Author Topic: Tracking hostiles  (Read 2817 times)

Offline chrislocke2000 (OP)

• Captain
  • c
Tracking hostiles
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:49:19 AM »
Hey all

A bit of background
So I'm about 15 years into a new game and have been playing a bit of a turtle strategy by only exploring the systems immediately next to sol. Due to some poor results on the initial allocation of tech and a complete lack of sensor based scientists my sensor tech is dreadful with the best sensor available currently sitting at 100m for a 6000 ton ship.

The problem
So whilst merrily building up my infrastructure and growing two new colonies I suddenly get a new snesor contact just by Pluto - it's sheer luck that I get the ping based on the minining colony I have sat on one of the moons as the contact only has a thermal strength of 75. Based on trajectory it looks like its a grav survey ship. I have no idea where the thing came from and somewhat worried that they know where I live..

So the question is how would go about trying to track their home system down. I have seven systems round sol and probably a further 35 unexplored jump points past there. Three jump capable ships with very limited sensors (45 mil) and 6 of my own survey ships. Military is currently limited to a few PDCs.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Tracking hostiles
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:55:59 AM »
How many JPs in Sol? Can you station one ship at each JP so you at least know which direction they came from?

Whilst you are doing that, design a mine and a mine layer and drop a couple dozen if you don't manage to get communications with them.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 07:13:37 AM »
It's very damned "JP dormient"..and other side someone had open directly into SOL..

Good luck out there:))

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 07:39:35 AM »
I have six known jump points in Sol and only three ships with sensors and two of those are part of survey teams. Think i'm going to pull one of those back to Sol and picket the jump points as suggested.

Forgot that I may have missed a JP due to the NPR opening up a new one - how do I rescan to make sure that's not the case?

Luckily for me I seem to be making decent progress in communicating with them.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:57:44 AM »
Forgot that I may have missed a JP due to the NPR opening up a new one - how do I rescan to make sure that's not the case?

Visit all the survey points again with a warp survey ship.  I would start in the direction of the bad guys, since JP are detected by surveying a nearby point that is outside the radius of the JP.

John

PS - I suspect there's no way to tell Aurora to pretend the survey points are unsurveyed without wiping out your existing knowledge of the JPs.  If that's the case, you might want to log fixing this as a suggestion....

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:30:35 AM »
There is a sm function button on the system display screen (F9) that resets the jump point survey status.  It does not remove knowledge of jump points that you already know about.  I use it when I want to resurvey a system as I can then use the default commands to survey the system again.

Brian

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »
There is a sm function button on the system display screen (F9) that resets the jump point survey status.  It does not remove knowledge of jump points that you already know about.  I use it when I want to resurvey a system as I can then use the default commands to survey the system again.

Thx - I couldn't remember if the button was there or not....

John

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 07:17:51 AM »
I suspect there's no way to tell Aurora to pretend the survey points are unsurveyed without wiping out your existing knowledge of the JPs.  If that's the case, you might want to log fixing this as a suggestion....

If you press the "No JP Survey" button on the F9 system view, that will set all survey locations as unsurveyed. All your existing knowledge of jump points will be retained. This button is meant to be used if you suspect there is a dormant JP in the system.

Steve

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 04:54:02 AM »
Thanks Guys, the SM function worked a treat and I was able to re-check Sol for new warp points.

Nothing doing but one of my pickets detected a jump gate transit and I've just discovered the wonderful "follow" option for a contact, now to see where its going.

My big concern now is that the one system down the chain from that jump point which I've not explored is a nebula system and I've gone for nothing but missile tech at the moment......

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 04:56:53 AM »
Thanks Guys, the SM function worked a treat and I was able to re-check Sol for new warp points.

Nothing doing but one of my pickets detected a jump gate transit and I've just discovered the wonderful "follow" option for a contact, now to see where its going.

My big concern now is that the one system down the chain from that jump point which I've not explored is a nebula system and I've gone for nothing but missile tech at the moment......

Obviously..a thrilling situation:)))

Good luck out there.