Author Topic: 2.0.2 - Maintenance doubt  (Read 1330 times)

Offline paolot (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • p
2.0.2 - Maintenance doubt
« on: August 13, 2022, 01:41:34 PM »
I need an explanation about maintenance, please.
I have 200 facilities (no orbital ones), and the Maintenance Facilities Capacity is 2'000 (2 thousand) tons.
Each 5 days time-step, the Maintenance Supplies Available increase of hundreds of units (tons? MSP?), but events report several maintenance problems of the ships in orbit (there are 12'000 tons of Shipping Tonnage Maintained).
But, AuroraWiki says that one facility has a base production of 1'000 tons of maintenance capacity, i. e.  20 MSP. 
So, I don't understand why my Maintenance Facilities Capacity is only 2'000 tons, and not 200'000.
Thank you of your support!

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: 2.0.2 - Maintenance doubt
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 01:48:09 PM »
Check if you have your Windows set to correct decimal separator.

Offline paolot (OP)

• p
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 02:17:20 PM »
Check if you have your Windows set to correct decimal separator.

I observe no issues with the decimal separator (at least, until now; but, this is the second game with 2. 0. 2, for a total of 60+ years of game).
So, I don't think it depends on that.

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 02:34:33 PM »
I can pretty much guarantee that your windows decimal and thousands separator are set incorrectly for Aurora. The thousands separator must be a , and the decimal a . or you’ll see very odd behavior.

You can check this with some of the utilities or mods available on the forum - there are two to my knowledge that set it for Aurora.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 03:02:10 PM »
I need an explanation about maintenance, please.
I have 200 facilities (no orbital ones), and the Maintenance Facilities Capacity is 2'000 (2 thousand) tons.
Each 5 days time-step, the Maintenance Supplies Available increase of hundreds of units (tons? MSP?), but events report several maintenance problems of the ships in orbit (there are 12'000 tons of Shipping Tonnage Maintained).
But, AuroraWiki says that one facility has a base production of 1'000 tons of maintenance capacity, i. e.  20 MSP. 
So, I don't understand why my Maintenance Facilities Capacity is only 2'000 tons, and not 200'000.
Thank you of your support!

Can you post a screenshot of the economics summary? It may be related to negative wealth, insufficient workers, etc.

Offline paolot (OP)

• p
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 05:18:44 PM »
Can you post a screenshot of the economics summary? It may be related to negative wealth, insufficient workers, etc.

Here they are two screenshots, one using dot and one using comma as decimal separator (and viceversa for the thousands separator).
Same numbers.  Different representation.
I closed the game, changed the formats in Windows and then reopened the game.
Until now, I played using comma as separator.
But, now I see there is negative wealth.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:20:52 PM by paolot »

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 05:47:09 PM »
Yeah, it says the economic production modifier is 1% because of negative wealth, which I think means that everything produced by the planet is reduced by 99%.
Either way though, even if it's not related to the actual problem, you shouldn't use comma as decimal separator in Aurora, cause that will mess the game's calculations up.

Offline paolot (OP)

• p
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 05:58:34 PM »
That "1%" is here from the beginning of the game, so I didn't pay much attention to it!

Now, I have done some turns using dot as decimal separator, and I can't see any difference respect to the previous turns... I can imagine that software development environments adapt the numbers to correctly work in every installation that a program can find.

Thank you all for your help!!! :-)

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 06:08:52 PM »
So have you been using comma as your decimal separator at the start of the game? Then it could be the source of the problem after all. The problem is that once you save your game while comma is your decimal separator, swapping the separator to dot won't help, because the damage to the save has already been done. You might need to start a new game.
Now that I look at it again, it says earth's max population is 1.2 trillion, but in the normal game it's only 12 billion. Did you change that manually or did that come from the decimal separator?

If you don't know, there's a utility that lets you change your separator just for Aurora, so that you don't have to change it for your whole PC:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12565.0

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 01:20:18 AM »
If you ever had the comma problem, you should delete your database completely and redownload it and then start a new game. The old DB will be messed up and it is beyond salvage. Best to avoid any future issues!

Offline paolot (OP)

• p
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 01:35:16 PM »
Thank you all!
I have taken advantage of the 2.0.3 to start a new game with a clean DB.