Author Topic: Earth Alliance Comments Thread  (Read 17269 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Earth Alliance Comments Thread
« on: December 14, 2020, 11:21:44 AM »
Please use this thread for any comments on the campaign.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
Re: Earth Alliance Comments Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »
I dont know much about the Babylon 5 universe but what is the primary doctrine of the Centauri?

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 12:59:04 PM »
I dont know much about the Babylon 5 universe but what is the primary doctrine of the Centauri?

I can't speak to Steve's campaign, but B5 is still one of my favorite all-time shows, even if the graphics are a bit dated.  The Earth civil war was just such a great sequence! 

In the show the Centauri Republic began as a fading empire, which had fallen from its days of greatness and retreated from its former conquests.  It was only interested in keeping what it had and trying to ride on the coattails of up-and-coming races like the Earth Alliance.  Even so they had a powerful navy, just not the will to use it.  If I remember correctly, Earth Force, in the show, would have had a hard time fighting the Centauri Republic in a stand-up fight, as the Centauri had relatively advanced tech and the Earthers were relatively new.  The difference was, the Earther's, being young and hungry, were willing to fight while the Centauri Republic was old and tired. 

The Centauri's evolved during the run of the show, though, as did all of the races.   

The following users thanked this post: Warer

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 01:06:05 PM »
The AI races won't follow the doctrine of their namesakes from the show, although there will be some that work out well. The Invaders will match the Shadows really well for example.

If you haven't watched Babylon 5, I highly recommend finding the DVDs or paying for it on Prime. Its a little dated now, but one of the best ever sci-fi shows.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 01:17:36 PM »

I can't speak to Steve's campaign, but B5 is still one of my favorite all-time shows, even if the graphics are a bit dated.  The Earth civil war was just such a great sequence! 

In the show the Centauri Republic began as a fading empire, which had fallen from its days of greatness and retreated from its former conquests.  It was only interested in keeping what it had and trying to ride on the coattails of up-and-coming races like the Earth Alliance.  Even so they had a powerful navy, just not the will to use it.  If I remember correctly, Earth Force, in the show, would have had a hard time fighting the Centauri Republic in a stand-up fight, as the Centauri had relatively advanced tech and the Earthers were relatively new.  The difference was, the Earther's, being young and hungry, were willing to fight while the Centauri Republic was old and tired. 

The Centauri's evolved during the run of the show, though, as did all of the races.

Huh. Ok then. For some reason i always get Star Gate and Babylon 5 confused.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 01:21:02 PM by Garfunkel »

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 01:18:05 PM »
The AI races won't follow the doctrine of their namesakes from the show, although there will be some that work out well. The Invaders will match the Shadows really well for example.

If you haven't watched Babylon 5, I highly recommend finding the DVDs or paying for it on Prime. Its a little dated now, but one of the best ever sci-fi shows.

Coolio.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 01:21:52 PM »
Straight to action! I like that.

RougeNPS, I fixed your quotes.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 01:30:35 PM »
Thanks. I have no idea how to do it properly.

Offline Drakale

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 02:15:28 PM »
Interesting start!

Having a slower but more heavily armed short range fleet is going to be a challenge. At least if the retaliation strike is not strong enough it will be relatively easy to bottle up their force in their system...

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 02:44:41 PM »
I finally get to watch a Steve AAR from the beginning, hooray!

Are there any specific mechanics being tested by this AAR, either new 1.13 additions or older additions that were not really showcased in the Imperium of Man campaign?

E:
Omega class Destroyer      78,125 tons

:o  When you said "go large" you were not kidding holy rigatoni
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 02:54:08 PM by nuclearslurpee »

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 02:51:21 PM »
The starfuries are using 3 shot railguns I noticed. And probably single weapon fire controls?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 04:56:50 PM »
The starfuries are using 3 shot railguns I noticed. And probably single weapon fire controls?

Yes, both correct.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2020, 05:39:41 PM »

Huh. Ok then. For some reason i always get Star Gate and Babylon 5 confused.

My two favorites!  I'm doing a Stargate re-watch right now, as I hurt my back and I've been laid out on the couch for the last couple of days. 

Kurt

Offline Tanj

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 06:31:15 PM »
That was a damn interesting start! Really excited for this one, although sad not to see any Nova-class Dreadnoughts in the EA fleet with their ridiculous amount of plasma cannons. Funnily enough I'm currently building an Omega-class Destroyer model (from Warp Models) so this is great accompaniment  ;D

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 07:16:04 AM »
As there is no mention of research and survey rate, I gather this is 100% speed?

Great opening! What you classify as Destroyers would be a super-dreadnought for me, but hey ... Different universe  ;D