Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272861 times)

Offline firsal

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • f
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2020, 12:11:39 AM »
A minor thing, it would be nice if MAA units could also provide AA coverage for units under the same parent formation as it's formation. For example, I have an AA battery and 3 tank battalions under one HQ; it would be great if it could cover its fellow subordinate formations. Plus, this isn't much different from having the AA units  within the HQ formation; it would still provide AA cover for the same units.

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #226 on: April 18, 2020, 07:40:34 AM »
A minor thing, it would be nice if MAA units could also provide AA coverage for units under the same parent formation as it's formation. For example, I have an AA battery and 3 tank battalions under one HQ; it would be great if it could cover its fellow subordinate formations. Plus, this isn't much different from having the AA units  within the HQ formation; it would still provide AA cover for the same units.

I'm not entirely opposed, but you want to watch out for players who make larger formations just using MAA in a lot of front-line units and having them all cover each other.

So I'll propose a tweak. If a unit with MAA is in support position, it can cover its parent's subordinates.

The following users thanked this post: firsal, Earthrise

Offline Silverkeeper

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2020, 07:56:20 AM »
I have limited experience with Aurora 7.2 but I really miss the old fighter window.
Refueling was easier too.

Thanks Steve for an awesome game.

Offline DEEPenergy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #228 on: April 18, 2020, 09:46:22 AM »
It would reduce a lot of clutter if there was an option to 'Group Contacts' for civilian ships :)

The following users thanked this post: Resand

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2020, 09:59:29 AM »
Yeah, I had to turn them off in Contacts menu, because there is heavy traffic in my home system, option to group them would be welcome.

Offline Napier

• Leading Rate
« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2020, 11:51:27 AM »
These are some minor quality of life suggestions with the UI that I've come across so far in 1. 51.       

One of the most appreciated aspects of this and games in general for me are all the small details that enhance my willingness to play, rather than erode it.     

1.       Ship design, 2nd pane with items to add - if you extend one of the show/hide pulldowns, and then you close it again, the game doesn't remember that closure each time you re-open design window.       It'll keep them open until you restart the game, at which time all of them are closed.     

2.       Have the mouseover tooltips stay on the screen for much longer than 2 or 3 seconds.       Some of them are long and I need to mouseover several times to read the whole label.     

3.       Industry tab - after modifying a construction order, leave the line item that was modified highlighted.       Personally, often I want to change the queue order as well, especially in situations where I need to modify the % before the game will let me move it up into the active queue.     

4.       Movement orders tab - After adding an order the left most pane resets to the top of the list each time you add an order.       In scenarios where there is a scroll bar and I am working further down the list, I'd need to scroll down each time.        Ie.       if there is a long list of asteroids and I want to geo survey a specific set in the same general area of the list, I'd need to scroll down each time after I add an order to find the next one again.     

5.       Not sure if it's possible to add double clicking capability to the 3rd right most pane of the movement orders tab, as it has for the middle 2nd pane.     

6.       Movement orders tab - When trying to select multiple items in the 3rd right most tab, only the first item is added to the orders list rather than all of them.       i.      e.       a common scenario for me would be selecting multiple minerals to add the same amount to a cargo hold at once.       May not be able to use double clicking in this case.     

7.       Naval org - have the game remember the checked state of the 'Show civilians' checkbox.     

8.       Naval Org, OOB tab - 95% of the time for me at least, I am not interested in the civilians ships in the list.       And it's difficult to get an 'at a glance' view of your ships in the list with the current formatting of the ship list, in combination with the many civilian ship types once several shipping lines are building.        Suggestions: 1.       remove the civilian ships from the list or 2.       allow the 'Show civilians' checkbox in the window to toggle their inclusion in that tab as well, or 3.       at least separate the two with a space: player ship lists above and civilian ships below in each system, and maybe bold the system name.     

9.       Main system map window - Scenario: I mouse-select a new system in the pulldown that has multiple listed, then once the view changes to the new system, I use the mouse scroll bar to try to zoom into the map to get a closer view of it.       But the pulldown focus hasn't been deselected yet, so I end up scrolling off to a different system in the list instead.        Mouse clicking in the map area doesn't deselect the pulldown focus.       The only way I've found to deselect the focus is to use the Tab key, which may not be obvious to some players.        Perhaps mouse clicking on the general map area should also deselect the focus.     

10.       Shipyards tab - I think it would be useful if clicking on the part of the shipyard line under the 'Assigned class' column would also select the shipyard.       Right now, when I want to select a SY, I am finding my eyes and mouse cursor start under the class column to find the right ship type, and then I try to click it only to remember that it isn't selectable.        Then I move my eyes left across the line to find the right shipyard name to click.     

11.       Economics, left colony list pane - With 'By function' checked, the game does remember when you close a top level category.        But it doesn't remember when you close a system show/hide in any of the views, or when you close a star in the 'Star' view.        This is a bigger issue when there are colonies in many systems, some of which are less important and I want to keep them them from taking up space in the list.     
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:00:17 PM by Napier »

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue, Droll

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #231 on: April 18, 2020, 12:29:47 PM »
All the command and control components appear in the same line when designing a ship. The only other component I see that appears there is Diplomatic Modules (DIP), but there is no officer that gets attached to diplomatic modules.

My suggestion is: Ambassadors/Diplomats/Emissaries attached to Diplomatic Modules.

Second suggestion: Intelligence module (ISTAR/C3I/ISR) to attach an Intelligence Officer.

Offline SerBeardian

« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2020, 04:26:40 PM »
Not sure if mentioned already, probably is, but a stop interrupt when a ship fails to repair something during a maintenance failure would be great.

Offline yourITguy

• Petty Officer
  • y
« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2020, 04:41:27 PM »
Love the new AutoMedal system! That being said, I discovered that the conditions are OR instead of AND.  I personally think that AND makes more sense, but for maximum flexibility it would be great if we could toggle it per condition or per medal, so that we can setup something like an "Exceptional Explorer Ribbon" that is awarded when someone discovers 10 stars AND 100 jump points AND a habitable planet, etc.   I realize, that we could just have a separate medal for each of those, but picking out images is hard.  :)

Offline yourITguy

• Petty Officer
  • y
« Reply #234 on: April 18, 2020, 04:52:16 PM »
Quote from: SerBeardian link=topic=10640.  msg125414#msg125414 date=1587245200
Not sure if mentioned already, probably is, but a stop interrupt when a ship fails to repair something during a maintenance failure would be great. 

Another good one would be when someone that is manually assigned dies; a naval admin commander or governor, for example.   The event log moves by so fast, which is awesome, it's hard to spot those. 

By the way, I enjoy your videos, SerBeardian!

Offline yourITguy

• Petty Officer
  • y
« Reply #235 on: April 18, 2020, 04:57:57 PM »
Okay, one more.  I never can remember which fleet a certain ship is in, so it would be great if the event log would include that information for things like low fuel/MSP warnings.  For example, for low fuel, we currently get something like this:

"Benedict Allen has only 17. 1 percent of its maximum fuel (389 072 litres)"

It would be great if it said this instead:

"Benedict Allen in SRV-01 has only 17. 1 percent of its maximum fuel (389 072 litres)"

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn

Offline macks

• Chief Petty Officer
  • m
« Reply #236 on: April 18, 2020, 05:13:35 PM »
Quote from: yourITguy link=topic=10640. msg125420#msg125420 date=1587246087
Love the new AutoMedal system! That being said, I discovered that the conditions are OR instead of AND.   
maybe if there were an option to choose OR/AND because for some medals like Hero of the Soviet States I give medals for the extremely difficult conditions, so researchers, commanders, administrators can all get it for exceptional service, making it AND would make it impossible for a broad medal like that to be awarded.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2020, 06:02:00 PM »
Okay, one more.  I never can remember which fleet a certain ship is in, so it would be great if the event log would include that information for things like low fuel/MSP warnings.  For example, for low fuel, we currently get something like this:

"Benedict Allen has only 17. 1 percent of its maximum fuel (389 072 litres)"

It would be great if it said this instead:

"Benedict Allen in SRV-01 has only 17. 1 percent of its maximum fuel (389 072 litres)"

If you double-click the event on the event window it should take you to the individual unit details window, with the Benedict Allen selected.

Offline MasonMac

• Registered
  • M
« Reply #238 on: April 18, 2020, 07:38:45 PM »
Let us make divisions in the military so I can create a Peace Keeper division alongside the main Military. All RP.

Offline yourITguy

• Petty Officer
  • y
« Reply #239 on: April 18, 2020, 07:59:03 PM »
Quote from: macks link=topic=10640. msg125442#msg125442 date=1587248015
Quote from: yourITguy link=topic=10640.  msg125420#msg125420 date=1587246087
Love the new AutoMedal system! That being said, I discovered that the conditions are OR instead of AND.   
maybe if there were an option to choose OR/AND because for some medals like Hero of the Soviet States I give medals for the extremely difficult conditions, so researchers, commanders, administrators can all get it for exceptional service, making it AND would make it impossible for a broad medal like that to be awarded.

Yes, a toggle.  Which is what I originally proposed.