Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272862 times)

Offline ceselb

• Registered
  • Petty Officer
  • c
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #465 on: May 04, 2020, 03:54:19 AM »
A more clear distinction between the names of standing orders for geosurvey vs gravsurvey, please. I keep always selecting the wrong set. It's not at all obvious from the current naming witch is witch.

Speaking of standing orders, how about setting a default standing order that gets applied to all ships unless overridden by changing manually? That would save a lot of clicks.

The following users thanked this post: serger, skoormit

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #466 on: May 04, 2020, 06:56:21 AM »
On the Civilian Economy tab, when a colony is designated as "Source of Colonists", I would like to be able to specify a reserved population amount, such that only population in excess of that amount is considered available for relocation.

This would make it much easier to keep civvies from taking too many colonists and leaving too few workers for my installations.
Right now I have to keep a close eye on it, and switch the status back and forth all the time.

Well, if the amount you want to specify is "25 million" you're in luck.  Otherwise, the answer is government colony ships.

Or start blowing up civilians, starving them of funds, tractoring their ships to capture them (if that exploit still exists) or even outright deleting shipping lines.

It's 10 million now in C#. Or half the capacity of the system body, if lower.

And I know what the answer is. I am suggesting that another answer be made available.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #467 on: May 04, 2020, 06:59:00 AM »
A more clear distinction between the names of standing orders for geosurvey vs gravsurvey, please. I keep always selecting the wrong set. It's not at all obvious from the current naming witch is witch.

Speaking of standing orders, how about setting a default standing order that gets applied to all ships unless overridden by changing manually? That would save a lot of clicks.

Agree on the wording of those standing orders.

I'd love to be able to define a default standing order per class that would apply to any fleet that contains only ships of that class.
But I suspect that's a relatively large nut to crack, codewise.

Offline Demakustus

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #468 on: May 04, 2020, 08:21:54 AM »
I'm happy to see the ruler from VB is back :)
Could we also get a bearing from the start point display next to the distance? Thanks :)

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, JuergenSchT, skoormit

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #469 on: May 04, 2020, 08:43:21 AM »
The ability to restrict the ship types civilian shipping lines can build/use.
It is mostly for role-playing purposes; but it would be nice if you can make companies
like ESSO Galactic, Häagen-Dazs Cryo Services or Amazon Cargo that specialize in a specific branch of civilian shipping.

Maybe check-boxes on the "Shipping Line" tab could be implemented without too much work, similar to the check-boxes on the "Repair Report" & "Detailed Fuel Report" tab.

Gord yes!  I have long advocated that civilians should build only one type of ship -- for many reasons, including that my luzury cruise passengers would not be susidizing more infernal CMCs.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #470 on: May 04, 2020, 08:45:00 AM »
Automatic promotions can be turned on or off using the game setting "Realistic Commander Promotions".
Game settings is the third button from the left.
If it isn't working then please post in the bug reports thread.

AFAIK (I tested it in 1.9.3), "Realistic Commander Promotions" switches only an influence of Political Reliability of Commanders, not an auto-promotion turns as a whole.

There is a separate tick box for Political Reliability; the two should have nothing to do with each other.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #471 on: May 04, 2020, 08:51:06 AM »
It's very strange and counter-intuitive, that Racial (Ground Forces) Weapon Strength depends on "Max Size" (caliber) techs, and fully ignores wavelength / retardation / launch velocity / PB range. Why must infantry weapon depend on max sizes of guns, completely not depending on their "quality"? I think it will be much more consistent to make it on the contrary: both infantry and vechicle weapons can be dependent on "quality" tech lines.

It would hardly change anything.  Aurora assumes the two things are equal, and since it is already selecting 'the highest of {group}' adding more elements to the group under consideration would only have an effect if your empire, for example, increased wavelength before increasing size.

A better question is why does ground force weapon strength completey ignore gauss cannon tech?  My empire is in the strange position of having to research a completely foreign weapon to make any progress.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #472 on: May 04, 2020, 09:01:36 AM »
Yes, exactly.  And this is the problem.  Mass Drivers should not be preferable to government freighters.  They should be the choice of last resort, or reserved for cases like the Earth-Luna run where load & unload times for freighters are longer than the transit time from source to destination.
I violently disagree with this statement.  If you don't want to use mass-drivers in your games, that is your choice, but don't take them from me, especially before sensible hauling orders for government transports are both available and working.  We can't even refuel a ship reliably yet, let alone set up a logistics train.

1) The ability to delete prototype components in the class design screen.

2) A message to confirm the game has been saved.
An option to automatically save on exit.

The following users thanked this post: smoelf, JuergenSchT, skoormit, Ironclad Mouse

Offline Shodan13

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #473 on: May 04, 2020, 09:36:57 AM »
I'd like to see an option (or tech) to reduce jump engine squadron size with a small reduction in hull size.  Currently you can make the self-only jump engine if you go under the racial minimum which doesn't make for very useful drives. 

If I have independently acting ships, I'd like them to have the most efficient (meaning squadron jump size 1) jump engines.

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #474 on: May 04, 2020, 10:03:11 AM »
There is a separate tick box for Political Reliability; the two should have nothing to do with each other.

Well, I tested it again, and it works as I mentioned above.
And there are tooltips, discribing how it works correctly.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #475 on: May 04, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »
It would hardly change anything.  Aurora assumes the two things are equal, and since it is already selecting 'the highest of {group}' adding more elements to the group under consideration would only have an effect if your empire, for example, increased wavelength before increasing size.

I don't understand. The two things (caliber-techs and "quality"-techs) are different and are used differently. I prefer medium-caliber quick firing guns, so I'm nearly always stop to research high-caliber techs, while continually researching wavelength techs to inc my lasguns' effective range.

It looks natural, that my infantry will have more efficient guns of the same size (they are not becoming giants, so they have quite the same hand gun sizes) with this progress. But no, in C# Aurora they have not, and to give better guns to my soldiers, I have to research high caliber guns... Why?!

A better question is why does ground force weapon strength completey ignore gauss cannon tech?

Agree. My imagination of best space infantry gun is gauss rifle! But it's the same: better infanry gauss rifle is a gauss rifle with better launch velocity per kg of weapon, not 12-inch caliber of them!

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #476 on: May 04, 2020, 10:45:14 AM »
Regarding class design:
Currently Aurora uses a mix of HS and tons to calculate sizes.  This causes headaches when fine-tuning ship designs because 0.01 HS is 0.5 tons.

Suggestion:  Ditch HS entirely and just use tons.

Regarding jump engines:
Military jump drives no longer work with commercial engines.  This causes difficulties when designing jump tenders to support military engined ships, because those tenders can't use fuel efficient engines anymore.  Edit: This is especially painful when trying to support small long range survey ships.  The jump tender tends to wind up over 2500t, which is big enough to need commercial engines to keep pace with the survey ships, leaving it unable to self-jump.

Suggestion:
As Aurora already takes into account both drive types being available to a fleet, allow both a military jump drive and a commercial jump drive on the same ship. 

I'd like to be able to build this:
Code: [Select]
JumpMaster class Gate Builder      84,630 tons       243 Crew       1,606.2 BP       TCS 1,693    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s    JR 2-25(C)      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 37      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 11    Max Repair 1000 MSP
Kaigun-Ch?sa    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   
Jump Point Stabilisation: 180 days

JC100K Commercial Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 100000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
J3000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 3000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:55:07 PM by SpikeTheHobbitMage »

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
« Reply #477 on: May 04, 2020, 10:57:35 AM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=10640.  msg130662#msg130662 date=1588599801
Gord yes!  I have long advocated that civilians should build only one type of ship -- for many reasons, including that my luzury cruise passengers would not be susidizing more infernal CMCs. 

While I don't share Father Tim's seething hatred for the mere idea of private shipping ;D, I do agree that having the various civilian companies specialize would be neat.   Having most lines operate only one category of vessel, with a chance of expanding to others as they get more wealthy would be neat.   

Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=10640.  msg130666#msg130666 date=1588600266
It would hardly change anything.    Aurora assumes the two things are equal, and since it is already selecting 'the highest of {group}' adding more elements to the group under consideration would only have an effect if your empire, for example, increased wavelength before increasing size. 

A better question is why does ground force weapon strength completey ignore gauss cannon tech?  My empire is in the strange position of having to research a completely foreign weapon to make any progress. 

Both of these could be addressed together - make racial ground weapon strength based on the average of your research into one of the weapon categories that are flagged as ground affecting.   I'd vote for railguns, gauss, laser and possibly plasma, personally - the first three have three techs that make sense for impacting ground combat, and plasma has two, making it a little cheaper to research up ground weapons.  I wouldn't want to have to select which weapon type a unit is using, just use whatever option produces the highest number (though throwing an automatic entry in the stat block of an element when it was built showing what category of weapons it's using could be neat for fluff reasons.  )

While this means you won't be as penalized by not researching a specific sub-field, races who invest in all the techs in a type will be better with them than ones who neglect one or more techs, which brings some nice verisimilitude. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:11:01 PM by kenlon »

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #478 on: May 04, 2020, 03:19:40 PM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=10640.  msg130662#msg130662 date=1588599801

While I don't share Father Tim's seething hatred for the mere idea of private shipping ;D, I do agree that having the various civilian companies specialize would be neat.   Having most lines operate only one category of vessel, with a chance of expanding to others as they get more wealthy would be neat.   

Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=10640.  msg130666#msg130666 date=1588600266
It would hardly change anything.    Aurora assumes the two things are equal, and since it is already selecting 'the highest of {group}' adding more elements to the group under consideration would only have an effect if your empire, for example, increased wavelength before increasing size. 

Both of these could be addressed together - make racial ground weapon strength based on the average of your research into one of the weapon categories that are flagged as ground affecting.   I'd vote for railguns, gauss, laser and possibly plasma, personally - the first three have three techs that make sense for impacting ground combat, and plasma has two, making it a little cheaper to research up ground weapons.  I wouldn't want to have to select which weapon type a unit is using, just use whatever option produces the highest number (though throwing an automatic entry in the stat block of an element when it was built showing what category of weapons it's using could be neat for fluff reasons.  )

While this means you won't be as penalized by not researching a specific sub-field, races who invest in all the techs in a type will be better with them than ones who neglect one or more techs, which brings some nice verisimilitude.
Part of the problem that people seem to be having is that the civilian fleets expand too quickly.  Demand limiting would nip that in the bud.  I haven't seen mention of it here, so I'm going to repeat a suggestion from the old VB suggestions thread.

Suggestion:
Track civilian ships' idle time to limit growth.

Suggested method:
For every civilian shipping line keep a counter for each category of ship they operate (freight, colony, liner).
Every time a ship can't find work, increment the relevant counter.
Every time a civilian line considers building ships:
-check the counters to determine eligibility.
-only build categories with counters less than (idle ship limit*production cycles since last check).
-reset counters.

This will limit each line to (idle ship limit) surplus ships per category.

The following users thanked this post: serger, Migi

Offline clew

• Leading Rate
  • c
« Reply #479 on: May 05, 2020, 10:40:16 AM »
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but my survey FACs and carriers are really missing a "Refuel from Tanker" conditional order. 

As an aside, the "Refuel from Colony or Hub" does not count local tankers with Refueling Systems if it should.