Author Topic: Sol is lost  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Asahibiiru (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • A
Sol is lost
« on: September 20, 2013, 02:38:48 AM »
Hi,

I just discovered this game recently and after a few training starts, i decided to try my own TN-Start from scratch.
So spending some hours designing modules and ships and building the first scouts, a new solar system was discovered. . .  and all hell broke loose. . .
Over 30 alien contacts milling around the JP.  The first scout is obliterated by meson cannons, the second barely makes it back to earth. . .  The aliens follow.
My first two finished PDC launched over 400 Missiles in the following Minutes, the few dozen that made it through the enemy PD just made a nice little poof on the strenght 600 shields.
The 5 enemy carrier vessels of over 60. 000 tons and their 30  800t FAC quickly mesonblastered my remainig forces to death.
Game Over after 13 months into the game.

So my question is, is there any way to defend against these things with a 120. 000 points start?
I guess if i have waited with my exploration a few more years, i had more defense.  But still i barely dented the shield of just one carrier. . .

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
Re: Sol is lost
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 04:03:16 AM »
The scenario you described is very uncommon, you had just very, very, very bad luck. Actually I have played many games now and nothing like this happened to me.
But if you want to be sure this not happens again, disable the star swarm in the game options, you can activate them later if you are prepared enough.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Asahibiiru (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • A
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 05:43:37 AM »
Yeah, i thought so. . .  Just my luck again.
Maybe i can use my last Survey vessel to lure them back to their system.  Do you think they would come back by themselves?

On the other hand a new start would be less troublesome. . .  ;D

Offline Nibelung44

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »
what wait... you can activate or de-activate(?) some aliens dynamically during play? I can be interested in knowing how to do that...

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 01:39:56 PM »
Game Details screen, the very first screen you should see, whenever you fire Aurora up. Those checkboxes on the right are there for a reason, you know  :)

Be aware, however, that turning something off, will not make those aliens already in the game go away, just prevent the generation of new ones.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »
I think the reactivation of them isn't sticky though.  I do recall on previous game versions that if you don't have one enabled when you create the game and you later enable it that each time you load the game you need to make sure the check box is selected.  The system retains your default settings on reopening of your game.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »
Nope. just check the box and then click safe in the lower left corner (iirc.). It should stay that way the next time you start that game.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline randal7

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »
You might also consider backing up the database before going through new jump points in the early game. I usually do that to make sure there are no critters in the first ring of systems around Sol. But I am a dirty cheater.