Author Topic: Salvage question  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Lightning (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
Salvage question
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:34:38 PM »
So, I've got a salvage ship designed with 1 module in it. I figured having a fleet of em would salvage a wreck faster, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Is it 1 salvage ship per wreck?

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
Re: Salvage question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:49:27 AM »
I believe so.  A fleet will salvage multiple wrecks, but each wreck can only be salvaged by one ship.
Even then, the timescales of salvage are such that I've never found it necessary to put more then one aboard.  Unless you run across something really big, it should be done in a month or two at most anyway.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:50:03 AM »
I agree with byron.  I generally build a pair and leave one in permanent orbit as a backup in case the primary meets an untimely demise.  I really find no need to even research salvaging techs either.

Online Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »
Note: You can put several modules on a single ship, which will speed up salvage operations quite a bit.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 05:57:34 PM »
Yeah... I know I can build ships with more than one module on them... In theory at least, my yards are not that big yet :(

Well... There went my plans for quick salvage ops in unsecured space... How do I get a fleet of salvage ships to salvage more than 1 ship at a time (other than the obvious 1 salvage ship per fleet)? And if you stop a salvage operation before a ship is completely salvaged, do you have to start over from scratch or does it partial salvage the wreck?

Offline madpraxis

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • m
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:28:40 PM »
....you just got told that you CAN NOT...the 'obvious' way that you seem to really really not want to do is: 1 ship per wreck.
Though I have to wonder what kind of situation you are in where you apparently very strongly feel the need to salvage a large amount of wrecks in a short amount of time...or more appropriatly salvage a (or some) wreck very VERY quickly
As it is, your options are
a)one ship per wreck and queueueueu (gods I love that word...queueueu) up multiple wrecks
b)one ship per wreck and wait till its done then go and assign it to the next one
I always picture the attempt involving men and machines, so the logic of more then one 'crew' getting in each others way and violating OSHA regulations made sense to me ;)
As to stopping an operation, you know what? your question pisses me off....not because of you, because of me. I'm annoyed at myself. For in the last game I played many months ago, I interrupted a salvage operation due to eating a missile or 50. And for the life of me I CAN NOT REMEMBER the answer. If I get around to it today I have some wrecks I need to salvage in my current game, so I'll check here and see if anybody answers before I try interrupting halfway through :D
And as a side note (or two), if you put cargo holds on your salvager, remember to check it obsolete so the civvies don't start building it. Also...er..I totally forgot what else I was going to say. Like, *poof* gone...Oh well, good luck :D
ps. Any antagonist vibes you get from this I totally blame on having to talk to my ex today and suffer through her evilshipness's..er..evil..

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 11:44:44 PM »
I'm willing to bet that you don't get to restart where you left off.  I haven't checked, but Aurora in general works that way.
As for marking the design obsolete, you don't have to do so.  Civilians won't build salvagers.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 07:54:39 AM »
According to a recent Steve post they used to do that but he added exclusions to keep it from happening a few versions ago.  If a ship has a salvage module it will not build it at this time.

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 09:54:57 AM »
....you just got told that you CAN NOT...the 'obvious' way that you seem to really really not want to do is: 1 ship per wreck.

I was hopeing that Byron's comment about a fleet being able to salvage more than one wreck was 'at the same time' from a micromanagement standpoint, instead of 1 fleet, 1 wreck at a time which would mean its pointless to have more than 1 salvage ship per fleet...

Though I have to wonder what kind of situation you are in where you apparently very strongly feel the need to salvage a large amount of wrecks in a short amount of time...or more appropriatly salvage a (or some) wreck very VERY quickly
As it is, your options are
a)one ship per wreck and queueueueu (gods I love that word...queueueu) up multiple wrecks
b)one ship per wreck and wait till its done then go and assign it to the next one

Well.. As I said, it was unsecured space... though hostile may be the more appropriate word... I've been dukeing it out with a NPR in their home system (well appears to be home system)... The JP is close enough to the planet they can detect my transit from the planet... They stopped the close in defense of the JP as I kept blowing their ships to dust bunnies... So, I can get uncontested entrance to their system for 3-5 days before their main fleet arrives, depending on where their planet is in its orbit... I've made some inferences about some of the enemy ship classes & the roles they play, but I was trying to zerg salvage a ship or two of the classes in question to try and more accurately identify which class is launching the 15 size 5 vs the 8 size 7 missles, etc... Might be helpful when desiding which to target... So its basically about gaining hard intel in a short time as that is all the time I have per attempt...

I always picture the attempt involving men and machines, so the logic of more then one 'crew' getting in each others way and violating OSHA regulations made sense to me ;)

I picture cutting lasers and tractore beams remotely... Same as I picture asteroid miners...

As to stopping an operation, you know what? your question pisses me off....not because of you, because of me. I'm annoyed at myself. For in the last game I played many months ago, I interrupted a salvage operation due to eating a missile or 50. And for the life of me I CAN NOT REMEMBER the answer. If I get around to it today I have some wrecks I need to salvage in my current game, so I'll check here and see if anybody answers before I try interrupting halfway through :D
And as a side note (or two), if you put cargo holds on your salvager, remember to check it obsolete so the civvies don't start building it. Also...er..I totally forgot what else I was going to say. Like, *poof* gone...Oh well, good luck :D
ps. Any antagonist vibes you get from this I totally blame on having to talk to my ex today and suffer through her evilshipness's..er..evil..

I expect it is all or none as well... but if I can partial salvage and resume, I may still be able to get the intel I'm after, it will just be over the course of several incusions into their system instead of 1...

Offline ussugu

• Petty Officer
  • u
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »
Quote from: madpraxis

Thank you for the P.S. Disclaimer.  When I started reading the post, I was like, "Whoa, this thing has pissed-mist all over it."  I'm glad that you clarified it.  I always feel free to ask "dumb" questions in this forum without having to fear a flame attack.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:55:33 AM »
I was hopeing that Byron's comment about a fleet being able to salvage more than one wreck was 'at the same time' from a micromanagement standpoint, instead of 1 fleet, 1 wreck at a time which would mean its pointless to have more than 1 salvage ship per fleet...
Absolutely correct.

Well.. As I said, it was unsecured space... though hostile may be the more appropriate word... I've been dukeing it out with a NPR in their home system (well appears to be home system)... The JP is close enough to the planet they can detect my transit from the planet... They stopped the close in defense of the JP as I kept blowing their ships to dust bunnies... So, I can get uncontested entrance to their system for 3-5 days before their main fleet arrives, depending on where their planet is in its orbit... I've made some inferences about some of the enemy ship classes & the roles they play, but I was trying to zerg salvage a ship or two of the classes in question to try and more accurately identify which class is launching the 15 size 5 vs the 8 size 7 missles, etc... Might be helpful when desiding which to target... So its basically about gaining hard intel in a short time as that is all the time I have per attempt...
Actually, you really don't get that data from salvage, bizarre though that sounds.  (And it's something that I'd like fixed.)
The best way to do it is to pay attention to what your enemies have available, particularly if you can watch their launches.  If a fleet fires 7 salvoes of a given type, the launching class must be one that has 7 units in the fleet.  Make notes and refine your data.

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »
Actually, you really don't get that data from salvage, bizarre though that sounds.  (And it's something that I'd like fixed.)
The best way to do it is to pay attention to what your enemies have available, particularly if you can watch their launches.  If a fleet fires 7 salvoes of a given type, the launching class must be one that has 7 units in the fleet.  Make notes and refine your data.

Since there is a difference in the launcher, if I can salvage an intact launcher, I can confirm the class speculation... as for the 7 of a class vs 7 salvoes of the same type... well.. that only works if there is only 1 class that has 7 units in the fleet... that is what I was tryin to refine... :p

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 12:47:57 PM »
Since there is a difference in the launcher, if I can salvage an intact launcher, I can confirm the class speculation... as for the 7 of a class vs 7 salvoes of the same type... well.. that only works if there is only 1 class that has 7 units in the fleet... that is what I was tryin to refine... :p

Good point.  What I meant was that said data wasn't added to the class description.
As for the 7 of the same type, I'm aware of that.  That's why you take notes.  It's not perfect, but it can help.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 03:28:48 AM »
Would it be possible to add salvaging of fuel from wrecks esp if the fuel tanks are in tact, could add another element to salvage getting some fuel o nthe fly