Author Topic: Having a PP scientist at start breaks the game  (Read 2940 times)

life is awesome!

Having a PP scientist at start breaks the game
« on: November 18, 2016, 10:04:27 PM »
Having a "Power & Propulsion" specialized scientist at the beginning of the game, especially if he happens to have a high administrative level and research bonus, allows you to quickly outclass all the other aliens in terms of engine technology and easily defeat them.  In another case, if you happen to get five scientists specialized at Logistics, there is no reason to keep playing, as every actually important research will take you few more years to complete and ruins all the fun after you had a game where you got decent scientists.  I haven't found a way to add new scientists using SM mode and if you play legitimately, even with 10 military academies it might take you years to finally receive a PP scientist. 
In short, PP scientists are incredibly rare, there's no way to get them reliably even if you use SM mode and they break your progress, making you overpowered.  Please apply balance.

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
Re: Having a PP scientist at start breaks the game
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 04:20:01 PM »
Well, for one, there is a way to add officers (which includes scientists), though you can't choose their specialization/profession. But if you just add like 100 officers, chances are you'll get some scientists and there will probably be a PP scientist.

That being said, I disagree with the premise that the things you mention are actually problems. Having a PP scientist doesn't instantly make you better than the other aliens--especially the spoilers. I've fought aliens with equivalent or better engine technology than me even after over a hundred years of researching stuff. Additionally, if you get put at a disadvantage with 5 L&GC scientists, that's just part of hte game, like not finding easily mineable minerals in every system. If there weren't challenges it wouldn't be fun, and dealing with the cards you're dealt is just part of the genre.

Iranon

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 05:18:44 PM »
If lacking good scientists, I heavily priorities military academies.
Yes it's a bit of a problem, but from my experience not usually a crippling one.

Offline ChildServices

• Hegemon
  • Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 07:39:37 PM »
Games don't need to be balanced.
Aurora4x Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/Q5ryqdW

Cold as steel the darkness waits, its hour will come
A cry of fear from our children, worshipping the Sun
Mother Nature's black revenge, on those who waste her life
War babies in the Garden Of Eden, she'll turn our ashes to ice

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 11:30:53 PM »
Eeh not really a problem. More that existing NPRs dont advance properly in tech to match you. Which I believe was an oversite in code that was pointed out a while ago and will be fixed in the next patch.

Though i might argue that tech levels as a whole could use a thinning of the gaps.

From 1 level to the next you get a sharp 50% or higher rise in capability of something. Thats way too steep and makes fleets merely 1 tech higher so ridiculiously op vs the previous generation.
Tech advancements should honestly be a bit more fradual.

But thats not really what Steve is working on atm.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 05:18:03 PM »
Id love if there was a better SM interface for managing leaders ( so you could edit their skill areas and bonuses effortlessly ).