Author Topic: Regarding terraforming  (Read 2735 times)

Offline derekm67 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • d
Regarding terraforming
« on: June 30, 2017, 10:45:03 AM »
1.  Real a lot regarding terraforming.  Hope I am not re-inventing the wheel.  In order to add water to a planet, what about the ability to tow small comets to a planet that are otherwise useless in the game.  Setup the geo sensors that we mount on our craft to be able to not only detect how much water such a comet has but also whether the water is suitable, for instance, a comet containing mostly heavy water would not be a good idea as deutrium and tritium are isotopes of hydrogen that are not particularly good for you.  Anyway, tow such comets to a planet and then either a terraforming ship be able to take it and rain small iceterroids into the the planet or the towing ship be able to aim the comet at a glancing blow to the atmosphere in chunks so that it vaporizes in the atmosphere thus depositing water vapor that rains out.

2.  Would be cool to be able to send cargo ships to mine water from ice bodies in the outer solar system of a system that can then transport that water to a different world.  Would require large ships of course.  Also, would be nice if in the solar system view when you zoom in on a planet to look at it and its moons the planetary picture was available there to.

3.  Would be nice to be able to implant/generate a biosphere on a planet.  Would be necessary for planetary habitability and maintaining a breathable atmosphere after placement of such.  Besides, who wants to live on a barren rock no matter how breathable the atmosphere.

4.  What about some parameters if the planet already has a functioning biosphere.

5.  For planets to close or to far from there suns, what about being able to construct orbital star shades or mirrors and then being able to tow them into the correct place to make a world or moon habital.

6.  Regarding population, what about the ability to build arcologies on a world and thus increase the population cap slowly based on how many of them you build and the world can have.

7.  Would like to see orbital space colonies have an automatic switch to where when they reach their population capacity they just sustain their populations and not keep growing thus overcrowding the station.  That has happened to me.

8.  Saw it mentioned somewhere but planetary shield implacements would be nice.  Both, for maintaining an atmosphere on planets without magnetic fields and planetary protection against bombardment.

9.  Think it would be interesting if on rare occasions we had to protect  our planets from getting hit by an asteroid.  Rare of course but it is something we are currently worrying about in real life.

10.  Would love to see helium 3 added to the game mined from bodies like the moon and gas giants.  Would be necessary for all fusion based technologies, ie reactors, fusion drives.  Neutronic fusion tears up the devices using it with vast neutron radiation thus any thing using fusion you really really want aneutronic fusion which He3 promises.  Sorium would be something you add to such fuels the lack of which would lead to drives that could still function but with reduced range and speed.  Just an idea.

11.  Would like to see automated construction robots.  Use, build underground infrastructure and other installations ahead of colonization as live people in a construction crew though up to the job require rest and food and will take longer as they are slower than a robot that can keep working around the clock as long as it has energy.

12.  Lastly, would love to see the following.  I understand that despite beam weapon range they will only be so accurate against a hostile ship the further away it is but with the ability to design ships I think it would be cool if we could put a beam fire control on our ships comparable to a PDC's.  May cost a little a more but it should be doable.  Lastly on this note, moons, planets, comets, asteroids and orbital stations don't dodge.  They are set in their orbits.  Any computer can calculate that.  In those cases, the only limit on hitting them with a beam weapon should be the range of the beam weapon.  I think that last case would be much more realistic.

I appologize if I put to much into this post.  Was just my thoughts. 

PS - I really love this game.  Very addictive.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Regarding terraforming
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 01:06:58 PM »
Have you read these upcoming changes in the C# Aurora?
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg100078#msg100078
and
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg101987#msg101987
and
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg102115#msg102115

So that is stuff that is already coded into the new version Steve is building.

The following users thanked this post: derekm67

Offline derekm67 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • d
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 07:42:50 AM »
No I hadn't.  Thank you.  Will definitely check those out.

Offline derekm67 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • d
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 10:19:38 AM »
Read those.  They didn't cover a lot of things I mentioned but still thank you.