Author Topic: Him Vs Her  (Read 4914 times)

Derek

Him Vs Her
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:23:19 AM »
Something I noticed.  When female officers and administrators are referred to in my games, they are always called he, him, etc.  I don't know how many ladies may be playing this game but surely this errks them.  It does me.  I think that is something small that should be fixed.

Otherwise, I really love this game and am very appreciative of its creator for putting it out. 

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Him Vs Her
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »
I hope we'll also get new pronouns for aliens, let's not misgender them too.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 11:03:47 AM »
When female officers and administrators are referred to in my games, they are always called he, him, etc.  I don't know how many ladies may be playing this game but surely this errks them.  It does me.  I think that is something small that should be fixed.
#TheTriggering. It is a noted bug and will be fixed for Aurora 7.2/8/C#
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 09:24:14 PM »
Hahaha, no but seriously some of us do play Alien races who don't have any gender. I'm not going to call for custom genders though, but maybe an option to add extra genders and appropiate pronouns might be handy to some people?
But how complex could this get, what if Ive got a complex hive caste system which physically only has 2 sexually active genders but technically other types of caste could be considered different genders.
I'm an Alpha soldier drone, don't misgender me you lousy beta worker!
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: superstrijder15

Offline ChildServices

• Hegemon
  • Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 07:17:25 AM »
The thing I really like about Planes is that we learn that WWII happened in the Cars universe. Which means there was a Cars Hitler, a Cars holocaust, a Cars Pacific War, a Cars D-Day, a Cars nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, a Cars Rape of Nanking, a Cars Battle of Iwo Jima...

This leads to so many important questions, like: were the Cars Little Boy and Fat Man nukes sentient? Was it a suicide mission? Are ALL Cars nuclear weapons sentient? Did Tsar Bomba have a personality?

What kind of car was Car Hitler? A VW? A forklift?

Was there a Cars 9/11? Were the planes hijacked, or were the planes themselves radicalized?
Aurora4x Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/Q5ryqdW

Cold as steel the darkness waits, its hour will come
A cry of fear from our children, worshipping the Sun
Mother Nature's black revenge, on those who waste her life
War babies in the Garden Of Eden, she'll turn our ashes to ice

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »
It would also be nice to have a toggle so you can elect to have only male names generated, perhaps by category so you can have an all-male military but have civilian leaders of either sex.  Sending female pilots into combat is also jarring from a roleplaying stance for those who don't envision a PC future!

Offline Detros

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 05:57:09 AM »
This is clearly caused by too low percentage of females in the dev team :P

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn

Offline obsidian_green

• Lieutenant
  • o
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 06:11:07 PM »
An easy solution would be to remove the pronoun in the events altogether. Example: "Through training or experience Commander Hilda Whatever's survey bonus increased to 30%," or to avoid the apostrophe, " ... Hilda Whatever increased survey bonus to 30%."

No real grammatical need for the current "has increased his survey bonus."

The following users thanked this post: Titanian

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 07:43:38 PM »
I'm in favor of just removing the pronouns. In a pinch, use "their." It's worked in a singular (as opposed to plural) sense since basically forever, so it works. Sometimes language is limited and needs to be tinkered with. Attaching gender (not to be confused with sex) to pronouns serves no useful function, anyway, unless irritating people is somehow useful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

The following users thanked this post: smoelf

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 01:03:03 PM »
Yeah, removing pronouns completely is probably the best way to go.

It would also be nice to have a toggle so you can elect to have only male names generated, perhaps by category so you can have an all-male military but have civilian leaders of either sex.  Sending female pilots into combat is also jarring from a roleplaying stance for those who don't envision a PC future!
Yeah, this has been asked before as well as the opposite for those playing the Syreen or something similar. Best option would be to have all male, all female, male military rest both, female military rest both options. But it would require leader name files to be gendered, which I have no idea of how difficult it would be.

Iranon

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 02:12:58 AM »
If we go through all this trouble, a percentage selection similar to secondary themes would be more appropriate.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue, superstrijder15

Offline obsidian_green

• Lieutenant
  • o
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 11:41:20 AM »
Yeah, removing pronouns completely is probably the best way to go.
Yeah, this has been asked before as well as the opposite for those playing the Syreen or something similar. Best option would be to have all male, all female, male military rest both, female military rest both options. But it would require leader name files to be gendered, which I have no idea of how difficult it would be.

The names aren't gendered already? I have yet to see a clearly gendered name display an inappropriate sex in the Commanders Screen; I've only seen ambiguous names like Joe or Leslie (or Laverne?) where the sex did not match expectation. Maybe that's a consequence of empire theme?

Problem still solved by just dropping the unrequired pronouns.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 11:46:42 AM »
If we go through all this trouble, a percentage selection similar to secondary themes would be more appropriate.
Agreed, that would be useful. As well as increasing the amount of secondary themes active at the same time.

The names aren't gendered already? I have yet to see a clearly gendered name display an inappropriate sex in the Commanders Screen; I've only seen ambiguous names like Joe or Leslie (or Laverne?) where the sex did not match expectation. Maybe that's a consequence of empire theme?

Problem still solved by just dropping the unrequired pronouns.
Oh, maybe I'm misremembering things and they are already gendered in the name file.