Author Topic: Task Force Training in a binary system  (Read 1413 times)

Offline GhostOfGod (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • G
Task Force Training in a binary system
« on: February 19, 2016, 05:22:10 PM »
So while I'm not technically a new player, this is a scenario I haven't run into previously.

Started a new game in a medium to large binary star system, about 35 billion km between the two stars. Civilization was founded on a planet in the outer star with a colony on a planet orbiting the inner star for logistics. Naturally this made me have to up my fuel economy on ships a bit, more specifically for my military. As it is they can just squeak in to the colony with 5-9% of their fuel remaining, which is fine for me.

Now with that explained the problem: I've been training up a fleet of beam warships and they always want to fly back to the bloody capital. I've been integrating a slow tanker with them in order to allow them to train for longer periods due to the reduced speed of the TG slowing their fuel drain as well as the Tanker to give them a steady supply. At this point it's mostly a matter of sending them back for shore leave every 9 months.

So, I see that morale is decreasing, as expected, and go to send them back to my colony before their second round of training. Only I see that they've been "training" by making a B-line back to the capital at the decidedly sluggish 750m/s of that tanker. Que the detachment of the tanker, shore leave, and then joining of the training group with it's fuel source again.

My question is can I actually modify the Home for the TG/TF? I've experimented a bit with creating a secondary TF and trying to reassign it's home to the colony, but no dice. I can work around this by just having them train around the capital and fly off for active duty elsewhere, but I figured I'd ask.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
Re: Task Force Training in a binary system
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 07:41:41 PM »
So while I'm not technically a new player, this is a scenario I haven't run into previously.

Started a new game in a medium to large binary star system, about 35 billion km between the two stars. Civilization was founded on a planet in the outer star with a colony on a planet orbiting the inner star for logistics. Naturally this made me have to up my fuel economy on ships a bit, more specifically for my military. As it is they can just squeak in to the colony with 5-9% of their fuel remaining, which is fine for me.

Now with that explained the problem: I've been training up a fleet of beam warships and they always want to fly back to the bloody capital. I've been integrating a slow tanker with them in order to allow them to train for longer periods due to the reduced speed of the TG slowing their fuel drain as well as the Tanker to give them a steady supply. At this point it's mostly a matter of sending them back for shore leave every 9 months.

So, I see that morale is decreasing, as expected, and go to send them back to my colony before their second round of training. Only I see that they've been "training" by making a B-line back to the capital at the decidedly sluggish 750m/s of that tanker. Que the detachment of the tanker, shore leave, and then joining of the training group with it's fuel source again.

My question is can I actually modify the Home for the TG/TF? I've experimented a bit with creating a secondary TF and trying to reassign it's home to the colony, but no dice. I can work around this by just having them train around the capital and fly off for active duty elsewhere, but I figured I'd ask.
The best workaround i can come up for this now is to either establish a task force in another system and train there, or make large "Hangar" PDCs on the system you want your ships to sit in, with many spare quarters and a maintenance bay. Not sure if a recreational module is necessary to keep morale up, probably wouldn't hurt to have it on the removed location you want them to be, but the PDC will maintain those ships for free, which is pretty cool.

The following users thanked this post: PaxMondo

Offline GhostOfGod (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 10:50:11 PM »
The best workaround i can come up for this now is to either establish a task force in another system and train there, or make large "Hangar" PDCs on the system you want your ships to sit in, with many spare quarters and a maintenance bay. Not sure if a recreational module is necessary to keep morale up, probably wouldn't hurt to have it on the removed location you want them to be, but the PDC will maintain those ships for free, which is pretty cool.

The binary system is my home system actually, but your workaround is still a good plan. Given that my freighters will have to travel ~40 billion km to a newly founded colony in another system the PDCs may take a year or two to get up and running. For the secondary task force I do have another question though. I tried just making a second one and setting one of my colonies as it's home, but it seemed to be stuck on my capital. Are there requirements for setting a Task Force to a different colony?

Edit: I should explain, I've been messing with this entirely through the Task Force screen and the Move to Population button.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:03:42 PM by GhostOfGod »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 12:23:58 AM »
I've had mixed results with the move to population button. Sometimes it works great, sometimes not at all.  Flag Bridges are much more reliable.

The following users thanked this post: GhostOfGod