Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272816 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #1320 on: January 22, 2021, 02:11:19 PM »
I'll go against both of you for the sake of argument and say that shipyards should use Ground Construction Capacity. I don't think it makes sense that a shipyard would have to cease all operation cuz its building another slipway, but that building capacity should be coming from somewhere. Using GC to build out shipyards would give the player more control over how quickly they want them built and eliminate redundant techs like Shipyard Operations while making the game's systems more interconnected.

Assuming you mean factory production and not ground unit construction, this would certainly be interesting. However it would slow things down a lot especially in the early game. Part of the whole advantage of shipyards is that they can be used in parallel to planetside industry, so tying them to your factories reduces that benefit. It could certainly work as a from-scratch concept, but you'd need to rebalance the whole game economy to account for the additional demands on industry.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1321 on: January 22, 2021, 02:39:58 PM »
Yards are space objects, not ground objects. They are to be build primarily by themselves. I'd like even to see completely different model of their initial construction: by construction spacecraft fleet (made by small craft factories), not by construction factories!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 02:42:09 PM by serger »

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1322 on: January 22, 2021, 02:50:13 PM »
Yards are space objects, not ground objects. They are to be build primarily by themselves. I'd like even to see completely different model of their initial construction: by construction spacecraft fleet (made by small craft factories), not by construction factories!

That sounds like the current system with extra steps tho. Construction Factories already make the initial yard, why wouldn't they make produce the expansions as well?

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #1323 on: January 22, 2021, 06:19:01 PM »
That sounds like the current system with extra steps tho. Construction Factories already make the initial yard, why wouldn't they make produce the expansions as well?
Construction Factories already make the initial yard now, in current version. What I proposed - is excluse Construction Factories completely, except of them make Small Craft Factories (now Fighter Factories, but it's not Fighters, especially at the beginning of the game), which could make Construction spacecraft, which could make Shipyards.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1324 on: January 22, 2021, 06:27:57 PM »

The initial yard one assumes is built in prefabricated sections and shuttled up into orbit by those invisible small ships that we never see but thanklessly perform vital tasks to keep our empires functional. Presumably once the yard is built, additional prefabbed sections don't make as much sense since we're not just chucking on another module but rather building something more carefully integrated to the yard and it must be built in place.

And again, in game terms clogging up planetside industry even more by requiring them to be used for shipyard operations would significantly slow down the economics of the game. That kind of major change isn't something that can be made lightly.

Offline serger

• Commodore
« Reply #1325 on: January 22, 2021, 06:36:13 PM »
Construction Factories already make the initial yard now, in current version. What I proposed - is excluse Construction Factories completely, except of them make Small Craft Factories (now Fighter Factories, but it's not Fighters, especially at the beginning of the game), which could make Construction spacecraft, which could make Shipyards.
Though no. I don't like this idea any more. Space crafts are not those who make yards - Borealis4x is right, they are moving it in orbit and mount there only, and this is already abstracted with shuttles. So, current model of initial buildup is good.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1326 on: January 22, 2021, 06:48:09 PM »
Building anything in space by a construction factory should at least require a space station located at the same colony...   ;)

Construction yards in Aurora are not really like dockyards that build ships in Earth... dockyards on Earth mostly just assemble ships.

Construction yards in Aurora are entire factories in space that builds every component and part of a ship... they are basically giant factory and construction complexes, they also require allot of people to operate. I also think Steve said in the past that a majority of the worker is located on the planet and not in space... I also presume allot of the industry is on the planet surface as well.

I don't have any problem with yards being able to expand their own capacity... I just wish there was an efficiency modifier so you can't expand as fast as long as you also use the yard to build ships. I think this make sense both from a role-play and mechanics perspective.

If Steve would like to redo how ship yards work and divide them into a factory section and a slipway section that could be interesting too. Every planet would then basically have an orbital industry that is a pool for all slipways, the slipways are the machinery and infrastructure to assemble the ships. I also think you should be able to convert commercial yards to build military ships for a price and some time... they produce 1/12 the size and also a reduce the assembly speed with say a 25% penalty, commercial slipways should be able to be militarized in an emergency.

If the factory part is separate from the assembly there could be some interesting choices to be made. You also should be able to pre build ship components with your shipyard factories so you can store them for quicker assembly later, just as you can do with ground factories. It sometimes make sense to keep components around for strategical purposes.

The following users thanked this post: alex_g

Offline serger

• Commodore
« Reply #1327 on: January 23, 2021, 02:05:08 AM »
I also think you should be able to convert commercial yards to build military ships for a price and some time... they produce 1/12 the size and also a reduce the assembly speed with say a 25% penalty, commercial slipways should be able to be militarized in an emergency.

If the factory part is separate from the assembly there could be some interesting choices to be made. You also should be able to pre build ship components with your shipyard factories so you can store them for quicker assembly later, just as you can do with ground factories. It sometimes make sense to keep components around for strategical purposes.

Second these!

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1328 on: January 23, 2021, 06:15:16 AM »
Redlining Engines-In combat engine boosting with a per tick chance to suffer a breakdown or engine explosion, based on the degree of boosting, and a disproportionately large rise in fuel consumption and a per tick cost in maintenance supplies.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:17:40 AM by Warer »

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #1329 on: January 23, 2021, 10:42:08 AM »
I have two suggestions:

1. Make turrets/guns set to Final Defensive Fire randomly choose which salvo to target
- Currently, if I shoot a salvo that targets 4 enemy ships, and the enemy can shoot down half the missiles, I know that always only 2 ships will be hit, since salvos are targeted in a set order.
- If instead each weapons randomly chose which salvo to target, then damage would be spread more equally unless all missiles were targeted on a single ship. This would also effectively increase the survivability of ships under missile attack, since you wouldn't have a only a few of the targeted ships taking all of the hits.

2. Make Auto-targeting choose targets based on size instead of seemingly randomly
- If Auto-target assigned weapons in the following order, I think it would generally work better, since bigger ships tend to be more dangerous
- Proposed order of targeting list: Largest to smallest ships with military engines, then largest to smallest ships with unknown engines, then finally largest to smallest commercial ships.
- This way, when you have less ships, the largest (and therefore usually most dangerous) enemy ships are targeted first, and once all military ships are targeted any ships that may be military are targeted, and then finally commercial ships are targeted. It also ensures that if you are using lots of small ships, the larger enemy ships are targeted more in general

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1330 on: January 23, 2021, 11:10:09 AM »
Redlining Engines-In combat engine boosting with a per tick chance to suffer a breakdown or engine explosion, based on the degree of boosting, and a disproportionately large rise in fuel consumption and a per tick cost in maintenance supplies.

Hell no on the malfunctions, I agree that some "afterburner" mechanic should burn more fuel than usual. But the fuel use is already a big enough draw back of boosting engines, they don't need to be anymore explosive than they already are.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1331 on: January 23, 2021, 12:00:42 PM »
Hell no on the malfunctions, I agree that some "afterburner" mechanic should burn more fuel than usual. But the fuel use is already a big enough draw back of boosting engines, they don't need to be anymore explosive than they already are.

This would essentially have no impact for large ships, which have a high explosion chance already, and an always-on button for fighters. Without the breakdown chance this could be an interesting way to make beam fighter PD competitive but given the limited use I don't see this being added.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1332 on: January 23, 2021, 01:19:33 PM »
Shouldn't techs like Infared Lasers and such effect Racial Weapon Strength instead of Laser Focal Size?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1333 on: January 23, 2021, 01:25:02 PM »
Shouldn't techs like Infared Lasers and such effect Racial Weapon Strength instead of Laser Focal Size?

Focal size affects per-shot damage whereas wavelength affects range. Given the expected engagement ranges on the ground I think it makes sense that the focal size tech matters more on the ground.

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #1334 on: January 23, 2021, 02:05:40 PM »

IIRC, last time we had one of those it got super removed (was it called hyperdrive?). My guess is that Steve wants to keep components more fixed.
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.