Author Topic: Finding new Solar Systems  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Abraxis (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • A
Finding new Solar Systems
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:56:36 AM »
First of all, I want to thank Steve for making this brilliant game, and offering it to us for free!  :shock:) hours now, and I've managed to survey all the bodies in Sol, and setup some orbital mining operations to supply what I've exhausted from Earth.  I have yet to locate any jump points though, and I'm not sure how to go about exploring outside the solar system.  Is there specific engine tech I need to allow an 'Explore Universe' type mission?  Or some special sensors for locating Jump points?

Also, around 2049 a comet came barreling past earth right into the sun, then shot back off in the exact direction it came from.... what's with that?  Shouldn't it have burned up or something?

Also, I have done no weapons research what-so-ever, should I make that a priority if I am to leave the system?  I'd rather not know why if the answer is yes, but some clue as to the odds of my getting slapped around by intergalactic trout would be appreciated.

Once again, thanks a lot for the awesome game!  It's such a nice change from the shallow drivel turned out as an excuse to show off the latest graphical engine we get nowadays.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Finding new Solar Systems
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
You need to do a grav survey of your home system first.

Offline Abraxis (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • A
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:11:28 AM »
okay, sorry about seemingly asking the same question as that other guy, posted this several hours ago but it just got through now.

I had tried the grav survey, but my ships (on auto) said there was nothing to survey within a bunch of billions of kilometers.  I'll try directing them manually.

Another problem I'm having.  My Cargo ships explode.... all the time, I added 14 engineering spaces, but no luck!

can you see anything wrong with this design? (asside from the fact that it sucks.... I just need to know why it sucks so much it's suicidal.)

Grunt XL class Cargo Ship    27150 tons     217 Crew     347.4 BP      TCS 543  TH 25  EM 0
46 km/s     Armour 1-80     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 14     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 421%    IFR: 5.9%    Maint Capacity 1112 MSP    Max Repair 12 MSP    Est Time: 6.14 Years
Cargo 25000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 5    

Nuclear Thermal Engine E9 (1)    Power 25    Fuel Use 90%    Signature 25    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 3.7 billion km   (925 days at full power)

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:41:16 AM »
You're using military engines, and your speed is painfully, even excruciatingly slow.
Design a comercial engine, scrap all maintenance systems, and add engines until you have a speed of at least 900 kps.

The thing about engines is that military engines are designed to be space efficient while commercial engines are designed to be cost efficient, as a result, military engines require a lot of maintenance and ten times as much fuel as their far larger commercial cousins. Your range is fine though.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 10:44:24 AM »
Quote from: "Abraxis"
okay, sorry about seemingly asking the same question as that other guy, posted this several hours ago but it just got through now.

I had tried the grav survey, but my ships (on auto) said there was nothing to survey within a bunch of billions of kilometers.  I'll try directing them manually.

Another problem I'm having.  My Cargo ships explode.... all the time, I added 14 engineering spaces, but no luck!

can you see anything wrong with this design? (asside from the fact that it sucks.... I just need to know why it sucks so much it's suicidal.)

Grunt XL class Cargo Ship    27150 tons     217 Crew     347.4 BP      TCS 543  TH 25  EM 0
46 km/s     Armour 1-80     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 14     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 421%    IFR: 5.9%    Maint Capacity 1112 MSP    Max Repair 12 MSP    Est Time: 6.14 Years
Cargo 25000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 5    

Nuclear Thermal Engine E9 (1)    Power 25    Fuel Use 90%    Signature 25    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 3.7 billion km   (925 days at full power)

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

The problem with this design is that you used military engines, which made this a military design subject to maintenance requirements.  Whent he failures accumulate eventually the ship will fall-apart/explode.  

The important concept for you to know is that there are several different types of units.  The above is a military unit, as can be noticed from the last line of the design.  The other type that you need to know about is Commercial Ships.  To qualify as a civilian or commercial ship, your ship cannot have weapons or sensors larger than one space, and must have civilian engines.  To design a civilian engine, go to the design screen and select "Engines".  One of the drop down boxes will read "Military".  Change this to "Civilian" (or commercial, I forget).  This will create an engine that is larger than military engines, but more reliable.  Replace the military drive on your design with the civilian drive you've designed, and you will have a ship that can stay in space essentially forever without suffering maintenance failures.  

Oh, and by the way, 46 kps is a bit slow, even for playing around in the solar system.  I'd bump the speed up some by adding more engines.  

Kurt

Offline Caplin

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 11:01:01 AM »
Quote from: "Abraxis"

This may qualify as an obvious question, but what sorts of ships were you using to survey the jump points?  Which order were you giving them?
You need ships equipped with gravitational survey sensors and to give them the "survey next survey location" order.
It is highly unlikely you've surveyed every location without finding anything.
The distinction between geological survey sensors for body surveys and gravitational sensors for jump point surveys is important.
Did you research them as a technology?
(You need jump point theory as a prerequisite first.)
Hope this helps,
Zack.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 11:08:06 AM »
You will need to do a grav survey like Erik says.  You need to reasearch the "Jump Point Theory" tech under the power and propulsion list.  This is the precursor that unlocks all of the travel to other systems tech.  Then reasearch the Gravitational sensors (under Sensors obviously).  Once you have them installed on a few ships send them out to survey the system for the jump points.  The easiest way is to use the default orders of survey the next 3 survey locations.  This way your survey ships split up and survey the system without you needing to micromanage them.

To actually go to another system you will need to develop the Jump Engine.  This has three techs that are required.  The first tech is the percentage of you ship that will be the jump engine.  I recommend getting up to at least the 4 level as that will only use up 20% of your hull spaces on the jump engine.  The other two are more situational about what you will want.  They are the number of ships you can take through with you, and how far from the jump point you appear on the other side.  To start exploring you only need the first level of tech in each field.  All of the jump engine techs are under the "Power and Propulsion" menu.

Once you start exploring the galaxy you will want armed ships. Pick a couple of types of tech that interest you and get a couple of levels reasearched in each.  Then see what happens.  I would actually recommend saving your database before leaving the system.  That way if what you run into is to strong, you can go back and do a little more reasearch.  You will want some form of missile defense.  I would pick one energy weapon that can be turreted (meson, laser, gauss cannon).  Get your capacitor tech up to at last a 3 if not a 4 so you can have a fast firing point defense.  You can either push that weapon, or pick another as your principal anti-ship weapon.  Pick what appeals to you and try it out.

Good Luck
Brian

Offline Abraxis (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • A
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 01:42:42 PM »
Alright, thanks guys, I got it all sorted out now, this game is way better when your ships don't explode every couple days!  And I finally got out of my system too.

Now to find an undeveloped alien race to subvert...  :twisted:

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 01:47:26 PM »
All new people are subject to their first five posts being moderated, to avoid spam.

If you check this post viewtopic.php?f=19&t=878 there are some pointers to setting up automated survey orders. You should also check in the Tutorial subforum. Note, both of those are a bit out of date as to which version they are referring to.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 03:04:05 PM »
Yeah:)
Welcome onboard mate.

Arm urself with..a BIG can of patient.
testing,testing,re-testing,multi-testing.
1 Campaign,another..another..and another.

AND..when u fought ur first battle..u find..urself absolutely not advice,not prepare and with a thousands of "nevermind" onboard ur ships.

Eg:
"oh my..and WHERE the HELL are my damned MISSILES onboard??..oh..left to Earth..err.."
"But!!! whynot am show a damned enemy who shoot at me?..oh..not Sensor capacity for those Enemy Class Tonnage (hull).."
"But..am sure,we have LOAD the Launchers!!! but u dont have any Magazines..."
"Errr..why my speed are 1km/s????" no drive:D..
"Ive a mighty Fleet at right JumpPoint..and no Jump out.." missing JumpDrive for whole Squadroon capacity..or missing a BIG JumpDrive at all..
"AM LOST!"

Me same:D

"ive found a Precursors's FAC ships 800-tons class..10.000 km/s speed--and my Fighter WONT shoot my damned ordnance!! yeah..ive a right Missiles onboard..BUT..missed a RIGHT Missil Fire Control for those Enemy's Class..so my Fighter no shoot at all..drive around same as a dummy beginners..."
And this happens from 2 years normally:)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »
Quote from: "waresky"
Yeah:)
Welcome onboard mate.

[spoiler:d5g0b0dr]Arm urself with..a BIG can of patient.
testing,testing,re-testing,multi-testing.
1 Campaign,another..another..and another.

AND..when u fought ur first battle..u find..urself absolutely not advice,not prepare and with a thousands of "nevermind" onboard ur ships.

Eg:
"oh my..and WHERE the HELL are my damned MISSILES onboard??..oh..left to Earth..err.."
"But!!! whynot am show a damned enemy who shoot at me?..oh..not Sensor capacity for those Enemy Class Tonnage (hull).."
"But..am sure,we have LOAD the Launchers!!! but u dont have any Magazines..."
"Errr..why my speed are 1km/s????" no drive:D..
"Ive a mighty Fleet at right JumpPoint..and no Jump out.." missing JumpDrive for whole Squadroon capacity..or missing a BIG JumpDrive at all..
"AM LOST!"

Me same:D

"ive found a Precursors's FAC ships 800-tons class..10.000 km/s speed--and my Fighter WONT shoot my damned ordnance!! yeah..ive a right Missiles onboard..BUT..missed a RIGHT Missil Fire Control for those Enemy's Class..so my Fighter no shoot at all..drive around same as a dummy beginners..."
And this happens from 2 years normally:)[/spoiler:d5g0b0dr]

Spoilers Waresky!  :P