Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272793 times)

Offline hostergaard

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • h
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #540 on: May 11, 2020, 03:29:18 AM »

This is supposed to already exist, however I haven't acutally had success with it the one time I tried to use it.

Okay, thanks, but could you tell me where/how? Tried to find a button like that but I failed so far. But still, I wonder why not make all unresearched tech prototypes? Seems to me that would simplify things, but maybe there is a reason not to that I am unaware of?

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #541 on: May 11, 2020, 03:50:20 AM »

This is supposed to already exist, however I haven't acutally had success with it the one time I tried to use it.

Okay, thanks, but could you tell me where/how? Tried to find a button like that but I failed so far. But still, I wonder why not make all unresearched tech prototypes? Seems to me that would simplify things, but maybe there is a reason not to that I am unaware of?

Turning a prototype into a researched component is an extra step. Very often I know fairly well which specifications a component needs and I only use prototypes when I am unsure of what would fit in the ship I am designing in terms of size and capability.

Prototypes are marked with a (P) in the class design window. If you select a prototype component, a new button appears called 'Research Prototype'. This change the marker to (RP) and you can now research it in the research window. You have to do it for each individual prototype. A ship that contains a prototype has a (P) after its name, which dissappears after you research the last prototype.

You can also check out SpaceMarine's video on it: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11003.msg130029#msg130029
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 04:09:39 AM by smoelf »

The following users thanked this post: hostergaard

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #542 on: May 11, 2020, 06:55:57 AM »
The classes in the class design windows feel obsolete. I usually have one active ship class (occasionally two) in each of them. So it is an unnecessary act to klick on the class to open the respective list - which is one entry long.

Suggestion: If there is only one active entry in a group, don't display the group but instead display the abbreviation of the class in front of the ship class name. And only generate a group if there is more than one active entry (depending if you have obsoletes visible or not. If there are 4 ships in one class but three are obsolete - only show the abbreviation and no group. Only switch to group if obsoletes should be shown.

Offline Cinnius

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #543 on: May 11, 2020, 06:57:22 AM »
could you insert a string in the "academies" tab under the "Race Information" window to find out how many crewmen are available at the moment?

Offline pwhk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • p
« Reply #544 on: May 11, 2020, 07:21:24 AM »
Actually, I would like to have "# researched techs" and "researched points" in "Race Information" Window too

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #545 on: May 11, 2020, 09:12:43 AM »
Not sure if it's been suggested yet, but editable fields should be more obvious. At first I thought green text was editable, but that's not always the case, and it's not always readily apparent what is.

While it should be tidier, a quick fix could be to give editable fields an underlined font style.

What do you think?

The following users thanked this post: Cinnius, UberWaffe

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #546 on: May 11, 2020, 11:56:59 AM »
Class Design window

I know some people wanted the abbreviation after the name, but I'd like an option to put back in front.  I use the abbreviations as a shorthand to quickly find the entries I want.  In that same vein, an option to include the abbreviation in the class list would be helpful for the same reason.

If Race Components is selected both left and right click will add a component.  It would be more convenient if right click instead removed the component.  An alternative would be for right click to bring up a popup where an amount can be entered.

The miscellaneous tab shows remaining build points but not the points about to be spent.  It would be helpful to add an entry showing (class BP*number to build).

The following users thanked this post: Father Tim

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #547 on: May 11, 2020, 12:26:47 PM »
A way to turn prototypes into real tech easily and quickly. Like, this prototype, make it a real tech as I wanna use it and don't wanna fiddle about with options to replicate the damn thing when I have been spending time designing ships and forgot the exact specs. Like, maybe a button in ship design that says something like "Research Prototypes" that turn all the prototypes used in the class into a real design.

Prototypes only show up in the research list when you go to the class design screen, select the prototype in the components list and press the Research Prototype which appears. It might be nice to have a button to research all the prototypes in a given class but personally I don't think I use more than 1 or 2 prototypes at a time.

The reason that prototypes don't automatically show up in the research list is that you might make several prototype components at the same time (eg sensors or engines) and then try and fit the largest one on your ship. The ones you don't use never appear on the research list so you don't have to worry about researching the wrong component.

In fact, why have prototypes as a separate thing? Why not make all designed tech that have yet to be researched be prototypes automatically? The moment you research them they are not prototypes anymore but real tech, but until then they could work as prototypes do now.

I think your second point could be re-phrased as "When you press the create project button for a component, generate a prototype component with the (RP) designation".
At the moment if you know what you want and create a research project, you can't get access to the component in the design screen without also creating a prototype, but if you create a prototype then you have to hunt it down in the class design screen in order to generate the research project. If you're used to researching every component before you can use it then you probably don't mind that much but if you're new to Aurora then you might see it as a lot of unnecessary clicking.

My suggestion:
Add a button which upgrades the armour but makes the class a prototype. For clarity it would have to be a separate button from the current upgrade armour button.

The following users thanked this post: hostergaard

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #548 on: May 11, 2020, 12:56:34 PM »
Invaders.  There was some concern in the 1.10.0 changes discussion about limiting invaders.  There are some ways to curb them without being crippling:

1) Prevent invaders from exploring unconnected jump points.  This will prevent them from increasing their own spawn rate through unchecked exploration.
2) Invaders should only consider targets within a certain number of jumps.  If no target is found then they should return to a nearby rift to camp.  If no rift is reachable, the ship should time out.  Timeout could be handled through maintenance failures.
3) Limit the number of invaders that can camp at a given rift.  Larger rifts should support greater tonnage.  Excess campers should either move to a non-crowded rift or despawn.  Despawning should not create wrecks.

There are two failure modes that should be taken into consideration:

1) Returning ships must either always return to their original rift or overcrowded rifts must be able to redistribute.  This is to limit kiting exploits.
2) Rifts should be prevented from excessively flooding a player through redistribution.  Preventing rifts from over-spawning and limiting redistribution range would be sufficient.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 01:01:30 PM by SpikeTheHobbitMage »

Offline Azuraal

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #549 on: May 11, 2020, 12:58:54 PM »
In a similar vein to setting commanders as story characters or putting a glass celling on their careeer, could we get an option to set Military rank as manual promotion only or adding strict medal requirements?

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #550 on: May 11, 2020, 12:59:30 PM »
It would be kindof nice if prototypes became researchable as soon as you had the tech to do so.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #551 on: May 11, 2020, 01:05:45 PM »
It would be kindof nice if prototypes became researchable as soon as you had the tech to do so.
They aren't researchable automatically for reasons Migi pointed out above, but being able to mark future tech as researchable so they appear in the research tab as soon as their prerequisites are done would be handy.

The following users thanked this post: amram

Offline arty

• Leading Rate
  • a
« Reply #552 on: May 11, 2020, 01:14:07 PM »
i post it here again sorry for the wrong place

any chance that terraform get a order to terraform a world to race needs automatic?  without doing every gas yourself ?

thanks arty

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #553 on: May 11, 2020, 01:26:48 PM »
They aren't researchable automatically for reasons Migi pointed out above, but being able to mark future tech as researchable so they appear in the research tab as soon as their prerequisites are done would be handy.

That would be agreeable to me.  I can understand wanting to have a variety of designs that never get researched, and wouldn't really have any problem ticking a box on my end to get the behavior I want instead.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #554 on: May 11, 2020, 01:34:37 PM »
Minor quality of life suggestion:

Currently, if you train 9 company formations then train a HQ formation, the suggested name is "10th HQ". It would be nice if the ground unit construction tracked the unit numbers (1st Company, etc) by template rather than globally. I think it would be a relatively simple thing to track, and would make unit construction a smoother experience.

I object to this.  It wouldn't improve my quality of life at all; it would wreck it.  I don't want to deal with fifteen different "1st Companies".

To put it bluntly, I think it would be easier for you to rename 10th HQ Co than for me to rename 2nd through 9th.