Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 252704 times)

Offline Profugo Barbatus

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2018, 10:29:55 PM »
I know the feeling. Right now, the bug is biting me hard, really want to do a Halo Themed game, but it'd just feel wrong to not wait until the ground combat update.

Steve, I know we can't expect any dates, but would we be able to get an updated list of the major pieces you still need to stand up before your ready to go? Looks like AI still has some major pieces to build out, but what lies beyond that.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2018, 10:05:39 AM »
I know the feeling. Right now, the bug is biting me hard, really want to do a Halo Themed game, but it'd just feel wrong to not wait until the ground combat update.

Steve, I know we can't expect any dates, but would we be able to get an updated list of the major pieces you still need to stand up before your ready to go? Looks like AI still has some major pieces to build out, but what lies beyond that.

Off the top of my head, still a big chunk on AI, about 20% of movement orders, including resupply, checking potential missile impacts to shorten increments, fleet training, damage control, NPR combat setup, finish ground combat and add ground-orbit interaction, boarding combat, precursors, star swarm and invaders (plus some other ideas I have), tactical intelligence, many smaller windows, completing the game creation code and lots and lots of testing. Apart from AI it is probably 90% done. The main issue at the moment is finding the time, rather than the volume of work remaining.

The following users thanked this post: Spaceman Spiff

Offline arty

• Leading Rate
  • a
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »
hello :)

question can you start in a random system ? not in the sol system ?

thanks arty

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2018, 03:48:18 PM »
hello :)

question can you start in a random system ? not in the sol system ?

thanks arty

You can set that up in SM Mode.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2018, 12:58:08 AM »
90% done. But I'm excited for that "some ideas I have" which ominously was mentioned after the other spoilers.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2018, 01:55:53 AM »
Apart from AI it is probably 90% done.

Right, so only the other 90% left then!

For those uninitiated:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety-ninety_rule

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2018, 03:43:22 AM »

For those uninitiated:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety-ninety_rule

I've been involved in a lot of software development projects over the years and this is very true :)

Still, the real test will be the 'test game', which keeps getting put back so I can tackle something else. At some point I just need to start playing and fill in the gaps along the way :)

Offline Impassive

• Gold Supporter
  • Chief Petty Officer
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2018, 05:56:34 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096. msg108896#msg108896 date=1531471402
Quote from: alex_brunius link=topic=10096. msg108895#msg108895 date=1531464953
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096. msg108870#msg108870 date=1531321539

For those uninitiated:
https://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Ninety-ninety_rule

I've been involved in a lot of software development projects over the years and this is very true :)

Still, the real test will be the 'test game', which keeps getting put back so I can tackle something else.  At some point I just need to start playing and fill in the gaps along the way :)

At some point you just need to call a feature lock and as you said do the test game and bug fixing and then the other features can come in post :) Just like designing ships in Aurora it is easy to get scope creep

Offline Deutschbag

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: Pwnzerfaust
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2018, 11:17:46 PM »
Glad to read about these updates. My hype for this rewrite is beyond description.

Offline Spaceman Spiff

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2018, 12:13:18 AM »
I'm mostly a lurker, but also just wanted to add that I am so excited for this.  :) I've literally been getting into a habit of checking this forum every day.  Can't wait for release and to help test it out (or whatever the next steps, upon the first release, will be)!

Offline Canek

• Leading Rate
  • C
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2018, 12:31:46 AM »
I have been here for. . .  many years.  I am also eager to play the new C version.  Heck, I might even take vacation days from work when that happens!

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2018, 05:51:47 AM »
Another small milestone last weekend. I have been creating games to test the AI code and monitoring each NPR as it plays through the first few days, including saving, closing and restarting the same game. In effect, these are 'test games', even though only the NPR is playing.

I will be running longer and longer NPR test games as I expand the AI code to cover more areas. So far, the AI will deploy combat fleets / patrol squadrons to key systems and populations, deploy jump point defence forces based on system value and recent hostile activity (the NPR remembers where and when your ships have been detected in the past), send scouts or patrol squadrons to investigate points of interest, decide where to stablise jump points and deploy construction ships, deploy terraformers based on which planets are easiest to terraform, deploy grav and geo survey ships based on system value and set up contracts to send appropriate installations to different colonies.

Each NPR operational group (fleet) is assigned a function, such as combat, patrol, survey, salvage, terraform, etc., Each ship estimates its own mission capability status, based on the mission of its parent fleet, taking into account damage to weapons, fire controls, engines, key components for the mission (salvage module, survey sensor, etc.), fuel remaining, ammunition, etc. Each fleet then determines its status based on a combination of the statuses of its constituent ships. This in turn influences the empire and system AIs when they decide on which fleets to deploy. As part of the 'mission status', there are sub-statuses for fuel, damage, ammunition, etc. at the fleet level. NPR fleets that are low on fuel will move to colonies with refuelling capability, taking into account the fuel required, the population stockpile and other fleets en route.

Once the NPR 'test games' seem to be working well, I will start a player race and begin campaign reports.

Offline Kof

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2018, 04:58:39 PM »
Delighted to see the amazing progress that you're making - CANNOT WAIT.

Didn't know you're a motorhead! I live in Douglas :-) Nice weather for the TT this year, unlike last.

Keep up the good work! Did I mention "CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS!!"

Thanks a million.

The following users thanked this post: Zed 6, SimonS3

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2018, 05:59:15 PM »
Honestly, the AI update is the #1 thing that I will praise in new Aurora. As before I felt sometimes that the game was made to play with yourself, using SM and different races. Now it will give the real feel of playing versus other empires and not some staged "empires" just to bother you.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2018, 07:13:00 PM »
Another small milestone last weekend. I have been creating games to test the AI code and monitoring each NPR as it plays through the first few days, including saving, closing and restarting the same game. In effect, these are 'test games', even though only the NPR is playing.

I will be running longer and longer NPR test games as I expand the AI code to cover more areas. So far, the AI will deploy combat fleets / patrol squadrons to key systems and populations, deploy jump point defence forces based on system value and recent hostile activity (the NPR remembers where and when your ships have been detected in the past), send scouts or patrol squadrons to investigate points of interest, decide where to stablise jump points and deploy construction ships, deploy terraformers based on which planets are easiest to terraform, deploy grav and geo survey ships based on system value and set up contracts to send appropriate installations to different colonies.

Each NPR operational group (fleet) is assigned a function, such as combat, patrol, survey, salvage, terraform, etc., Each ship estimates its own mission capability status, based on the mission of its parent fleet, taking into account damage to weapons, fire controls, engines, key components for the mission (salvage module, survey sensor, etc.), fuel remaining, ammunition, etc. Each fleet then determines its status based on a combination of the statuses of its constituent ships. This in turn influences the empire and system AIs when they decide on which fleets to deploy. As part of the 'mission status', there are sub-statuses for fuel, damage, ammunition, etc. at the fleet level. NPR fleets that are low on fuel will move to colonies with refuelling capability, taking into account the fuel required, the population stockpile and other fleets en route.

Once the NPR 'test games' seem to be working well, I will start a player race and begin campaign reports.

This mean NPR's will be using fuel in C# Aurora then?