Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 272829 times)

Offline Stryker

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #1695 on: April 21, 2021, 08:46:16 AM »
Please put missile series back in.  As is, I have to change the loadout of each ship or the class loadout every time I want to top off my magazine with older missiles.  So please, please put this back in.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, Black, papent, Droll, BAGrimm, Zap0, nuclearslurpee

Offline kingflute

• Chief Petty Officer
  • k
« Reply #1696 on: April 23, 2021, 04:53:50 AM »
Allow for ships to provide control to missiles fired from other ships/fighters in the same fleet. Each FC system could control a fixed number of missiles each, with a new tech line to increase the number of missiles it can control.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1697 on: April 24, 2021, 07:13:43 PM »
You should only be able to change ship commanders when they are in port over a friendly world. I hate it when I send out a hand-picked commander only for him to be promoted in transit and be magically replaced with someone else. Promotion and assignment checks should only occur to unassigned and orbiting officers.

Be really cool if the XO or, failing that, highest rated officer on a ship could take over if the commander is killed.

The following users thanked this post: idefelipe, clew

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1698 on: April 24, 2021, 07:25:40 PM »
You should only be able to change ship commanders when they are in port over a friendly world. I hate it when I send out a hand-picked commander only for him to be promoted in transit and be magically replaced with someone else. Promotion and assignment checks should only occur to unassigned and orbiting officers.

This sounds really good in theory (realism, hooray!) but in reality is a huge micromanagement pain. Especially once commanders start being located on different worlds so that every time you want to assign a specific commander you need to figure out which system to send the shuttle to. This would work a lot better if we had some automation for it though.

Be really cool if the XO or, failing that, highest rated officer on a ship could take over if the commander is killed.

This would be great.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1699 on: April 24, 2021, 09:38:55 PM »

This sounds really good in theory (realism, hooray!) but in reality is a huge micromanagement pain. Especially once commanders start being located on different worlds so that every time you want to assign a specific commander you need to figure out which system to send the shuttle to. This would work a lot better if we had some automation for it though.

I wasn't thinking it'd be that granular. The only requirment would be for a ship to be in orbit over any friendly planet to get a new officer.

Offline Stryker

• S
« Reply #1700 on: April 26, 2021, 10:10:42 AM »
A refuel until full order.  This would be like the fill minerals until full order, except for fuel.  This would allow a simple set of orders for working with tankers and harvesters.  Refuel until full - Transfer fuel to colony x - Cycle orders.  Then I can stop trying to guess the right speed for my tankers so I'm not running half empty, or end up leaving my harvesters too full to where they are not harvesting.

The following users thanked this post: LiquidGold2

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1701 on: April 26, 2021, 12:43:14 PM »
A refuel until full order.  This would be like the fill minerals until full order, except for fuel.  This would allow a simple set of orders for working with tankers and harvesters.  Refuel until full - Transfer fuel to colony x - Cycle orders.  Then I can stop trying to guess the right speed for my tankers so I'm not running half empty, or end up leaving my harvesters too full to where they are not harvesting.
Not quite as easy as you think because all loading/unloading happens sequentially. So your tanker would refuel from Harvester 001 until that one is empty, then refuel from Harvester 002 until full and leave, while leaving Harvester 003 untouched. There is no way to siphon fuel from each harvester equally so you would still need to calculate the optimal travel speed for your tanker(s) to avoid 'wasting' harvesting time.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #1702 on: April 26, 2021, 01:13:37 PM »
Not quite as easy as you think because all loading/unloading happens sequentially. So your tanker would refuel from Harvester 001 until that one is empty, then refuel from Harvester 002 until full and leave, while leaving Harvester 003 untouched. There is no way to siphon fuel from each harvester equally so you would still need to calculate the optimal travel speed for your tanker(s) to avoid 'wasting' harvesting time.

I'd very much like that suggestion because I haven't figured out how to have automated fuel transfers from stations yet.

MSP and ordnance transfers manage to balance how much they put on each ship, pulling fuel from the highest fuel level in the target fleet should be possible. And be nice if that was the regular "refuel from" behaviour :-)

Offline Stryker

• S
« Reply #1703 on: April 28, 2021, 04:05:14 PM »

Never said it was easy, just useful.

Offline Bubbaisagod

• Petty Officer
« Reply #1704 on: April 29, 2021, 05:47:15 AM »
When you use the “harvester transfer and return” conditional order, every time the harvester returns
to the gas giant you get an interruption and event log message.
I don’t know if there is a reason for the interruption or if it’s possible to disable for harvester conditional orders only.

If it can be disabled I would suggest ask beg beg while crying
“Please Steve, oh great creator … save my sanity and disable the interruption”

Offline DeMatt

• D
« Reply #1705 on: April 29, 2021, 06:23:45 AM »
Eh... in Aurora VB, there was a button to equalize the fleet's fuel.  It seems to be gone from Aurora C#, but that functionality could be part of how the order works:
  • If tanker is not at harvester fleet, move to harvester fleet.
  • Tanker refuels from harvesters, sequentially.
  • If tanker is not full, wait a construction cycle and return to step 1.
  • Equalize the harvester fleet's fuel.
  • (Order complete, proceed with next order.)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1706 on: April 29, 2021, 07:25:46 AM »
Eh... in Aurora VB, there was a button to equalize the fleet's fuel.  It seems to be gone from Aurora C#, but that functionality could be part of how the order works:
  • If tanker is not at harvester fleet, move to harvester fleet.
  • Tanker refuels from harvesters, sequentially.
  • If tanker is not full, wait a construction cycle and return to step 1.
  • Equalize the harvester fleet's fuel.
  • (Order complete, proceed with next order.)
The equalize fuel button went away because fuel transfer rules changed massively. What you suggest is of course possible except for the equalizing part. The problem comes from how to make sure that the single tanker refuels equal amounts from each harvester. Because currently the code does not support that as far as I know. It's not just changing one toggle; it would need Steve to rewrite the fuel-refuel code which impacts everything else. That's what I meant when I said that it isn't as easy as we make it sound - apologies if it wasn't clear.

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1707 on: April 30, 2021, 06:09:23 AM »
Multi-shot missile launchers...because they`re cool. That and I guess maybe they`d help full-size launchers overcome enemy PD?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1708 on: April 30, 2021, 09:31:11 AM »
Multi-shot missile launchers...because they`re cool. That and I guess maybe they`d help full-size launchers overcome enemy PD?

This is kind of possible with 2-stage MIRVs. Empty 1st stage and just set the separation range to the attack range and the missile will split into multiple missiles 5s after launch.

The following users thanked this post: Warer, skoormit

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1709 on: April 30, 2021, 03:16:39 PM »

This is kind of possible with 2-stage MIRVs. Empty 1st stage and just set the separation range to the attack range and the missile will split into multiple missiles 5s after launch.
True but I mean a true MSML, ie a launcher that fires off multiple shots per 5 seconds. Some super tech used possibly by invaders of precursors, or discoverable from ruins. Is it possible to make a random chance per completely empty system to generate an lets call it "Ancient Wreck" that has the tech and other advanced ones?