Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272805 times)

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #990 on: September 24, 2020, 10:58:45 PM »
I wonder if ground units should have to be equipped with 'suppression' or 'peace-keeping' equipment/training in order to reduce unrest on planets. An army isn't trained to police civilians, you should have to have special police units for that.

In combat, suppression equipment would perform like light infantry weapons but be more expensive.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:59:48 PM by BasileusMaximos »

The following users thanked this post: dag0net, xenoscepter

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #991 on: September 24, 2020, 11:42:18 PM »
I wonder if ground units should have to be equipped with 'suppression' or 'peace-keeping' equipment/training in order to reduce unrest on planets. An army isn't trained to police civilians, you should have to have special police units for that.

I like this idea! And maybe a Miltia Unit too! :D

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #992 on: September 24, 2020, 11:50:27 PM »

I like this idea! And maybe a Miltia Unit too! :D

Militia units should be spawned, not built. They'd have similar stats to crew; they'd use light weapons nly and have 1/3rd the armor of regular troops.

Another idea: Ground Unit Templates made of templates. For instance, instead of having to que up 3 infantry companies, 1 heavy weapons company, and 1 battalion command and then connect them all I could make an infantry battalion template that ques all those templates up, trains them together, and then deploys them all at once correctly attached to one-another.

EDIT: I also wish that ground units had executive officers which were just CO rank - 1. That way I'd actually use my Lt. Colonels and such.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 12:20:48 AM by BasileusMaximos »

The following users thanked this post: swarm_sadist

Offline Theoatmeal2

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #993 on: September 25, 2020, 12:25:56 AM »
How about a conditional order that tells the geo/grav ships to survey an unsurveyed system.  I`m getting sick of doing this manually.

If there is already a way to do this I`ll feel pretty stupid.

Offline dag0net

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #994 on: September 25, 2020, 12:40:49 AM »
How about a conditional order that tells the geo/grav ships to survey an unsurveyed system.  I`m getting sick of doing this manually.

It depends how your geo/grav ships are designed to operate, the order system allows flexibility.
Don't have the orders to look at so phrasing is off.

Standing, not conditional: Survey next 5 system bodies(geo) & Survey next 3 system locations(grav)
&
'Move to system requiring geosurvey/gravsurvey

with conditionals for fuel/msp/enemies

If you don't see those, check version?

The selection favors single role, long range, jump drive equipped survey craft for hands off.
People blame god for making life worth living, in the same vein. . . "Work harder Steve!"

The following users thanked this post: Theoatmeal2

Offline Theoatmeal2

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #995 on: September 25, 2020, 12:47:39 AM »
Quote from: dag0net link=topic=10640. msg141111#msg141111 date=1601012449
Quote from: Theoatmeal2 link=topic=10640. msg141110#msg141110 date=1601011556
How about a conditional order that tells the geo/grav ships to survey an unsurveyed system.   I`m getting sick of doing this manually. 

It depends how your geo/grav ships are designed to operate, the order system allows flexibility.
Don't have the orders to look at so phrasing is off.

Standing, not conditional: Survey next 5 system bodies(geo) & Survey next 3 system locations(grav)
&
'Move to system requiring geosurvey/gravsurvey

with conditionals for fuel/msp/enemies

If you don't see those, check version?

The selection favors single role, long range, jump drive equipped survey craft for hands off.

Christ you are absolutely right, I`ve looked over and over how have I not seen that ???

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #996 on: September 27, 2020, 12:58:05 PM »
Couple suggestions to make managing training fleets a bit easier.

First, movement order "Shore Leave". Orders a fleet to a planet to perform shore leave, and temporarily blocks standing orders and training until shore leave is completed. (Naturally manually canceling the shore leave and ordering the fleet will let you move them again. But otherwise, no automatic canceling of leave by standing orders)

Second. Conditional order and reaction, "Max Deployment Reached", and move to nearest recreational location and shore leave.

Basically these 2 are to make training divisions a little less manual (as one has to very often shift fleets around in commands to give training ships shore leave... and it gets a touch micromanagey after a while)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 01:14:50 PM by linkxsc »

The following users thanked this post: swarm_sadist, papent, Barkhorn, Droll, TheTalkingMeowth, Vastrat

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #997 on: September 28, 2020, 10:51:45 AM »
Couple suggestions to make managing training fleets a bit easier.

First, movement order "Shore Leave". Orders a fleet to a planet to perform shore leave, and temporarily blocks standing orders and training until shore leave is completed. (Naturally manually canceling the shore leave and ordering the fleet

Second. Conditional order and reaction, "Max Deployment Reached", and move to nearest recreational location and shore leave.

Basically these 2 are to make training divisions a little less manual (as one has to very often shift fleets around in commands to give training ships shore leave... and it gets a touch micromanagey after a while)

+1, this would make exploration vessel automation that much easier too

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #998 on: September 28, 2020, 09:17:41 PM »
Suggestion: A new module that works like the science department or CIC, which can be staffed by a ground unit commander, and can act as the highest level hq for a ground formation.  Eisenhower didn't go ashore in the first wave on D-Day after all, but that's what happens in Aurora.

The following users thanked this post: Borealis4x, xenoscepter, Theoatmeal2

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #999 on: September 28, 2020, 09:25:51 PM »
Suggestion: A new module that works like the science department or CIC, which can be staffed by a ground unit commander, and can act as the highest level hq for a ground formation.  Eisenhower didn't go ashore in the first wave on D-Day after all, but that's what happens in Aurora.

- I took at stab at this same idea, here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11671.0

The following users thanked this post: Norm49

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1000 on: September 29, 2020, 01:16:31 AM »

I agree. This would also be good for when you want to put all the Marines in your fleet under a unified command.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #1001 on: September 29, 2020, 04:35:57 PM »
In order to work like I think you want it you would have to break the requirement for HQ's to be in the same location as the ground units in order to provide a bonus.
And if that's the case, why not have Eisenhower back on earth instead?

The flaw with your analogy is that when attacking a planet you can land literally anywhere on the planet, so all you do is locate the defenders, land your assault divisions 50 miles away, land your support divisions 100 miles away, and your rear area units 150 miles away (distances representative, not literal).
No one gets shot as soon as they get out the transport and everyone has time to get in formation for the big push.

Whereas Eisenhower was limited to a narrow strip of French coastline (unless he wanted to join the paratroopers).

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #1002 on: September 29, 2020, 04:52:45 PM »
What makes you think anywhere is 100's of km away from defenders?  I mean sure if you're dropping on some listening post or frontier mining colony, but not if you're dropping on a homeworld.  To continue the D-Day analogy, the entire planet will be behind the Atlantic Wall.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1003 on: October 01, 2020, 01:39:16 AM »
In order to work like I think you want it you would have to break the requirement for HQ's to be in the same location as the ground units in order to provide a bonus.
And if that's the case, why not have Eisenhower back on earth instead?

Realistically, cuz of communication. That limitation is somewhat modeled in the game already since you have to expand your Naval HQ for it to have a longer range, which I imagine means adding an even bigger communication array on top of the last one.

Also its just easier if the commander in charge of invading the planet is somewhere close by so they can physically meet with their commanders and have a better handle on the situation. I also think adding a 'middle layer' between forward commanders and the generals back at HQ would be interesting and create more realistic scenarios. System-wide commands are perfect to fill it.

Personally, I'd even expand on the idea and have bigger command modules be able to effect all ground forces in the entire system so a Field Marshal can lead an entire solar campaign. I'd also expand said mechanics to fleets, so that you can put multiple task forces acting independently in a system under the command of an in-system Admiral.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:57:39 AM by BasileusMaximos »

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #1004 on: October 01, 2020, 05:09:00 PM »
What makes you think anywhere is 100's of km away from defenders?  I mean sure if you're dropping on some listening post or frontier mining colony, but not if you're dropping on a homeworld.  To continue the D-Day analogy, the entire planet will be behind the Atlantic Wall.
Earth has 148 million square kilometres of land, a space assault is not landing like the marines at Normandy, it is like the gliders landing in the middle of a French farmers field except you aren't limited to light infantry and light equipment, you have navigation systems so that you don't get lost and your transports are 100% re-usable.