tech, etc.

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2784 on: August 02, 2022, 05:56:25 PM »
Quick question - when you start a new game and automatically fill in the starting RP points, does it always follow the same paths?

I’ve only done two today, but both times they went railgun/missiles with a complete lack of civilian tech, extra command tech, etc.

No, it is selected from a subset of the techs the NPRs get and follows their tech upgrade rules. The one time I tried it I got lasers and missiles.

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2785 on: August 04, 2022, 10:34:33 PM »
When you play with "Inexperienced Fleet Penalty" turned on, it takes longer for your fleets to react to orders.  Does that include retargeting? Or just orders. If it does include retargeting, does this penalty also impact NPC ships? I've never noticed the NPC having any sort of delay in firing on new targets, which would imply it is not being applied to them, and it seems like it ought to be.

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2786 on: August 04, 2022, 11:14:30 PM »
When you play with "Inexperienced Fleet Penalty" turned on, it takes longer for your fleets to react to orders.  Does that include retargeting? Or just orders. If it does include retargeting, does this penalty also impact NPC ships? I've never noticed the NPC having any sort of delay in firing on new targets, which would imply it is not being applied to them, and it seems like it ought to be.

It does include retargeting, in fact targeting and retargeting is about the only thing affected as any other order is executed instantly (a rather less flavorful change from VB6, if admittedly less frustrating).

I believe NPRs do not suffer from this, which is only fair as they would have no idea how to deal with it - not only in the moment but also the necessity to do fleet training and how to manage this. Maybe someday, but for now I think they need the help.  :)

The following users thanked this post: nakorkren

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2787 on: August 05, 2022, 09:50:42 AM »
What's the difference between "Instant" vs "Instant RST" when using SM mode to research tech?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2788 on: August 05, 2022, 12:42:35 PM »
What's the difference between "Instant" vs "Instant RST" when using SM mode to research tech?

Instant is for stuff like 12 cm focal length. Instant RST is for stuff like the Koensayr Twin Ion Drive.

RST = Racial S Tech. Not sure what the S stands for. But it is the tech you design and actually goes on the ships. Think of it as developing the engineering for the theoretical tech the egg heads produce in the labs.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2789 on: August 05, 2022, 12:48:16 PM »
RST = Racial S Tech. Not sure what the S stands for.

I think it might be Race-Specific Tech - although I'm not certain :)