Author Topic: I had a ponder: Naming your empire and you.  (Read 6137 times)

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: I had a ponder: Naming your empire and you.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 01:15:01 AM »
I name basically everything and everyone on a warhammer 40k theme, because I am addicted to warhammer 40k "literature."

BLOOD FOR THE BLO.... er... ahem. 

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 06:43:18 AM »
...I would kill for a system like that...seriously...my games for some reason (on the default settings) ALWAYS seem to tend towards 4-6 JP's a system...none of them dead ends...most of them leading to systems with yet again 4-6 JP's and no dead ends...I see some of the maps of other's games and it usually makes me sad that I can't do things like that due to insane amounts of jump points...

My last few have been one extreme and another.  Current game starting system has two JP.  One leads to three additional systems in a cul-de-sac and the other JP leads to a bodiless system with 8 JPs in it.  I've scanned 10 or so systems and uncovered over 50 JPs.  I thought about naming the systems after the old HS Cheer squad.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 07:20:23 AM »
Bugger it, just name them all Bob...all of them...the academy graduates, the ships, the sectors, the planets...everything...Bob.
Bob. Come here. Right Bob, I want you to go to the planet Bob. The one in the Bob system. Y'know, in the Bob sector. You'll find it. Anyway, I need you to go there and tell Bob that he is being relieved of his administrative duties because he is urgently required on the planet Bob, Bob system, Bob sector. Tell him he must leave Bob and return to Bob immediately. He is to command the new flagship, called Bob. He will be commanding a task force consisting of the frigates, Bob, Bob, Bob and Bob, the Cruisers Bob and Bob, and of course his ship, the new capital ship, Bob. If he does not arrive at Bob within one week, command of the Bob will instead be given to Bob.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 09:01:05 AM »
@Xeryon - You can manipulate that with the 'galaxy size' setting.  Also, if you want a 'gateway' system, you can go into SM mode and manipulate the jump points (or delete systems entirely) until you get a result you desire.   Be wary, as always, of NPRs discovering JPs into your existing systems.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 09:28:31 AM »
I'm going to be waiting for 5.7 to start any new games, but prehaps I will go for a Railgun/Index theme (it's an anime). Would probably end up having a missile or beam armed ship called the Railgun class, which might end up being confusing in the heat of battle.

Edit: Thinking about it more, with ship names like ACSS Railgun and ACSS Judgelight among others, I'm starting to like the idea. The Accelerator and Dedicatus classes maybe...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:39:43 AM by Person012345 »

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »
@Xeryon - You can manipulate that with the 'galaxy size' setting.  Also, if you want a 'gateway' system, you can go into SM mode and manipulate the jump points (or delete systems entirely) until you get a result you desire.   Be wary, as always, of NPRs discovering JPs into your existing systems.

I know I can adjust the settings for this.  My comment was in reference to my amusement at the variety that was randomly generated initially.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »
I name basically everything and everyone on a warhammer 40k theme, because I am addicted to warhammer 40k "literature."

BLOOD FOR THE BLO.... er... ahem. 

When I finally get around for my test campaign for v5.70, I suspect there may be a flavour of 40k involved :). I forgot to mention it but v5.70 includes a new Warhammer 40k commander name theme. Below is a quick example of some names it generated. I've also added two new ship naming themes, one for WH40K Empire and one for WH40K Chaos, with over a hundred names in each one.

Steve

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »
5.7 can't come soon enough.

Offline madpraxis (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • m
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 02:56:53 AM »
Well, bloody hell stevey-o...thats just plain out awesome. Though it does make me feel kind of old to remember the days when nobody other then some serious tabletop gaming nerds had any idea what warhammer was, let alone 40k...And I agree, 5.7 will be nice :D

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 10:43:29 AM »
Well, bloody hell stevey-o...thats just plain out awesome. Though it does make me feel kind of old to remember the days when nobody other then some serious tabletop gaming nerds had any idea what warhammer was, let alone 40k...And I agree, 5.7 will be nice :D

Ah yes the good old days of desperately trying to butter up the one guy in school who was a) Actually any good with a paintbrush and b) had a real interest in 40k to paint up my own sad little collection.

Can't wait for 5.7 either! Will be very interesting to see what comes out of the bureau of ship design and AARs.

Offline OAM47

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »
I tend to use a mix of leaving it as the real stars name, or concepts such as "Victory", "Triumph", "New Beginning", etc.  Sometimes I name stuff after famous commanders, etc.  For instance, in my current game, my first colony is named after the scientist that finished the jump drive project, and my "Hero Class" ships are named after commanders that died in the line of duty.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 12:17:03 PM »
When I finally get around for my test campaign for v5.70, I suspect there may be a flavour of 40k involved :). I forgot to mention it but v5.70 includes a new Warhammer 40k commander name theme. Below is a quick example of some names it generated. I've also added two new ship naming themes, one for WH40K Empire and one for WH40K Chaos, with over a hundred names in each one.

Steve

That's great Steve, but I may get a bit concerned if any of my commanders are named Horus Lupercal :)
Welchbloke

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »
That's great Steve, but I may get a bit concerned if any of my commanders are named Horus Lupercal :)

Well it's possible in this theme, so good luck with that :)

Steve

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 09:02:10 AM »
I too have a WH40K flavouring although the full imperium list I use is filled out with Manticore, Nelsons navy and so on, its been in use for every 4x I've played over the years.

If your adding a 40k flavour I will attach an an excel sheet (saved as csv so you'll need to adjust the columns) with the design names I import every iteration, which aren't all canon, but do have the flavour (has Imperium, Traitor, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necron, Tyranid, Tau and Ork). I say "design names" as I make a design and call the first ship of that class to be built that name. Maybe you can glean some stuff from it to flesh out the theme. :)

The ranks are taken from the Lexicanum so are pretty acurate.

Ground troops get named depending on type as well, Marines become Legion I, Legion II etc and are generally three Battalions consisting three Marine units (1st Company, 2nd Company etc) and an assault unit named a "Tactical Dreadnaught Support", the fourth battalion are heavy Heavy Assault Battalions named Heavy Support Squadrons, Ive included that on the csv too. I did go through a phase of naming the Heavy Assault Battalions as Titans, and assault Battalions as Scout Titans but that can turn out to be a lot of Titans in a long game. Garrison troops become Arbitrators under a Brigade Headquarters renamed Adeptus Arbites Provost. Imperial guard are left as is, usually just prefixing their name with the Division (Like 1st Terran, 7th Armd etc).

EDIT: Updated the Imperium.csv as I'd copied over the design/shipnames from the wrong place
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:40:46 AM by jRides »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 06:41:49 AM »
Hum.  I wonder what the tonnage of those Battlefleet Gothic ships was. Probably something ridiculous.

*edit* Some browsing of the WH40k Lexicanum puts the Lunar class at 28 Megatonnes with a crew of 95,000. Heh.  I think the official stats somewhat overball it, given how ships are portrayed in the rest of the fiction. I mean, they're supposed to be huge, and carry whole divisions of troops, and so on. But you'd need an entire chapter of space marines, minimum, to conduct a boarding action on a ship that size.    A Strike Cruiser is only supposed to base about a company (?) of space marines. et. al.