Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 255470 times)

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #735 on: April 07, 2020, 10:11:58 AM »
I think I will go with Steve's 'Conventional(+)' start suggestion where I go conventional but than add just Trans Newtonian Technology through SpaceMaster.

Isn't that just a standard TN start with no RP allocated?

I believe you would start with conventional industry though... So gotta convert it.

The following users thanked this post: amram

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #736 on: April 07, 2020, 10:14:12 AM »
Guys, use this thread: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10523.0 for the HYPE spam, please.

The following users thanked this post: punchkid, ehwhoami, Kiri, unkfester, skoormit

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #737 on: April 07, 2020, 10:15:46 AM »
I think I will go with Steve's 'Conventional(+)' start suggestion where I go conventional but than add just Trans Newtonian Technology through SpaceMaster.

Isn't that just a standard TN start with no RP allocated?
No, if you start as conventional and give yourself only the TN tech, you'll still have conventional industry that you'll need to convert, and you'll have to research basic techs like 10cm laser focal size or nuclear thermal engine which you would get for free on a 0 RP TN start. Also though you can just not use it or ignore the limit, a TN start gives you build points to spend in the "Create Racial Order of Battle" window.

The following users thanked this post: amram

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #738 on: April 07, 2020, 01:10:44 PM »
That makes sense, forgot about the conventional industry.  It has been a while since I did a conventional start.

Also, didn't realise there were a couple free handouts for tech on a TN start.

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #739 on: April 08, 2020, 05:07:46 AM »
Been a bit quiet since the obfuscation update 2 days ago, hope all is going OK Steve.
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #740 on: April 08, 2020, 05:43:01 AM »
Been a bit quiet since the obfuscation update 2 days ago, hope all is going OK Steve.

Yes, just busy with my day job at the moment. Lawyers and regulators and tax, oh my!

I'm doing a little during the day (the advantage of working from home) and some work in the evenings before wine is consumed at dinner :). However, the weekends are the main time for work, especially now when I don't have to go out :)

Most of the hard work is done now. Install is working. Obfuscation is working at first glance and Diplomacy is very close to done. I am going to take the opportunity to fight the mass battle that is coming, as that is ideal for testing. Then I will start a new game in an installed, obfuscated version and play the first year or two. If all that goes well, I can release.

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #741 on: April 08, 2020, 06:26:51 AM »

Yes, just busy with my day job at the moment. Lawyers and regulators and tax, oh my!

I'm doing a little during the day (the advantage of working from home) and some work in the evenings before wine is consumed at dinner :). However, the weekends are the main time for work, especially now when I don't have to go out :)

Most of the hard work is done now. Install is working. Obfuscation is working at first glance and Diplomacy is very close to done. I am going to take the opportunity to fight the mass battle that is coming, as that is ideal for testing. Then I will start a new game in an installed, obfuscated version and play the first year or two. If all that goes well, I can release.

Sounding good albeit rather manic.
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

The following users thanked this post: Faber81

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #742 on: April 08, 2020, 06:30:25 AM »
The end of March is in sight!

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #743 on: April 08, 2020, 06:53:59 AM »

I am going to take the opportunity to fight the mass battle that is coming, as that is ideal for testing.

Whilst I'm hugely looking forward to getting a chance to play the game, I'm also very interested to hearing how that battle plays out!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 07:50:35 AM by chrislocke2000 »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #744 on: April 08, 2020, 07:27:49 AM »

:)

While I missed the date, in retrospect I think it was a good idea to aim for it. I definitely focused more on delivery with the hard date in sight. Of course, the situation is different now as I am not going to spending time in the motorhome in the near future so the immediate time pressure was removed. Without the lock down, I probably would have released a week or two sooner without the line-by-line review and then regretted it. I know it is going to be a week or two late, but I do think the delay is well worth it.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #745 on: April 08, 2020, 07:44:42 AM »

:)

While I missed the date, in retrospect I think it was a good idea to aim for it. I definitely focused more on delivery with the hard date in sight. Of course, the situation is different now as I am not going to spending time in the motorhome in the near future so the immediate time pressure was removed. Without the lock down, I probably would have released a week or two sooner without the line-by-line review and then regretted it. I know it is going to be a week or two late, but I do think the delay is well worth it.

Absolutely!!!  I'm actually surprised/impressed (in a good way) that you're hitting the date so closely.  This is the same way I try to schedule projects at work - set an aggressive release date that could conceivably be hit, with the full knowledge that there's a good chance that the date will slip.  It's very difficult to generate the same sense of urgency that forces working through the "20" of the 80/20 rule without a concrete release date looming.

John

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #746 on: April 08, 2020, 07:49:26 AM »
I think in professional software development missing the date by a week or two is already rather rare and noteworthy. Missing the date by a week or two for a hobby project, plus with large life changes to deal with at the same time (working from home is no joke), is amazing.

The following users thanked this post: Protomolecule

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #747 on: April 08, 2020, 08:16:20 AM »
A major studio would have just let it release with completely broken Diplomacy with the option that maybe down the line they'll patch to look less broken but without taking the time to actually fix it.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline snapto

• Bronze Supporter
  • Petty Officer
  • s
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #748 on: April 08, 2020, 08:22:46 AM »
I think I speak for many of the Lurkers out there like myself when I say we really appreciate all the hard work you've put into this project and your willingness to share the fruits of your labors. I'm really looking forward to release WHENEVER that may be. Just don't burn yourself out getting to the finish line - there's bound to be bugs after all  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Deutschbag, Zed 6, kks, bro918, smoelf, Nori, Kyle, Kiri, Protomolecule, DaedalusPrime

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #749 on: April 08, 2020, 08:48:00 AM »
A major studio would have just let it release with completely broken Diplomacy with the option that maybe down the line they'll patch to look less broken but without taking the time to actually fix it.

No no, you miss the insanity genius of modern day publishing: Diplomacy would have been released as a DLC option for $9.99.

The following users thanked this post: Protomolecule