Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272795 times)

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #705 on: June 07, 2020, 08:48:34 PM »
I think that assigning Admin positions could be easily automated since they are already designated as employing one of a couple of skills officers have. So to fill a logistics Admin the game would look first for the lowest rank that could fill the positions and then for the highest logistics skill.

Its a bit less straightforward with naval and General Admins, I grant you, since General could be anything and Naval could be tactical, reaction, etc.

At the very least, messages should be narrowed down so you don't miss that an Admin post lost a commander. Instead of reporting every retirement, promotion, XP gain (this is a big one, I get spammed hard by this mid game) by default the game should only let you know when a post has been vacated without a replacement. Perhaps highlight it as a priority message.

EDIT:

Oh! And an option to make a ruin guaranteed to spawn on Mars that gives you TN tech. You are unable to research it otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:02:30 PM by BasileusMaximos »

Offline wedgebert

• Ace Wiki Contributor
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • w
« Reply #706 on: June 07, 2020, 10:25:37 PM »
How about Research Complexes. These would be assigned research labs and a research queue like a scientist, however they would also have a scientist assigned to them.

At their simplest, they would just provide a way to set up a research queue without having to worry about the scientist retiring or dying and having to reconfigure the queue. If no scientist is assigned, it just sits idle like the labs would, but assigning a new scientist would make it continue as normal.

A more advanced version would allow multiple scientists and would automatically assign the scientist with the highest total research points for the given project. That way, if the lead dies, someone can automatically take his place. Or if the a backup scientist increases her skill or max labs such that she would do more research with the assigned labs, she would take over.

They wouldn't even have to be a building, necessarily, just a list of assigned scientists, a research queue, and number of labs assigned (obviously they'd still have to all be on the same planet)

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #707 on: June 08, 2020, 03:08:04 AM »
Different naming themes for different species.

It would be nice if you could distinguish different species by giving them different naming themes.

Adding to that: multiple species starts. I'd love to continue my OpenXcom XPiratez game in space and start with a couple different species under one empire.

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #708 on: June 09, 2020, 12:49:05 PM »
Use FFD to increase rear bombardment's weapon chances to hit, not only air and orbital ones.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, SpikeTheHobbitMage, Droll

Offline Marv

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #709 on: June 09, 2020, 12:56:25 PM »
Two things in the Commander window that I would kindly ask to be improved:
1.   Colours that make the destinction between filled and vacant position MUCH more obvious then actually possible, currently it is a hassle to see if a position is already filled or not, especially because
2.   There is no functionality that when I click on a filled job title the owner is highlighted on the list on the left side and/or the top part of the window (including age, traits etc.   of a given commander).   Click-selecting a position should show me the owner, that is my wish. 
Thank you for listening,
Marv
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 07:52:32 AM by Marv »

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, skoormit

Offline bitbucket

• Chief Petty Officer
  • b
« Reply #710 on: June 11, 2020, 07:12:11 PM »
I just want the ability to spacemaster jump point destinations brought back.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #711 on: June 11, 2020, 10:33:53 PM »
I just want the ability to spacemaster jump point destinations brought back.

You can create jump points with SM but they wont show if:
a - There is no survey
b - If there is a complete gravsurvey you need to SM redo it for them show up

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #712 on: June 12, 2020, 01:23:12 AM »
Use BindingList and relatives with appropriate DataSource objects for UI forms, and then send update notification messages instead of clearing and rebuilding them.  This should fix the various scrolling and focus problems that people have been complaining about while also making the UI faster.

The following users thanked this post: Warer, skoormit

Offline wedgebert

• Ace Wiki Contributor
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • w
« Reply #713 on: June 12, 2020, 08:13:52 AM »
Would be nice if various screens remembered the last selected values. I'm particularly thinking of the Commanders screen as 9 times out of 10 I'm going to reassign/check on Planetary Administrators who are good at mining.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #714 on: June 12, 2020, 09:39:03 AM »
Use FFD to increase rear bombardment's weapon chances to hit, not only air and orbital ones.

Does the FFD need to be with the arty formation for this or the formation being supported?
Does the accuracy boost still apply if the FFD is also directing CAS/OBS?

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #715 on: June 12, 2020, 10:06:42 AM »
For performance reasons, it'd be very welcome to implement limits on civilian ship traffic. Ideally all configurable in the game options.

A few alternatives:
  • Global civilian vessel cap
  • Civilian vessel cap tied to number of colonies
  • Civilian vessel cap tied to empire population (best one in my opinion ;))
Cheers!

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, Droll, Warer, BigBacon, UberWaffe, Vastrat

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #716 on: June 12, 2020, 11:33:27 AM »
For performance reasons, it'd be very welcome to implement limits on civilian ship traffic. Ideally all configurable in the game options.

A few alternatives:
Cheers!
In case you weren't aware, you can turn off civilian vessel generation in the game settings any time after starting.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #717 on: June 12, 2020, 12:50:03 PM »

A few alternatives:
Cheers!
In case you weren't aware, you can turn off civilian vessel generation in the game settings any time after starting.

I think people want the civilian economy to scale with their empire without destroying game performance on the long term, which is why a lot of people want to see a more limited approach to civies.
The checkbox you mention is a perfectly valid solution and it should never be removed IMO but it is kind of stop gap.

I personally think that the civilian economy should be abstracted more so that individual ships shouldn't be simulated all the time. Maybe instead use a system similar to how the "detection only in systems where player is" dropdown works and instead dynamically load in civilian freighters only when there are enemy/NPR ships in the same system. That way you only load in like 100 of the total 600 civilian ships during an NPR attack for example

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #718 on: June 12, 2020, 01:03:23 PM »

A few alternatives:
Cheers!

I think people want the civilian economy to scale with their empire without destroying game performance on the long term, which is why a lot of people want to see a more limited approach to civies.
The checkbox you mention is a perfectly valid solution and it should never be removed IMO but it is kind of stop gap.

I personally think that the civilian economy should be abstracted more so that individual ships shouldn't be simulated all the time. Maybe instead use a system similar to how the "detection only in systems where player is" dropdown works and instead dynamically load in civilian freighters only when there are enemy/NPR ships in the same system. That way you only load in like 100 of the total 600 civilian ships during an NPR attack for example
I don't think that ships in transit are the problem, rather it is the idle ships looking for work and not finding it.  If so, then the problem is that the civvies build more ships than they need.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #719 on: June 12, 2020, 01:05:06 PM »

I'm aware, but having to handle that aspect entirely manually is quite a pain and requires you to be constantly aware of civilian ship numbers and guesstimating when you have enough (and when you don't). Not to mention turning it on and off in the long run as your empire expands, and doing some manual scrapping since disabling civilian construction also stops upgrades.

I'm certain that side of the game stands to gain plenty from just a little bit of intelligent automation. It's not where the player's brainpower should be.