Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272859 times)

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #1305 on: January 20, 2021, 06:18:26 AM »
I think the right way will be to create research tasks by "Update Request" button, not update all autonatically without Research Points use.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1306 on: January 20, 2021, 08:59:07 AM »
I think the right way will be to create research tasks by "Update Request" button, not update all autonatically without Research Points use.
This is an important point as the RP cost for upgrading units must be preserved in such a new system.

Offline Cosinus

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
« Reply #1307 on: January 20, 2021, 03:46:51 PM »
Not sure if this was suggested before, but I would like it, if the colour of ship names in the ship list changed according to their damaged status, just like in the fleet tree view. This would allow players to see at a glance whether a ship in the fleet is damaged, without having to open the fleet and all the subfleets.

I've poorly edited in the orange colour, so you can see what it would look like.

EDIT: A better image:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 04:04:38 PM by Cosinus »

The following users thanked this post: Rince Wind, mike2R, Droll, serger, Gabrote42, alex_g, nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1308 on: January 20, 2021, 03:55:06 PM »
Not sure if this was suggested before, but I would like it, if the colour of ship names in the ship list changed according to their damaged status, just like in the fleet tree view. This would allow players to see at a glance whether a ship in the fleet is damaged, without having to open the fleet and all the subfleets.

I've poorly edited in the orange colour for 2 ships, so you can see what it would look like.

+1.

Piggyback: it would be nice to have a few more colors corresponding to the "Status" codes so we can see from the left-hand fleet tree which ships e.g. are in overhaul/refit, have sensors on, etc. This would help cut down on the amount of flipping-between-tabs in the Fleet window.

The following users thanked this post: Rince Wind, Droll, serger, Gabrote42, alex_g

Offline LiquidGold2

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #1309 on: January 20, 2021, 09:55:25 PM »
Would it be possible to add a checkbox to exclude single ships from the maintenance system? It would presumably be an SM power.

I like to take capture enemy ships and bring them home as trophies, but as they're trophies that never align with my doctrine I never use them in actual combat.  I often don't even repair them.
I also like keeping "historical" ships instead of sending them to the breakers when they're no longer useful.

What I'd really like is a full mothball system, wherein you can trade ongoing maint requirements for "de-mothballing" time, to allow for the use of reserve fleets.  But I suspect that would involve a fair bit of work on Steve's end.  A simple version of this might be able to use the same system interrupted overhaul and boarding ship control penalties use.

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1310 on: January 21, 2021, 05:07:23 AM »
Showing the actual max travel distance of an active tug would be nice somewhere in the ship info... maybe additionally a log entry which checks when a tug picks up another ship how far it can travel with that load. If the travel distance is larger than how far the tug with the load actually can go until the tug receives the release order, then a log entry should pop up warning you that a tug is going to be stranded in space if nothing is done.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, serger

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1311 on: January 21, 2021, 05:23:10 AM »
For SpaceMaster Mode: In Role-play it is sometimes useful to add certain values to for example research or construction. Lets say you manage several parties and grant certain bonus actions for one player. Like a research bonus on a certain tech. It would make it easier for the SpaceMaster to simply add 50% research points to that one research rather than having to manually remember the shortened time when he has to "Instant" that tech for that one player. Same goes also in the other direction. Lets say you want to simulate an attack on a research facility where one of your scientists has died. As SpaceMaster you could simulate also the loss of research by being able to remove RP from that research.

And so on and so forth for anything that happens in game.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue, Gabrote42

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1312 on: January 21, 2021, 07:06:28 PM »
I would like to be able to click on a system in the Galaxy map and have the main map focus on that system... If I double right click the system view comes up and if I double left click the tactical map centres and zoom in to that system.

After a while it become rather tedious to scroll through the list on the tactical map and navigating on the galaxy map would be so much easier.

Unless there already is a way to do this that I'm unaware of?!?

I would also like to have zoom on the galaxy map, would also help when the galaxy start to sprawl out.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 02:01:08 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: Rince Wind, serger, alex_g, nuclearslurpee

Offline alex_g

• Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #1313 on: January 22, 2021, 02:04:13 AM »
I would also like to have zoom on the galaxy map, would also help when the galaxy start to sprawl out.

Yes, please! I'm up to 400 star systems and the time it takes for me to get from one corner of the galaxy to the other is quite long.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1314 on: January 22, 2021, 03:55:00 AM »
Showing the actual max travel distance of an active tug would be nice somewhere in the ship info... maybe additionally a log entry which checks when a tug picks up another ship how far it can travel with that load. If the travel distance is larger than how far the tug with the load actually can go until the tug receives the release order, then a log entry should pop up warning you that a tug is going to be stranded in space if nothing is done.

I'd prefer if it wasnt too incessant, I make fairly heavy use of tankers to top off tugs doing long term hauling jobs (the longest to my memory was 20 years or so) but I would find some indication of how far it can get without being topped up to be exceedingly useful.  Sometimes a hualing job is just flat out impractical and it would be nice to have an easy indication of that rather than having to do math (i will take a hard pass if i need to tank something more than like a dozen times at absolute most).

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1315 on: January 22, 2021, 06:17:47 AM »
Another thing that is really tedious to manage are automated ship runs and when you need to go in and tweak or change them just slightly. Now you basically need to scrap their orders and give them new ones.

Instead it would be really helpful if we could just select an order in the list and update it with new conditional input, such as order delays, max/min mineral pickup and the like. Now I could just adjust the amount of mineral of each type a freighter pick up and/or drop off or change the delay to make a ship go more or less often to a specific destination.

When I change the factory production of a colony I might also need to change the minerals carried to that planet. When the colony expands it factory output I need to increase the visit of my mineral haulers to accommodate the higher production rate.

In addition to this I would also like for all installation to be affected by the max/min order conditions. It would be far easier to set up automated runs if my transport would sit and wait for the next Automine to be produce rather than me having to calculate how long it will take and use an order delay, this also means I have to recalculate this once in a while depending on production rates.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 01:26:23 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: alex_g

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1316 on: January 22, 2021, 10:27:03 AM »
I have another thing that I have been thinking of lately in regard to balance... I think that shipyards that are doing any sort of construction such as expanding the size or adding slipways should get half production capacity if it also are building any ships, or reduced production capacity based on the number of slipways currently under use.

The general issue I have with shipyards is in comparison to ground construction factories, here you have to actually choose if you want to build more factories or something else.

I'm not saying this is a huge issue as you are still dependent on mined resources, but the shipyards are in general terms really effective once you start pumping out terraforming, orbital mining bases in their own dedicated yards. As you can keep building these while expanding the yards to build even more of them.

In order to curtail the snowball effect a bit I would suggest that yards get an efficiency modifier based on how many slipways are in use at the same time, up to 50% if all of them are in use at the same time as it does any sort of upgrade on itself. If you don't want it to be as severe you could make the max penalty like 33% or 25% instead, or you could turn it into a new tech line that start the penalty at even worse like 75% (you loose overall productivity if you multi-task) and then reduce the penalty down to a much smaller one at really high technology.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 01:24:59 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: serger, alex_g, nuclearslurpee

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1317 on: January 22, 2021, 01:18:00 PM »
Maybe it's possible to compensate this with an ability to add their expantion capacity to other shiyard's expantion (so, in extremum, all yards of the same planet will be able to sum all their expantion capacity on the one, most critical, yard).

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1318 on: January 22, 2021, 01:36:34 PM »
I have another thing that I have been thinking of lately in regard to balance... I think that shipyards that are doing any sort of construction such as expanding the size or adding slipways should get half production capacity if it also are building any ships, or reduced production capacity based on the number of slipways currently under use.

The general issue I have with shipyards is in comparison to ground construction factories, here you have to actually choose if you want to build more factories or something else.

I'm not saying this is a huge issue as you are still dependent on mined resources, but the shipyards are in general terms really effective once you start pumping out terraforming, orbital mining bases in their own dedicated yards. As you can keep building these while expanding the yards to build even more of them.

In order to curtail the snowball effect a bit I would suggest that yards get an efficiency modifier based on how many slipways are in use at the same time, up to 50% if all of them are in use at the same time as it does any sort of upgrade on itself. If you don't want it to be as severe you could make the max penalty like 33% or 25% instead, or you could turn it into a new tech line that start the penalty at even worse like 75% (you loose overall productivity if you multi-task) and then reduce the penalty down to a much smaller one at really high technology.

I would support even a simpler solution of making shipyards either/or - either they can do an expansion or they can build ships. As this would be quite restrictive currently I'd support coupling this with a significant boost to shipyard operations. To be less restrictive this could be on a per-slipway basis, i.e. a shipyard with two slipways can use one to build a cruiser and one to expand.

Net effect would be to create a decision between building ships and expanding the yard for future classes, while reducing the time it takes to get a fresh new shipyard up to useful capacity which presently is to be frank a bit of an annoyance.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1319 on: January 22, 2021, 01:54:41 PM »

I would support even a simpler solution of making shipyards either/or - either they can do an expansion or they can build ships. As this would be quite restrictive currently I'd support coupling this with a significant boost to shipyard operations. To be less restrictive this could be on a per-slipway basis, i.e. a shipyard with two slipways can use one to build a cruiser and one to expand.

Net effect would be to create a decision between building ships and expanding the yard for future classes, while reducing the time it takes to get a fresh new shipyard up to useful capacity which presently is to be frank a bit of an annoyance.

I'll go against both of you for the sake of argument and say that shipyards should use Ground Construction Capacity. I don't think it makes sense that a shipyard would have to cease all operation cuz its building another slipway, but that building capacity should be coming from somewhere. Using GC to build out shipyards would give the player more control over how quickly they want them built and eliminate redundant techs like Shipyard Operations while making the game's systems more interconnected.