Author Topic: Adding Colonists to PDC's  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Resident Evil (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
Adding Colonists to PDC's
« on: March 18, 2019, 09:59:11 PM »
Hi.

I was thinking about this earlier, that if your planet was under assault from space, it would be nice to be able to build shelters that people could take refuge in. The obvious way to do this would be building armored PDC's with lots of colonist cryogenic bays in it - for trying to keep some of your population alive.

As I understand it, it's impossible to do this atm, because you can't give any orders to PDC's. If I'm wrong in this, please correct me. But from a RP perspective, I think it would make sense to be able to build shelters for some people to take refuge in (obviously with a suitable ratio of 1 male to 10 females aka Dr Strangelove :) )

Cheers

ZG

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Adding Colonists to PDC's
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 12:07:55 AM »
In general this sounds like a really cool idea to me.  I'd personally suggest holding off until after the initial C# release but cryo bunkers that are very resistant to bombardment sounds really fun.  Especially if you wind up having people hiding in there for years or longer.  Ancient bombed out ruins with people hiding beneath.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 01:46:35 AM »
I've suggested this before. underground infrastructure should double as protective shelter for the population to survive bombardment or dust/radiation.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 08:47:01 AM »
While a good idea, I believe PDCs are being removed completely from Aurora C#.

• R
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 10:08:13 AM »

Oh.....

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 12:14:14 PM »

Oh.....

Yes, PDC are gone. I could still add an 'Air Raid Shelter' installation though if this concept was required. There is already an 'Underground Construction Factory' in the C# database, which is intended as a more expensive version of a construction factory that cannot be hit by orbital bombardment. I just haven't added the code yet. The idea is you would have to land ground forces to capture it. There is no reason not to expand that concept to ordnance factories, fighter factories, mines, etc. and in that case you would need a way to protect the population as well.

Probably not something for v1 but add it to the suggestion thread with a link to this topic and I will come back to it at some point (or remind me in a few months).

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

• R
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 01:48:44 PM »
Hey.

I only suggested the idea because, in principle, it seemed like something may/should/perhaps would happen in real life; vis-a-vis the cold war. Obviously the most humorous way to do it would be converting mine shafts to shelters (mine shaft gap anyone).

I've posted a link in this http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=9841.0 thread; I assume this is the thread you meant.

Cheers

Zg

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 02:25:17 PM »
That is the correct thread.

This is a pretty cool idea and I'm definitely voting for it. Maybe not for initial release but later in C# lifetime.

The following users thanked this post: Resident Evil

Target Drone

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 12:26:36 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10300. msg113235#msg113235 date=1553015654
Yes, PDC are gone.

That makes me sad, and I expect there were good reasons for it, but I hope to see them return some day; in terms of fluff and mechanics, PDCs were always a favourite staple in my games - from a conventional start launching their first survey probes from a Cape-class Rocketry Center to asteroid forts and hidden fleet bases with vast underground hangars( https://project-apollo. net/mos/mos215. html  :D ), I will miss them.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 11:57:39 AM »
Well, you can't add Cryo Berths to PDCs, however you CAN add Hangar Bays and dock ships in them that have Cryo Bays.

• R
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 12:07:39 PM »
lol

I guess that's one way of doing it :)  Like building an Arkship and then burying it under a mountain  ???

It would work, not quite what I had in mind though.

Cheers

ZG

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 12:50:42 PM »
I was thinking more of Homeworld-esq. "Cryo Tray" with no engines, 1 HS armor, a tiny fuel tank to keep it from being immobile (as ships without engines still have an "engine" for their 1 km/s speed which requires fuel)m, a fighter sized Engineering Bay (for RP purpouses, not really needed) and just a single Emergency Cryo Berth. The goal being a 250 tonner to stack four per Hangar Bay.

These are actual designs made using a fresh Trans-Newtonian Game, so these can be built from Turn One. Imagine the Dusk-Class as a well-protected storage area for these Cryo Trays, sort of an armoured facility designed to house, support and protect them:

Dawn-Class Cryo Tray:
--------------------------------

Code: [Select]
Dawn class Cryo Tray    247 tons     1 Crew     26.9 BP      TCS 4.94  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-3     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 7    AFR 4%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 0    5YR 0    Max Repair 5 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 1.5 months    Spare Berths 0   
Cryogenic Berths 800   

Fuel Capacity 5,000 Litres    Range N/A

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes

Background -
---------------

- The Dawn-Class Cryo Tray is a product of this post, and the Cryo Tray concept that I'm currently working on. The Cryo Tray concept was inspired by the second mission in the campaign of the original Homeworld, and is meant to be either loaded onto carriers or, in larger instances, tugged to their location for cheap transport of colonists. This particular design, however was made to work with the Dusk-Class Disaster Shelter PDC, found below; and features four Emergency Cryogenic Modules, a Fighter-Sized Engineering Space and makes use of the Tiny-Sized Fuel Storage Module, all of which can be bought with the Starting Tech Points of a basic TN start. The Dawn-Class only devotes the bare minimum to armouring, and carries one and half months worth of Life Support, meaning that eight Dawn-Class Cryo Trays (or two Hangars worth) double as stowage for a whole year's worth of emergency provisions.

Dusk-Class Disaster Shelter [PDC]:
---------------------------------------------

Code: [Select]
Dusk class Disaster Shelter    25,150 tons     74 Crew     684.5 BP      TCS 503  TH 0  EM 0
Armour 7-76     Sensors 1/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Flight Crew Berths 13   
Hangar Deck Capacity 2000 tons     Troop Capacity: 8 Battalions   

Strike Group
8x Dawn Cryo Tray   Speed: 1 km/s    Size: 4.94

This design is classed as a Planetary Defence Centre and can be pre-fabricated in 11 sections

Background -
---------------

- The Dusk-Class is a Planetary Defense Center dedicated to the purpose of serving as a Disaster Shelter for a portion of the population of a given colony. Each Dusk-Class sports a single PDC Barracks Module for the stowage of a Construction Brigade, as well as Three Small PDC Barrakcs Modules for the stowage of two Garrison Battalions and a single Replacement Battalion. The Dusk-Class houses eight Dawn-Class Cryo Trays in it's two Hangar Bays, giving it the ability to shelter up to 6,400 people from orbital bombardment. The Dusk-Class further carries a whole year's worth of Life Support, while the Cryo Trays add another years worth between them. Two Maintenance Storage Bays and 3 HS dedicated to armouring round out the capabilities of this PDC. To get some sense of scaling: Twenty of these PDCs on a planet with a population of roughly a quarter of a million people will provide shelter for up to half the denizens as well as the equivalent industrial capacity of twenty Construction Factories, all while providing it's own defense against enemy land forces.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 12:54:09 PM by xenoscepter »

• R
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 01:13:33 PM »
 :o

Ok, hadn't considered that as a concept, but it could work. I think you need to add a cargo hold to the Dusk's so they can store a single auto-mine to kick-start your civilization when they come out of hibernation; or to store some minerals so the construction brigade's have something to work with after the disaster. It's probably more efficient use of space to store minerals, to get things rolling quicker.

ZG

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 01:21:47 PM »
Yeah that would work. You can have the "fighters" load colonists in cryo, then land to the "mothership" PDC and be safe & secure. Not a bad idea for an emergency "backup & restart" plan for a RP-heavy story!