Author Topic: NATO vs Soviets: Part 15  (Read 8209 times)

Offline Wintrow

• Leading Rate
  • W
Re: NATO vs Soviets: Part 15
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 10:33:51 AM »
I think it's not all that comfortable anymore.  There's still some lingering radioactivity from the first Soviet-Sino war.  The global temperature is a few degrees (4?) lower as well and that would make winters murder and summers short and fairly cold.
Look at the current real word disaster in Japan.  Most media are now focused on the problems with the nuclear reactors.  On a global scale, the amount of radioactive material being released there is not all that much (locally its another story though).
 Imagine that panic and media hype x100.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 01:43:19 PM »
Why would there be radioactivity?
There weren't any missiles fired on the ground?
Also, hype and panic don't translate into an uncomfortable life.
It's gonna be a bit lonely, but the house prices will drop.
I'll have to read 6 and 7 again to check.

Offline vergeraiders

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 10:04:47 AM »
I can't imagine the vast, unpopulated lands of the 'Nato' countries would be worse than war ravaged China. I think the real world pop of those areas is at least 800 mil, lots of room to expand and pick the most temperate areas. There could even be a short term common intrest between the NATO leaders and the chinese people. Emigrate to Nato, improve your standard of living (and that of China itself) and support the Earth first nato leaders. Of course the Chinese could take the long view and figure they will be the major voting bloc when all the native Nato pop moves to Eridani.

Offline Wintrow

• Leading Rate
  • W
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »
Re-reading part 7 (and, uh, everything else in anticipation of part 16 :) ).   

On the 7th of April 3032 China nuked soviet ground forces causing the surface temperature of the Earth to drop by nine degrees.    Radiation reduces industrial output by over nine thousand percent worldwide.   

We're in 2039 as of part 15.    I have no idea how much Earth has recovered in the mean time.   
Man, even very limited, low-yield nuclear detonations really screw up planets.     :o

Seconding that hope china gets back on its feet.   They had very different ship designs (using beams instead of missiles) and ways of colonizing (no-one else uses genetic engineering).   They where different and interesting. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 02:49:13 PM by Wintrow »

Offline Vulcanphsyco

• Leading Rate
  • V
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 01:58:10 AM »
Still, if anyone is going to be able to make the most out of an earth in that condition, it's the Chinese. They're bio-engineering is hardly going to stop. Infact, I can see it making them very competitive in ways that the ER and Soviet's wouldn't anticipate.

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 06:27:05 AM »
While they have the facilities from what I've read they haven't formally generated new sub species. I could be wrong about that but if they did actually create a new species it would have been an event worthy log entry.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 07:05:02 AM »
Well, it's sad the game current doesn't allow for military exploitation of that technology. That would really help the Chinese.
Supersoldiers, living ships...  ;D

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 07:41:55 AM »
Well, it's sad the game current doesn't allow for military exploitation of that technology. That would really help the Chinese.

Organic FAC parasites for the host ship & Acid or corrosive missile Warheads... The Bio-Tech Department of Space Oriented Bio-Warfare is somewhat under budget thanks to some guy mapping the human genome...  >:(

A hive-mind Government Type race can dream.  :-[

Offline Deutschbag

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: Pwnzerfaust
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »

... That would be cool. Say, research a strength modifier to your ground forces? For instance, first level gives you a +1% strength, then +2%, then say +4%, up to like.... 10-20%. The modifier would compound with the modifier from the Logistics & Ground Combat section. So like, the L&GC section would be equipment and the like, and then the stuff in biology would be modifications and enhancements...

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 07:54:33 PM »
Well, thats essentially for A2.
That could actually allow GF to have modifiers based on terrain and atmosphere, and biotech would allow th fight better in adverse conditions, reduce morale drop, and maybe even slowly recover readiness by quick healing.
On the other hand, there could be cybernetics that increase direct combat capability and allow to just shut down the soldiers for transport in dropships ;)
It's a really far way till then.
I think steve could roleplay that by just giving chinese an extra point GF strength at some point ;)

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 08:30:32 AM »
Just chiming in, reinstalled Aurora after your resolution change.  Nice AAR!
Fun Fact: The minimum engine power of any ship engine in Aurora C# is 0.01. The maximum is 120000!