Author Topic: System Map Advanced wiki page  (Read 3606 times)

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
System Map Advanced wiki page
« on: April 10, 2010, 04:01:03 AM »
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)
"A government big enough to give you everyt

Offline Hyfrydle

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
Re: System Map Advanced wiki page
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 02:54:24 PM »
This would be very useful to people new to the game. The more info on the wiki the better. From what I can see it looks fine well done.

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »
I have a couple questions for the Display tab section, I was hoping someone could answer. They aren't highlighted above, so I'll put the questions here:

For the following lines:
- Show Next Order: Toggles whether or not a Fleet's next orders are shown next to it's name.
- Show Order Time and Distance: Toggles whether or not a Fleet's distance to target and estimated time to arrival is shown next to it's name. This information is only shown if "Show Next Order" is toggled on.
- Show Fleet/Contact Headings: Toggle whether or not a Fleet's or Contact's travel heading are shown next to it's name.

Should I use the term "Fleet" or "Task Group." While those two terms are used interchangeably, I don't want confusion with a "Task Fleet."

For the following line:
- Show Events: Toggles whether or not race events are displayed at the bottom of the System Map screen.

I'd like an explanation of "race events." I wasn't able to find any posts on exactly which events are "race events."
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 06:13:44 PM »
Quote from: "AndonSage"
I have a couple questions for the Display tab section, I was hoping someone could answer. They aren't highlighted above, so I'll put the questions here:

For the following lines:
- Show Next Order: Toggles whether or not a Fleet's next orders are shown next to it's name.
- Show Order Time and Distance: Toggles whether or not a Fleet's distance to target and estimated time to arrival is shown next to it's name. This information is only shown if "Show Next Order" is toggled on.
- Show Fleet/Contact Headings: Toggle whether or not a Fleet's or Contact's travel heading are shown next to it's name.

Should I use the term "Fleet" or "Task Group." While those two terms are used interchangeably, I don't want confusion with a "Task Fleet."
TG is a much better term.  "Fleet" is a hold-over from the very early days, and is likely to evolve into a higher formation (i.e. what's called Task Force now or even something above that).
For the following line:
- Show Events: Toggles whether or not race events are displayed at the bottom of the System Map screen.

I'd like an explanation of "race events." I wasn't able to find any posts on exactly which events are "race events."

This should probably read "empire events".  In the early days, empires could only have a single race (in programming terms, the empire and the race were jumbled together in the same object).  At some point Steve decoupled races from empires - an empire can have populations of different races, and the same race can form a population in different empires.  Events are specific to empires, not to races.

John

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 12:21:48 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
TG is a much better term.  "Fleet" is a hold-over from the very early days, and is likely to evolve into a higher formation (i.e. what's called Task Force now or even something above that).
That's what I figured. I wonder if Steve should change "Fleet" references to "Task Group" then? Think I should put this in the suggestions thread?

Quote from: "sloanjh"
This should probably read "empire events".
So noted. However, what I was referring to are the specific events, or class of events, that get displayed. For example, a Mineral Survey will not be displayed, but a Commander getting experience will be displayed. Any idea if there is a list of the events (or class of event) that will be displayed?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »
This should probably read "empire events". So noted. However, what I was referring to are the specific events, or class of events, that get displayed. For example, a Mineral Survey will not be displayed, but a Commander getting experience will be displayed. Any idea if there is a list of the events (or class of event) that will be displayed?

Hm, Mineral Survey Events _should_ be displayed, except if you have deselected them.

Open the event window, click on "Filter Events". There is your list of all types of events. You can select/deselect them by double-clicking on them. Any event marked red, will not be displayed. Clicking again on "Filter Events" returns you to the regular event window.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:36:17 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
Hm, Mineral Survey Events _should_ be displayed, except if you have deselected them.

Open the event window, click on "Filter Events". There is your list of all types of events. You can select/deselect them by double-clicking on them. Any event marked red, will not be displayed. Clicking again on "Filter Events" returns you to the regular event window.
I had never even clicked on Filter Events, so couldn't have deselected any :) But I went ahead and brought up the Filter, and nothing was in red. I checked the specific event, Minerals Located, and it's listed on the Filter in black.

I wonder if it's somehow associated with changing the background color of the Minerals Located event? That's the only thing I had changed. I'll do some more testing, see if I can pinpoint the problem. Thanks for the info.

Offline AndonSage (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 06:18:42 AM »
One question I forgot to ask...

In the Detail tab, Objects box, I can't see the Colonies checkbox doing anything, whether it's checked or not. Am I missing something?

I've also started entering the information into the wiki. Here's the link in case anyone is interested in taking a look.
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=System_Map_-_Complete_Reference