Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272829 times)

Offline Disguy

• Petty Officer
  • D
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #285 on: April 21, 2020, 12:14:25 PM »
Quality of Life suggestion.  Can we get some more differentiation between non-editable numbers and static? I find it hard to tell what I can modify.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler, Alsadius

Offline SevenOfCarina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #286 on: April 21, 2020, 02:39:37 PM »
This is a balance suggestion. Many of the early ground combat techs that are extremely necessary (construction, geosurvey, and xenoarcheology equipment, etc.) or needed for thematic reasons (fighter pods, etc.) end up arriving later than they should in conventional start games or in TN campaigns with small populations and/or low research rate multipliers. May I suggest lowering the cost on some of these to 2,000 RP from 5,000 RP?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #287 on: April 21, 2020, 06:25:26 PM »
This is a balance suggestion. Many of the early ground combat techs that are extremely necessary (construction, geosurvey, and xenoarcheology equipment, etc.) or needed for thematic reasons (fighter pods, etc.) end up arriving later than they should in conventional start games or in TN campaigns with small populations and/or low research rate multipliers. May I suggest lowering the cost on some of these to 2,000 RP from 5,000 RP?

How necessary is xenoarchaeology if you can't get off your home world?  (It's possible to start with alien ruins on your homeworld, but only if the SpaceMaster specifically adds them.)

How necessary is geosurvey of you can't get off your home world?  (Homeworlds start fully surveyed.)

How necessary is construction equipment if you have no offworld colonies?  (And if ground units with construction are more efficient than actual construction factories, that's a big reason to increase the tech cost, not decrease it.)

- - - - -

If things are "arriving later than they should" due to the research priorities the player set, I think that's an indication they set the wrong priorities (or have unfortunately-specialized scientists for their desires).

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #288 on: April 21, 2020, 06:39:29 PM »
(or have unfortunately-specialized scientists for their desires).
You can change that now (best feature ever).

Tuli

« Reply #289 on: April 21, 2020, 07:42:17 PM »
Sorry with my question, Steve: Will you release a version compatible with 768 vertical high resolution? I have 1366x768 on a notebook screen

Thanks!

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #290 on: April 21, 2020, 11:58:01 PM »
Minerals window:
Please allow sorting by availability before amount, as that is the more important number.
Please add a 'total' column showing the total amount of minerals and their combined availability.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, DIT_grue, Alsadius

Offline SevenOfCarina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #291 on: April 22, 2020, 12:37:46 AM »

How necessary is xenoarchaeology if you can't get off your home world?  (It's possible to start with alien ruins on your homeworld, but only if the SpaceMaster specifically adds them.)

How necessary is geosurvey of you can't get off your home world?  (Homeworlds start fully surveyed.)

How necessary is construction equipment if you have no offworld colonies?  (And if ground units with construction are more efficient than actual construction factories, that's a big reason to increase the tech cost, not decrease it.)

- - - - -

If things are "arriving later than they should" due to the research priorities the player set, I think that's an indication they set the wrong priorities (or have unfortunately-specialized scientists for their desires).

With a 60,000 RP start and 20% research speed, I end up with mid-sized extra-solar colonies before Improved Nuclear Thermal Engines. It seems a bit weird to have multiple ruins and survey-able sites in your empire which you can't exploit because the prerequisite techs cost as much as the most expensive technology you've researched so far, but this might be situational.

The more pressing issue is that the ground combat techs appear to be clustered around the 5,000 RP mark, while all of the other categories have a more equitable distribution with several different cost brackets. My ground combat scientists typically sit around twiddling their thumbs until I can afford 5,000 RP techs, at which point they rip through them and then become useless because there's nothing else to research apart from the GFTF construction rate tech and the racial techs.

Construction equipment is a bit too good, I agree. They should be at least twice as expensive as they currently are for their construction capacity. The problem is that construction equipment is necessary for fully fortifying ground units, unless I'm mistaken, and in the early game with superior opponents, that fortification bonus is invaluable.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #292 on: April 22, 2020, 02:42:30 AM »
Sorry with my question, Steve: Will you release a version compatible with 768 vertical high resolution? I have 1366x768 on a notebook screen

Thanks!
Per Steve
The required resolution is 1440 x 900.

This is unlikely to change.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline idefelipe

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #293 on: April 22, 2020, 02:55:01 AM »
Hey Steve, is it possible to change the position of the acronym of the ship to be after the name?

Now it is shown:

AMT Ammunition Transport

ANC Anchorage

etc

is it possible to show them in the drop down of the ship design screen in the inverse order?

Ammunition Transport AMT

Anchorage ANC

I say this, because if you write a name in the field to "find" the ship, as the acronym is the first letters and some of them does not match with the name, it is a bit more difficult than as I suggest.

Just a bit of quality of life :D

Thanks!!

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2020, 04:18:31 AM »
Piracy.  I know this has been suggested for years, but as far as I remember the reasons against it were more lore based than anything else, so I've tried to think of a mechanic that would fit logically into the game.

Gameplay reasons: Having occasional attacks by low threat enemies in rear areas would give the player a reason to build patrol ships.  These would have a different design philosophy than the battle fleet - with range and endurance being more important than raw combat efficiency - and to me anyway, that sounds fun.  Obviously you'd want an option to turn the system off in the same way as spoiler enemies for people who don't agree.

Lore: Pirate ships should come from ships "scrapped" by civilian shipping companies.  The idea being that a few of these make their way onto the black market, get modified (increase their speed enough to make them useful, and add a few weapons).  They then slip through the jump gate network to somewhere to raid civilian shipping lanes, until the player hunts them down. 

Mechanic:  A percentage of scrapped civilian ships generate a pirate.  Probably the system only starts after some set number ships have been scrapped (so its not a super early game thing).  When one is generated, a system that a) has a planet with a pop over 25 million and b) is connected to the home world via the jump gate network, gets a pirate generated.

Each pirate in a system has a random chance of spawning any time there is a civilian ship in the system.  It appears at some distance from the target ship, and moves to intercept.  Once it intercepts it attacks, destroys the ship, salvages it, then flees outsystem.  Once it has been undetected on any player sensor for some length of time, it despawns.  If the player manages to destroy the ship, the pirate is removed from the game.

The pirate should have enough weaponry to kill a civilian in a reasonable amount if time, and be fast enough to make an interception doable. But you'd want to be able to meet the threat with a small warship with range speced engines - the challenge is meant to be having a ship there at all.

The following users thanked this post: stabliser, Earthrise

Offline peli082

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • p
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2020, 06:15:47 AM »
This is a small thing.  But I suggest we rename the "Beam Fire Control" to something else like "Weapons Fire Control" or "Turret Fire Control".  The reason for this is I am an avid railgun and dont like the beam part.  So, Thanks for atleast reading this small thing.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2020, 09:06:04 AM »
Medal upgrades?

Maybe I missed this, but some decorations in real life have several levels/classes (i.e. the German Iron Cross, many Soviet orders, certain service/expertise ribbons), and it's not unusual for the higher variant to supersede the lesser one. So it'd be cool if Aurora could implement that kind of evolution: an officer wouldn't have the first, second and third class of a given award of this type; only the highest (i.e. first class).

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #297 on: April 22, 2020, 09:19:34 AM »
I've been playing around with stabilizing Lagrange points, and it's pretty obvious that the existing pathfinding is a bit limited. It is only used when the user adds orders to the queue, and then the orders are fixed. When a new Lagrange point is added, you have to go back to all your fleets and rebuild their orders from scratch so that it can be used. This is especially annoying when all of your fleets are going in and out of the same central system, because that's where you want the most Lagrange points to save time, and where you'll have to rebuild orders the most frequently.

Worse, Lagrange points move. If you stabilize the Earth Lagrange point as well as the Venus Lagrange point, the Venus Lagrange point will sometimes be the closest and other times the Earth Lagrange point will be closest. A fleet cycling its orders ought to be able to pick the closer of the two each time it cycles, rather than being limited to just one or the other.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #298 on: April 22, 2020, 10:47:36 AM »
Hey Steve, is it possible to change the position of the acronym of the ship to be after the name?

Now it is shown:

AMT Ammunition Transport

ANC Anchorage

etc

is it possible to show them in the drop down of the ship design screen in the inverse order?

Ammunition Transport AMT

Anchorage ANC

I say this, because if you write a name in the field to "find" the ship, as the acronym is the first letters and some of them does not match with the name, it is a bit more difficult than as I suggest.

Just a bit of quality of life :D

Thanks!!

That is a terrible idea.  I don't want my destroyers all over the place because they are the 'A' class, the 'B' class, the 'C' class, etc., and therefore interwoven with literally every other ship I've constructed.

Now, we could both probably be satisfied if 'Hull Type' and 'Ship Name' (or 'Class Name' where appropriate) were independently-searchable fields, so you can find your ships by name and I can keep everything ordered by type like it should be.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, DIT_grue, Alsadius

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #299 on: April 22, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »
Piracy.  I know this has been suggested for years, but as far as I remember the reasons against it were more lore based than anything else, so I've tried to think of a mechanic that would fit logically into the game.

Great idea. . . for after we get a robust civilian economy & commercial shipping.  And preferably after, or along with, a way to use CIWS in offensive mode, or otherwise simulated an 'armed merchantman' concept.

Gameplay reasons: Having occasional attacks by low threat enemies in rear areas would give the player a reason to build patrol ships.  These would have a different design philosophy than the battle fleet - with range and endurance being more important than raw combat efficiency - and to me anyway, that sounds fun.  Obviously you'd want an option to turn the system off in the same way as spoiler enemies for people who don't agree.

Literally the only thing stopping you from building patrol ships and deploying them in your rear areas is you.  If it sounds fun, do it.  If it sounds not-fun due to current mechanics and/or software limitations, advocate for changing those.

Lore: Pirate ships should come from ships "scrapped" by civilian shipping companies.  The idea being that a few of these make their way onto the black market, get modified (increase their speed enough to make them useful, and add a few weapons).  They then slip through the jump gate network to somewhere to raid civilian shipping lanes, until the player hunts them down. 

No, the lore should be whatever I decide it should be to fit my fiction.  The same way I can rename Ion engines to "triple-expansion steam" engines if I so desire.

Not the least because I don't have a jump gate network.

Mechanic:  A percentage of scrapped civilian ships generate a pirate.  Probably the system only starts after some set number ships have been scrapped (so its not a super early game thing).  When one is generated, a system that a) has a planet with a pop over 25 million and b) is connected to the home world via the jump gate network, gets a pirate generated.

What if I want my pirates to be renegade ground troops with boarding shuttles?  Historically (and in modern times), the vast majority of pirates have been (are) shore-based in small craft who swarm over passing ships.

Sure, most people probably want an intense, somewhat-close-to-even ship-to-ship fight with a full-up starship, but an hour after Steve releases the 'Pirate Patch' there will be people on these boards posting "Just use a large cruiser with X sensor and Y missile launchers of Z size and A range to exterminate these pests from outside the range they even know you're there."

- - - - -

I apologize; I seem to have drifted off topic.  There are many, many ways to do the mechanics (What about ships that can turn on their commercial transponder and prevent you from firing at them?  What if they only way to deal with a pirate vessel is to board and capture it?) and that discussion should be left until after we decide what the purpose of adding pirates is, and what we want them to do, and -- for lack of a better term -- where 'the fun' of piracy is.

Each pirate in a system has a random chance of spawning any time there is a civilian ship in the system.  It appears at some distance from the target ship, and moves to intercept.  Once it intercepts it attacks, destroys the ship, salvages it, then flees outsystem.  Once it has been undetected on any player sensor for some length of time, it despawns.  If the player manages to destroy the ship, the pirate is removed from the game.

I would hate that.  I hate the idea of a ship literally disappearing from the game 'until next time' -- it stinks of the worst kind of video game logic.  Once a ships exists, it should continue to exist and Aurora should know where it is at all times.

Not the least because if I want to hunt pirates by finding their base, they darn well need to have a location to be found.  Pirate ships should not get a pass on fuel or maintenance or ordnance.  They should be stealling these things from their victims and running short if I do a good job of risk management.

The pirate should have enough weaponry to kill a civilian in a reasonable amount if time, and be fast enough to make an interception doable. But you'd want to be able to meet the threat with a small warship with range speced engines - the challenge is meant to be having a ship there at all.

The pirate should function by exactly the same rules as every other ship in the game.  If the humans / Alzairians / robots / Gorrthik of the pirate boat can figure out how to make something a functional starship weapon, my empire's highly-paid and pampered scientists can figure out the same thing with sufficient funding.

The following users thanked this post: papent, DIT_grue, Earthrise