Author Topic: Calculations for Class Designs?  (Read 2637 times)

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Calculations for Class Designs?
« on: February 22, 2016, 02:07:13 PM »
Hi folks,

is there anywhere any chart how the values in the class design screen are calculated? I tried to figure them out but they go over my head.

For example: If I start with an empty ship (0.2 conventional armor and 1 fighter crew quarter) the total wheight of the ship is 12t, 1 Crewmember, 3 spare barth. So far so good. Now, if I add lets say a bridge which, according to the list adds 50t of wheight (or 1 HS) and has a demand of 5 Crew, the wheight goes up to 92t (due to armor increase to 0.9) but the Crew count is still 1 and three spare barth. Am I misinterpreting the "demand list" for the bridge?!?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Calculations for Class Designs?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 03:06:43 PM »
Designs under 500 tons class themselves as fighters so will have reduced crew requirements.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline 0111narwhalz

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 08:32:43 PM »
You know, I wonder if there's an app to do these calculations. Perhaps it'd integrate the Tech Designer as well? Would the distribution of such an app require any licensing/legal nonsense? If such an app (or website) does exist, please point me to it, even if it's just a spreadsheet.
Profile courtesy of Nicolas Niño, AKA Nnniiino.

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 10:36:21 AM »
Designs under 500 tons class themselves as fighters so will have reduced crew requirements.
Oh, crew calculations for fighters (and FACs also, I presume) are different. Didn't know that... .

You know, I wonder if there's an app to do these calculations. Perhaps it'd integrate the Tech Designer as well? Would the distribution of such an app require any licensing/legal nonsense? If such an app (or website) does exist, please point me to it, even if it's just a spreadsheet.
I was trying to create an Excel sheet for helping in ship designing; that is why I recognized these "odd" numbers... . But if such a thing already exists... or maybe Steve could very easily create it out of the aurora code itself... ;-)

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 10:04:49 PM »
As far as I am aware, fighters are mainly distinguished by their maintenance\construction rules, other than that you can use the special fighter beam control or the crew quarter - fighter, but neither of those should have any effect on the formulas.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 01:43:40 AM »
For example: If I start with an empty ship (0.2 conventional armor and 1 fighter crew quarter) the total wheight of the ship is 12t, 1 Crewmember, 3 spare barth. So far so good. Now, if I add lets say a bridge which, according to the list adds 50t of wheight (or 1 HS) and has a demand of 5 Crew, the wheight goes up to 92t (due to armor increase to 0.9) but the Crew count is still 1 and three spare barth. Am I misinterpreting the "demand list" for the bridge?!?
Ok I have a little time on my hand.

1. I don't think that you can create a crew less class, even if you create silly design with total of 0 crew requirement it still say 1.
2. what is your Deployment Time and what type of Armor you have?

Deployment Time time effect how much "life support" you'll need per crew member. The formula is:
HS allocated to Crew =  [Crew Breth * CubeRoot(Deployment Time) / 50 ] Rounded up to nearest multiplier of 0.2 (size of tiny quarter)

Which should be equal to Accom_HS_avail. Note, there are couple of special cases for any ship with Deployment time of less than 0.5 or 0.1 month. This is covered in detail in the 6.0 version changelog.

As for armor, its:
Armor_HS = Armor_Surface_Area / 4 / Armor_Tech_ratio // do per layer.
When Armor_Surface_Area is calculated from total ship component size converted volume to surface.

EDIT:
On an unlrelated note, can someone please post a screenshot of Class Design window, from v7.1  in full height.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:51:56 AM by Mor »

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 02:13:08 AM »
On an unlrelated note, can someone please post a screenshot of Class Design window, from v7.1  in full height.
Off-Topic: show

The following users thanked this post: Mor

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 06:06:31 AM »
Ok I have a little time on my hand.

1. I don't think that you can create a crew less class, even if you create silly design with total of 0 crew requirement it still say 1.
2. what is your Deployment Time and what type of Armor you have?

Deployment Time time effect how much "life support" you'll need per crew member. The formula is:
HS allocated to Crew =  [Crew Breth * CubeRoot(Deployment Time) / 50 ] Rounded up to nearest multiplier of 0.2 (size of tiny quarter)

Which should be equal to Accom_HS_avail. Note, there are couple of special cases for any ship with Deployment time of less than 0.5 or 0.1 month. This is covered in detail in the 6.0 version changelog.
Thanks for the formula. I just started with the basic modules to try to figure out the calculations; didn't want to create a crewless ship.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 11:39:09 AM »
You might also want to check the Class Design page. No specific formulas here, but it might be useful.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 04:39:44 AM »
Now to sensors... . You have to design different active sensors for different target sizes. So far so "easy". What I cannot find a reason for is the limitation of small sensor resolutions to not be able to see  larger ships. Don't get me wrong, it is ok as it is, but I can't find out how the internal calculations are made.

Example: An active sensor for 100 HS has a detection range of 10 mkm. If a ship of size 80 HS would fly around I would be able to see it at only 6.4 mkm. Or a ship of size 120 HS I would be able to see at 14.4 mkm.
But an active sensor for 1 HS with a range of 1 mkm would, according to the upper formula, be able to detect a 50 HS ship at 2.500 mkm - which ingame it does not. So how does the game engine determines the upper range detection limit of an active sensor? Are there different formulas for different detection sizes? If so, where can I find them?

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 05:56:03 AM »
The largest range listed is the maximum range.

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 06:31:01 AM »
According to the calculations it would be possible to detect larger ships than your actual sensor size - but at a greater distance than your sensor size gives you. Or has that been changed and the calculations given in the forum are just old... ?!?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 06:48:41 AM »
I can't speak as to the formula you're looking at, but right now a sensor will never detect at greater than its nominal range.

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 07:10:20 AM »
Oh, I see. My fault. I misunderstood the diagrams and formulas. MaxRange really means only that: Max Range ;-) Larger Ships will not be detected at larger distances... .