Author Topic: Bug Reports (Version 138 and up)  (Read 44506 times)

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
Re: Bug Reports (Version 138 and up)
« Reply #165 on: October 14, 2021, 09:43:56 AM »
V178: When a planet has no population and you gain research facilities by exploring a ruin, the warning message that there are unused research facilities keeps being given even if you have disabled research facilities in the civilian tab.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2021, 03:44:51 PM »
V178: Disassembling an alien tech gains you research points - but only on the planet you disassemble them on. I think that is a leftover from VB6 which handled that in the same way. Steve changed that for C# Aurora - I think it makes more sense if those values are globally available as in C#... .

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2021, 06:22:29 AM »
V178: When a fleet transits into another system AND is set to a slower than maximum fleet, the speed is reset to maximum.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2021, 03:48:14 PM »
V178: When you already have a move command in a fleet to jump between two LPs and you next want to move to a waypoint the automation adds another jump command between the LPs if the fleet is still on the far side of the LPs.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2021, 08:39:37 AM »
V178: In the "Individual Unit Display" there are some 000 missing in the fuel display of the population (see red lines)

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #170 on: October 16, 2021, 05:36:43 PM »
Based on what I can see using the "Unload Ordnance to Colony" Action on a Carrier fleet with both Carriers and Fighters loaded with missiles their ordnance seems to simply vanish into thin air.

This was tested on a colony both with and without Missiles in the stockpile and in both cases they never arrive at the colony. Missiles were in a missile series.

In one test using a combination of load/unload actions also managed to vaporize a stockpile of thousands of missiles from the colony itself ( despite there not even being room for that many missiles on the fleet ).

I normally use these actions to upgrade missiles to a new model for the whole TG, so them not working properly is a small inconvenience for Carrier Ops ::)

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2021, 08:54:07 AM »
V178: When plotting a course with tankers into another system, if that other system has Lagrance points the calculation routine does not add the LPs automatically. If you do the same when the ship is already in system, it works.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #172 on: October 19, 2021, 04:26:57 PM »
It looks like Point Defense won't fire unless the sensors were able to detect the missiles in a previous time increment before they intercept their target.

Not sure if this was the case in VB6 Aurora, perhaps it was, but it's still quite annoying when it happens due to advancing time and getting your ships blown up despite having overwhelming PD firepower.

When I reversed course with the fleet and stepped 5 second increments they were able to spot the incoming missiles and kill them when their speed / distance combination were able to detect them in the previous 5 second increment.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 04:29:08 PM by alex_brunius »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #173 on: October 19, 2021, 08:09:07 PM »
It looks like Point Defense won't fire unless the sensors were able to detect the missiles in a previous time increment before they intercept their target.

Not sure if this was the case in VB6 Aurora, perhaps it was, but it's still quite annoying when it happens due to advancing time and getting your ships blown up despite having overwhelming PD firepower.

When I reversed course with the fleet and stepped 5 second increments they were able to spot the incoming missiles and kill them when their speed / distance combination were able to detect them in the previous 5 second increment.

I think this was in VB6 and was one of the bugs/features that C# fixed. I would say that this should probably be fixed in quasar as well.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2021, 08:19:01 PM »

I think this was in VB6 and was one of the bugs/features that C# fixed. I would say that this should probably be fixed in quasar as well.

Isn't this the same bug/behavior that allowed people to make "torpedoes", i.e., missiles meant to close a short range in <5 seconds so they wouldn't trigger PD fire? If so, maybe it should be considered a "feature" since I think for some the torpedoes were part of the endearing VB6 flavor.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #175 on: October 20, 2021, 08:25:03 AM »
I'm not certain that is the same issue as in the case with torpedoes the missiles are not possible to detect at all the previous increment ( as they weren't even launched which is 100% predictable ), and in my case detection depends on how close they randomly happen to end up in their movement the increment before impact ( within or outside of sensors detection range ) which feels like a pretty strange and unpredictable behavior.

Unrelated to above I ran into some more bugs with Carrier ops:
- Seems like automatic Hangar reloads did reload the launchers, but did not transfer the actual ordnance from the Carrier Mothership to the Fighter. ( Edit: This one I might be remembering wrong though, was a few years since I played VB6 Aurora with Carriers and reloading with the button in TG UI does seem to work to transfer the missiles ).
- When launching a Fighter Squadron from F7 it's not converted into a separate fleet.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 11:19:07 AM by alex_brunius »

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2021, 08:12:54 AM »
V178: System Generation and Display - When you select "Minerals" so only bodies with minerals are shown, it doesn't matter what option you select for moons - they are never shown - even if they have minerals on them.

Fixed in v179 which is available now

Send messages by a cycled fleet seem to reset the current speed back to maximum.

Couldn't reproduce, but I think this may have actually happened when the fleet switched systems, see below

V178: When a fleet transits into another system AND is set to a slower than maximum fleet, the speed is reset to maximum.

Fixed in v179   (did not verify the fix is working correctly)

V178: When a planet has no population and you gain research facilities by exploring a ruin, the warning message that there are unused research facilities keeps being given even if you have disabled research facilities in the civilian tab.

Fixed in v179  (did not verify the fix is working correctly)

V178: Disassembling an alien tech gains you research points - but only on the planet you disassemble them on. I think that is a leftover from VB6 which handled that in the same way. Steve changed that for C# Aurora - I think it makes more sense if those values are globally available as in C#... .

I don't currently have any plans to change this functionality.  Components can be transported to the population you desire prior to disassembling them.

V178: When you already have a move command in a fleet to jump between two LPs and you next want to move to a waypoint the automation adds another jump command between the LPs if the fleet is still on the far side of the LPs.

Fixed in v179

V178: In the "Individual Unit Display" there are some 000 missing in the fuel display of the population

Fixed in v179

V178: When plotting a course with tankers into another system, if that other system has Lagrange points the calculation routine does not add the LPs automatically. If you do the same when the ship is already in system, it works.

This is intentional.  There is currently no logic in place to calculate where the Lagrange Points and the destination will be in the future when the fleet finally reaches that system and whether an LP jump is still beneficial at that point in time.

Based on what I can see using the "Unload Ordnance to Colony" Action on a Carrier fleet with both Carriers and Fighters loaded with missiles their ordnance seems to simply vanish into thin air.

This was tested on a colony both with and without Missiles in the stockpile and in both cases they never arrive at the colony. Missiles were in a missile series.

In one test using a combination of load/unload actions also managed to vaporize a stockpile of thousands of missiles from the colony itself ( despite there not even being room for that many missiles on the fleet ).

I normally use these actions to upgrade missiles to a new model for the whole TG, so them not working properly is a small inconvenience for Carrier Ops ::)

This sounds like a critical bug that needs to be fixed ASAP.  Unfortunately, 98% of the time it takes to fix these types of bugs is spent setting up a scenario that reproduces the bug.  The scenario is necessary to trace the code and find where the bug is occurring, and also to verify that the fix works and nothing new was broken afterwards.  My time is limited these days so I don't have time to set this up right now... would you be willing to post your save file where you did your own testing or create a new save file I can work on?  It'd be super appreciated.

Not sure if this was the case in VB6 Aurora, perhaps it was...

The database structure and the rules for sequence of play make it hard to do it any other way, unfortunately.

but it's still quite annoying when it happens due to advancing time and getting your ships blown up despite having overwhelming PD firepower.

I'm not certain that is the same issue as in the case with torpedoes the missiles are not possible to detect at all the previous increment ( as they weren't even launched which is 100% predictable ), and in my case detection depends on how close they randomly happen to end up in their movement the increment before impact ( within or outside of sensors detection range ) which feels like a pretty strange and unpredictable behavior.

This is something I'd be able to fix, if I had a copy of the save file you had where this was occurring.  I don't want the player to have to worry about making sure their increments and sub-pulse lengths are short enough to avoid this problem, the game is supposed to automatically shorten them when such a collision is imminent.

- Seems like automatic Hangar reloads did reload the launchers, but did not transfer the actual ordnance from the Carrier Mothership to the Fighter. ( Edit: This one I might be remembering wrong though, was a few years since I played VB6 Aurora with Carriers and reloading with the button in TG UI does seem to work to transfer the missiles ).
- When launching a Fighter Squadron from F7 it's not converted into a separate fleet.

Again, a save file so I can quickly reproduce these issues would be appreciated.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2021, 09:48:34 AM »
For sensors and missiles I guess the easiest solution to enjoy the game is to do as in VB6 and just design sufficiently large Res 1 sensors so no missile can cross them within a 5 second increment.

This sounds like a critical bug that needs to be fixed ASAP.  Unfortunately, 98% of the time it takes to fix these types of bugs is spent setting up a scenario that reproduces the bug.  The scenario is necessary to trace the code and find where the bug is occurring, and also to verify that the fix works and nothing new was broken afterwards.  My time is limited these days so I don't have time to set this up right now... would you be willing to post your save file where you did your own testing or create a new save file I can work on?  It'd be super appreciated.

Apparently I'm not tech savvy enough to set up a save file...
Even if I copy the quasar4x.sqlite DB file to somewhere else inside a .rar file after advancing time ingame I can't manage to rollback gamestate to when I tested to replace the backup DB copy to verify it was working.

I did do some more testing though and I think I found a simple reproduceable part of the bug at least:

- "Unload Ordnance" Command seems to never transfer the missiles back to colony missile stockpile, regardless of if the loaded missiles were of the type assigned to the classes or not. It does work to empty the magazines however meaning the missiles are lost into the void.
- "Load Ordnance" Command strangely enough does transfer the missiles of wrong type that are loaded back to colony missile stockpile and loads the new missiles ( I expected it to not unload any missiles as there is a separate command for that, but I guess only needing one command to change missiles does make things easier, especially if it is working which appears to be the case  ;D ). In VB6 I recall Load not swapping missiles but keeping the old one still loaded so you had to use both commands.

I wasn't able to reproduce the wiping out of entire colony missile stockpile though. All I remember is using both the Unload and Load Ordnance commands at the same time. Actually now that I think back on it... it might just have been me trying the unload -> load combination multiple times as I couldn't get unload to work, and each time it wiped out some of the missiles until all stockpile was gone...

Again, a save file so I can quickly reproduce these issues would be appreciated.

Launching fighters not splitting to separate fleets from F7 should be pretty quick and easy to reproduce. That one I'm 99% certain was working in VB6 and it's also listed as an intended behavior in the tooltip for the Launch Button, but I've never gotten it to work in Quasar4x.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 09:51:53 AM by alex_brunius »

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2021, 10:10:48 PM »
The conditional orders aren't really working very well. It seems the game is completely unable to auto-route my survey ships back to my home colony for overhauling. When they reach their condition (50% fuel) they get an order to overhaul, but it completely ignores the actual jump points, and tried to go directly to a colony, this causes an error message, so I go and give it an order to properly transit the jump points, but since the fleet is already at 50% fuel, it keeps adding new overhaul orders to the top of the list every sub-increment, freezing the game to 2 or so hour increments unless I remove their conditional orders and manually send them back, this entirely defeats the purpose of said orders.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2021, 03:24:54 PM »
I encountered some issues getting shields to work.

Equipped a few different ships with "Epsilon Shields" - "Regeneration Rate 3" and neither the button for Shields On in F12(TG window) nor the button to Raise Shields in F8(Battle Control window) resulted in any shield going active or working against incoming damage.

Edit: This might have already been partially fixed. Found this in change log from September 29:th "- Fixed: Ships window, Combat Settings tab: the Activate Sensors/Shields buttons weren't working"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 03:28:13 PM by alex_brunius »