Author Topic: Decoy System and Drone Control  (Read 3210 times)

Offline DuraniumCowboy (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
Decoy System and Drone Control
« on: August 05, 2017, 08:17:58 AM »
I can't imagine this hasn't been brought up, but two systems (one for ships and one for missiles) that actually increase the cross section/tonnage that comes back from an active sensor.  Basically, being able to have a 4000 ton frigate appear as a 12,000 ton ship, or a missile/drone look like a ship.  This might really cause havoc with the AI though, as I can't see it being very good at making decisions about if a decoy is a real threat or not.

Also, if you could just have the ability to move/change a way point and then actually have a missile fly to the new coordinates, you could basically command control drones and missiles.  Once more, I am not sure if the AI could use this, so it might be unfair from a balance standpoint.  With that being said, A4X has always been more of an RP platform, so it could be an option for players that wanted it.  I know in old school AAR's there used to be a way to control command control missiles, but wasn't playing back then so I don't know the older mechanic or why it was dropped.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Decoy System and Drone Control
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 09:14:10 AM »
Welcome!

Something you might not know:  Steve uses the official Suggestions (and Bugs) thread(s) as a filing cabinet, so he has requested that we prefer posting into those threads rather than starting new threads.  If you have a suggestion that you know is going to generate a lot of discussion, it's ok to start a new thread and post a link to it in the official thread, but if you don't do that there's a good chance Steve will "lose" your suggestion if he tries to find it again after the initial read-through.

More details in "where should I post?" in the FAQ.

Have fun!!
John

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 11:38:11 PM »
I know in old school AAR's there used to be a way to control command control missiles, but wasn't playing back then so I don't know the older mechanic or why it was dropped.

I seem to recall finding the discussion of the change, from 'maybe this needs to go' to the announcement, in-thread when reading one of Steve's AARs. In any case, the problem was that it made missile defence futile; you could stack salvos infinitely by having them loiter at a waypoint while you ran your magazines dry, then drop them on the target in a single deathball.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:12:39 AM »
This could be fixed by requiring missiles being guided to require a fire control connection.  Like how the wire-guided torpedoes in Cold Waters work.