Author Topic: Official v5.50 Bugs Thread  (Read 85714 times)

Offline Tssha

• Petty Officer
Re: Official v5.50 Bugs Thread
« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2011, 01:23:31 PM »
Error in IndustrialProjects

Error 11 was generated by Aurora
Division by zero

I believe it's caused by a lack of fuel for my Research Lab project, which was reported that turn (and once before on a previous production cycle with the same error).   Guess I'm running out of gas.   Fuel reserves are zero.   I also finished a ship that turn and it wasn't fuelled fully.   That might've contributed (by yanking all the fuel out of my reserves).

Project did complete though.   I've got a new Research Lab.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
Error in IndustrialProjects

Error 11 was generated by Aurora
Division by zero

I believe it's caused by a lack of fuel for my Research Lab project, which was reported that turn (and once before on a previous production cycle with the same error).   Guess I'm running out of gas.   Fuel reserves are zero.   I also finished a ship that turn and it wasn't fuelled fully.   That might've contributed (by yanking all the fuel out of my reserves).

Project did complete though.   I've got a new Research Lab.

Research labs do not consume fuel. All they need are population.

Check your minerals. See if you have enough for everything.

Offline Tssha

• Petty Officer
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2011, 12:34:36 PM »
There's no mineral shortages, I can assure you.    I've been letting my Duranium accumulate and I've got plenty of Mercassium.    Wealth and work force is not a problem.    The message says "Fuel Shortage in Production of Research Lab on Earth" and I've gotten it not just once, but twice. 

I'm fairly certain this only happens when I complete a ship.    When ships refuel on orders and empty the reserve that way, I don't get the message. 

I can upload a copy of the log in txt format.    In fact, I've already done so on my own web space, but I can't share the url.    My young account and post count most likely.    I am willing to provide it through any means available. 

EDIT: It just happened again.   Another ship completed and it reported "Fuel Shortage in Production of Fuel Refinery on Earth".   I've got enough Duranium, though I'm running out so I'm not producing as many refineries as I'd like.   I haven't hit a shortage yet though.   Still 217 in the stockpile and plenty pouring in via mass driver.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:02:29 PM by Tssha »

Offline Feujak

• Leading Rate
  • F
« Reply #198 on: August 30, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »
Is there an option to disable error report ?

Quote from: ndkid link=topic=3895.  msg38321#msg38321 date=1313436928
I'm getting repeated Error in CheckForRuins in my current 5.  52 game.   Error 3421: Data Type Conversion error.   There is a planet that I believe will contain ruins, but I am not currently in a system with one, so my guess is that the defenders of said planet are managing to cause the problem themselves, or possibly with other outside help. 

EDIT: I think I now have a little more data on this bug.   I am in combat with a squad of missle-throwing ships (a few 12000-ish tons, a few 6000-ish tons) that have run out of missiles, allowing my laser-only ships to close to range.   For each shot that hits and does damage, I'm getting one of these CheckForRuins errors.   This is in addition to often getting them when my time increments are shortened due to NPRs fighting each other. 

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #199 on: August 30, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but when a ship is built, it leaves the shipyard fully fueled 100%. The actual text of the message might be wrong "Fuel Shortage in Production of Research Lab on Earth" might have been meant to be "Fuel Shortage in Production of Ship on Earth"  I would check your fuel supply on Earth ( not the sorium amount, actual fuel) and the amount on the just completed ship or ships. Just an idea.

Offline Tssha

• Petty Officer
« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2011, 07:45:01 PM »
Quote from: Zed 6 link=topic=3895.  msg39136#msg39136 date=1314735978
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but when a ship is built, it leaves the shipyard fully fueled 100%.   The actual text of the message might be wrong "Fuel Shortage in Production of Research Lab on Earth" might have been meant to be "Fuel Shortage in Production of Ship on Earth"  I would check your fuel supply on Earth ( not the sorium amount, actual fuel) and the amount on the just completed ship or ships.   Just an idea.

No, I already know I don't have enough fuel to fill up my ships.    That's why I'm building fuel refineries.    What I'm saying is the divide by zero error is popping up on ship completion and I'm getting an odd report in the events log that says I've run short of fuel in the production of an installation.    Fuel which it certainly doesn't need.    At least it isn't holding up production, just giving me weird errors. 

I'm not building any missiles.    My ships don't fuel up fully, but that is to be expected.    I don't have a problem with this, juggling a fuel shortage is just another strategic decision.    I'm just reporting the bug as the error message asked me to. 

Offline Paul

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »
Few bugs with tractoring ships:

You can link ships like a train using the tractor target ship command, and it doesn't even take the third ship into account for speed - so a ship pulling a ship pulling a ship only takes into account the first two ships for mass. The way it works is you tractor one ship, then give an order to tractor another - and it apparently sees the newly tractored ship as a second free tractor beam even though it's linked to the first.

Ships being tractored are removed from the task group when suffering a maintenance failure, even when it doesn't damage anything. This could be because the station I was tractoring didn't have any engines. They are still linked by tractor, so using the absorb task group command from the tug will put it back in.

Speaking of the removal thing, could the behavior of removing ships from task groups when suffering damage be made optional based on the group? If a fighter ship gets disabled removing it from the fighter group is good, the rest of the group can still keep fighting and I can pick up the disabled fighter after the battle. But if my military flagship takes an engine hit I don't want the rest of the task group just flying off and leaving it.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #202 on: September 01, 2011, 05:30:06 AM »
I am going away for a few days. When I get back next week I will go through the bugs thread and sort out a new version.

Steve

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #203 on: September 01, 2011, 09:43:49 AM »
Steve,

Many thanks for your continued interest in removing bugs for our enjoyment.

Aurora has proved to be the reason I am spending far too much time at a computer rather than being out in the fresh air taking photographs whilst the weather in the UK allows.

DavidR

Offline Waffles

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #204 on: September 01, 2011, 09:46:33 AM »
Get an error while trying to create a ship class. Dunno what casues this, but it happens every time. Then i get an endless cycle of the last error. Here's a picture of the error. Which also shows that the description window for ship parts is completely shot aswell.

I'll try to install it to someplace else than Program Files to see if that fixes it.

EDIT: tried installing it to My Documents. Same problem.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:02:47 AM by Waffles »

Offline Sloshmonger

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #205 on: September 01, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »
Get an error while trying to create a ship class. Dunno what casues this, but it happens every time. Then i get an endless cycle of the last error. Here's a picture of the error. Which also shows that the description window for ship parts is completely shot aswell.

I'll try to install it to someplace else than Program Files to see if that fixes it.

EDIT: tried installing it to My Documents. Same problem.

Are you trying to add a component, or a new ship? If a new ship, try Alt-N as well as clicking.

Offline Herode

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #206 on: September 01, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »
@Waffles : considering the error messages, I guess you should describe step by step what you are doing / where you are clicking when this error arises. And also, what are your locale settings. Bugs are often context-sensitive (that's why they are hive minded, btw  :) )

Offline Waffles

• Chief Petty Officer
  • W
« Reply #207 on: September 02, 2011, 08:24:39 AM »
Okay, step by step guide for how I fudged the game.

1. Click create new class button or whatever it was called to design a new ship
2.Try to add components
3. select any component
4. The description window says Text1 and nothing else
5. Try to add any amount of said component
6. Get errors previously mentioned

And i'll have to check my locale settings, actually. Quite unsure as to what they currently are.

Actually, I tried to quickly change my location setting to US incase that would help but no dice. And I checked the decimal separator and it's a . and not a ,

EDIT: Wait just a gosh darned minute. Apparently Alt N fixed it. Who knew? (Sloshmonger obviously)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:26:41 AM by Waffles »

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #208 on: September 02, 2011, 02:23:55 PM »
Capturing a spawned robotic colony will hand control of a large number of precursor vessels.  I could imagine that this is essentially finding a subspace control module that granted ship control, but somehow I doubt its working as intended.  Most of these ships are being obliterated, but at least this one honking anti-missile missile base they gave me won't be defending the offensive missile base it co-orbits with.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #209 on: September 02, 2011, 02:32:14 PM »
Here's one for you.

Created a new game. Not using real star systems. Not a Sol/Human start.

Select the SM Race, go to F9.

Issue 1. I can see all the races in the Environmental Tolerance except mine.

Issue 2. All the systems generated are Proxima Centauri. I now (currently) have 4 Proxima Centauri systems, with different system ids.

Addendum... Playing the game, and the first JP explored leads to... Proxima Centauri ???
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:42:28 PM by Erik Luken »