Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272796 times)

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #660 on: May 28, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
Some sort of way to "repair" or "refit" ground unit formations into a formation template.

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn, Droll, serger

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #661 on: May 28, 2020, 09:49:50 PM »
Adding an a command layer in-between TG commanders and Admin commanders. These commanders are mounted on ships and their command skills are passed down to any TG assigned to them in the same system.

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #662 on: May 28, 2020, 10:25:43 PM »
Some sort of way to "repair" or "refit" ground unit formations into a formation template.

Perhaps a button where if you select a formation, you are being asked which one it should refill, and it would transfer elements from formation A into formation B automatically and correspondingly to the template?
Easier said than done!

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #663 on: May 29, 2020, 12:51:10 AM »
I can see some possible use cases to handle mangled/obsolete formations:
An option to swap units with another formation to meet a template.  This could also be used to quickly reorganize existing formations in the field.
An option for a training center to replace any missing units in an existing formation.  Bonus points if the replacement cohort can be built for a formation that is at another location, to be transported and merged on site.
An option for a training center to refit existing units to a new type.

Offline firsal

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • f
« Reply #664 on: May 29, 2020, 05:59:47 AM »
Minor QoL feature, it would be great if we could have the "Hide Civilian Contact Names" option on the Display window back. It really declutters the system view while still being able to see civilian shipping (and watch the trade convoys pass by)

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, JuergenSchT, YABG

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #665 on: May 29, 2020, 08:21:52 PM »
Minor QoL feature, it would be great if we could have the "Hide Civilian Contact Names" option on the Display window back. It really declutters the system view while still being able to see civilian shipping (and watch the trade convoys pass by)
Contacts tab, uncheck 'Civilians'.

It would be nice to be able to create a system in SM mode without passing knowledge of it to the player,  and have the ability to delete knowledge of a system from a player.  This would allow two player races in different systems to start without any knowledge of each other, even if one of them starts in Sol.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:25:29 PM by SpikeTheHobbitMage »

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #666 on: May 29, 2020, 09:54:18 PM »
I can see some possible use cases to handle mangled/obsolete formations:
An option to swap units with another formation to meet a template.  This could also be used to quickly reorganize existing formations in the field.
An option for a training center to replace any missing units in an existing formation.  Bonus points if the replacement cohort can be built for a formation that is at another location, to be transported and merged on site.
An option for a training center to refit existing units to a new type.
I think the refit and repair tasks which shipyards do could be a model for this.
You repair a formation by telling the GFCC what formation to start with and what you want it to end up as, it just builds the difference and adds them automatically.
I'm less keen on building replacement formations and shipping them around but it would probably make more people more happy if that was an option.

On an unrelated note, can we get a default Field Position for each template?
I don't think I'd ever want my artillery formations in the front line while the divisional logistics units want to be in the rear.
If I could have them automatically take up the appropriate support or rear position it would save a bunch of clicking.

A way of mass selecting and assigning formation position would also be nice and probably a good substitute for the above.

Also for STO targeting, could we get a default target or mass assign for them? (STOs designed as PD weapons are probably going to want one of the PD options)
Also the STO targeting tab would be better if you had the option to group them by system and body like the normal ground units tab.
Also could we get an option to target the closest ship?
Also (final one I promise) what is the difference between Final Defensive Fire and Final Defensive Fire Self? (I know what it does in the context of ships but I don't see the point for STOs)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:55:52 PM by Migi »

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #667 on: May 30, 2020, 02:02:20 AM »
Make CMC reach range determined by current tech level (with the same tech, that determines velocity of mass driver's mineral packets; now this reach range is 80 AU constant).

Offline firsal

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • f
« Reply #668 on: May 30, 2020, 04:36:26 AM »
Contacts tab, uncheck 'Civilians'.

It would be nice to be able to create a system in SM mode without passing knowledge of it to the player,  and have the ability to delete knowledge of a system from a player.  This would allow two player races in different systems to start without any knowledge of each other, even if one of them starts in Sol.

No, what I'd like is to be able to see the blue dots that mark the location of civilian ships without the TG names attached. Using this option hides civilians completely.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, SpikeTheHobbitMage, amram, serger

Offline wedgebert

• Ace Wiki Contributor
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • w
« Reply #669 on: May 30, 2020, 09:24:11 PM »
I'd be nice to be able to use ground force templates to build other templates.

For example, I might define what makes up an infantry platoon (or even a squad), but those size units are way to small be of use, so I want to make an infantry company that is made up of three infantry platoons which is made up of three rifleman squads and a heavy weapons squad.

So I go to the template and add those templates to it and it just adds the appropriate unit numbers to my company. Maybe even have a special non-buildable template that is just there for this kind of design

The following users thanked this post: Droll, serger

Offline plasticpanzers

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #670 on: May 30, 2020, 10:32:24 PM »
A Suggestion, if not already brought up, to be able to pick a color for you planets, colonies, and outposts in the system maps so you can pick them
out of the background jumble.

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #671 on: May 30, 2020, 11:04:57 PM »
A special message that appears when an Admin Command or a colony/sector loses a leader would be nice. Right now you have to scrutinize every retirement to make sure they weren't assigned to something, and most of the time I can't see it cuz the words don't fit on my skinny secondary monitor. 

Of course, being able to set automatic assignments for those jobs would be most  ideal.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:10:44 PM by BasileusMaximos »

The following users thanked this post: serger, skoormit

Offline Iceblade02

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • I
  • Discord Username: @Iceblade02#6817
« Reply #672 on: May 31, 2020, 02:14:39 AM »
Quote from: BasileusMaximos link=topic=10640.   msg135541#msg135541 date=1590897897
A special message that appears when an Admin Command or a colony/sector loses a leader would be nice.    Right now you have to scrutinize every retirement to make sure they weren't assigned to something, and most of the time I can't see it cuz the words don't fit on my skinny secondary monitor.     

Of course, being able to set automatic assignments for those jobs would be most  ideal.   

To expand upon this - being able to hide events affecting non-assigned officers.    I may have hundreds o unassigned officers, but I really want to know when something happens to the few dozen important ones.   

As someone on the discord so eloquently put it:

"I really don't care if Jack Sparrow who takes extended holidays and is never employed gets trampled by a rhinoceros while on a Safari.    Jill Sparrow however who's researching my planet annihilator 500 tonne missile, yeah her death is a bit more important.   "

EDIT:
Also, I've noticed that bodies with large amounts of terraforming equipment (particularly small ones due to the terraforming multipliers) can have accuracy troubles when terraforming.   For instance, in my current terraforming of Luna, one terraforming tick is about 0.  0033 atmospheres.   I suppose it's just a bit of QOL, but it makes adding non-safe gasses such as CO2 (for rp reasons) hard without poisoning the atmosphere. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:22:43 AM by Iceblade02 »

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, serger, skoormit

Offline serger

• Commodore
« Reply #673 on: May 31, 2020, 02:34:44 AM »
1. Sort records in Commander's personal history by Date + index both decreasing, to avoid partially reversed order, when there was several manual promotions/assingning events during one game pause.
2. Delete previous promotion/assignment personal history record, when player counteracted it in the same datetime, to provide player an ability to correct mistakes without silly "blots" in commander's personal records.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline serger

• Commodore
« Reply #674 on: May 31, 2020, 02:47:35 AM »
Repliyng to Steve's new post in FAQ (http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11578.0).

I think it will be cool, if there will be no blunt "max range" parameter at all, because there is no parabolic ballistical trajectory of energy and kinetical impacts in Aether, I suppose.
That's enough to have hit chance decreasing with distance, so with current fire mechanics, where guns devouring maintainance during fire, there will be no endless kiting and so no big advantage of long range beam weapons.